National & International Appointments
1. RBI approves reappointment of N Kamakodi as MD and CEO of City Union Bank
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has approved the reappointment of N Kamakodi as Managing Director and CEO of City Union Bank.
- The tenure of his re-appointment would be for a period of three years with effect from May 1, 2023.
- He joined the bank as deputy general manager in 2003 and was elevated to general manager in 2005.
- In 2006, he was appointed as executive director.
- From May 2011, he was serving the bank as its managing director and chief executive officer.
2. Cooperation Minister Amit Shah launched IFFCO's nano DAP
- Cooperation Minister, Amit Shah has launched IFFCO's nano liquid Di-ammonium phosphate (DAP) fertilizer for commercial sale at Rs 600 per 500 ml bottle.
- Aim: Farmers to use nano urea and DAP extensively to make the country self-reliant and reduce import dependence
- One bottle (500 ml) of nano-liquid DAP is equivalent to one bag (50kg) of conventional granular DAP, which is currently being sold at Rs 1,350.
- In 2021, IFFCO launched the world's first nano urea fertilizer.
3. Cabinet approves National Medical Devices Policy, 2023
- The Union government has approved the National Medical Devices Policy, 2023 to reduce India’s heavy import dependence on the medical sector.
- It will help the Medical Devices Sector, grow from the present 11 billion USD to 50 billion USD in the next five years.
- It also aims to facilitate orderly growth of the medical device sector to meet the public health objectives of access, affordability, and innovation.
- The Cabinet has also approved establishing 157 nursing colleges
4. NITI Aayog released report titled Promoting Millets in Diets
- NITI Aayog has released a report titled Promoting Millets in Diets: Best Practices across States and Union Territories of India.
- The report was released by NITI Aayog Vice Chairman Suman K. Bery.
- Report's theme:
- State Missions and initiatives to promote millets;
- Inclusion of millets in ICDS;
- Research and development and use of technology for innovative practices
- It will serve as a guiding repository to revive and mainstream millets in our diets.
5. International Girls in ICT Day 2023: 27 April
- International Girls in ICT Day is celebrated annually on the fourth Thursday of April to encourage and empower girls and young women to explore and pursue careers in the field of Information and Communication Technology (ICT).
- In 2023, it is being observed on April 27.
- 2023 theme: Digital Skills for Life
- It raised awareness about the gender gap in the tech industry and inspires women to consider careers in ICT.
- This day was declared by ITU on April 8, 2011.
6. US President, South Korean President secured a landmark deal
- US President Joe Biden and South Korean President Yoon Suk-Yeol have secured a landmark deal.
- It includes plans to periodically deploy US nuclear-armed submarines in South Korea.
- This deal will be known as the Washington Declaration and strengthen the allies' cooperation in deterring a North Korean attack.
- The declaration comes amid rising concerns about nuclear threats from North Korea as the country carries out a record number of ballistic missile tests.
Honours & Awards
7. IIT Bombay secures second place in ‘Solar Decathlon’ Build Challenge
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Bombay’s SHUNYA team has secured second place in Solar Decathlon Build Challenge in the United States.
- Reason: For their innovative zero-energy house designed to address air quality challenges in Mumbai's hot and humid climate.
- SHUNYA refers to Sustainable Housing for Urbanizing Nation by its Young Aspirants.
- It is a student-driven technical team of IIT Bombay working to build a sustainable future.
Honours & Awards
8. Dalai Lama received 1959 Ramon Magsaysay Award in person after 64 years
- The Tibetan spiritual leader, Dalai Lama has received the 1959 Ramon Magsaysay Award by members of the award foundation personally after 64 years.
- It was the first international award given for his Community Leadership in recognition of his leadership of the Tibetan community's gallant struggle in defense of the sacred religion that is the inspiration of their life and culture.
- The Ramon Magsaysay Award is often called the Nobel Prize of Asia.
Banking & Finance
9. Reliance General to accept CBDC e-Rupee through Yes Bank
- Reliance General Insurance has become India's first general insurance company to accept the RBI's Central Bank Digital Currency (CBDC) e-Rupee for premium payments.
- Aim: To provide customers with an easy, safe, instant, and green payment solution
- The company has partnered with Yes Bank to enable premium collection.
- Customers with an active e-wallet with any bank can scan Reliance General Insurance's e-Rupee QR code to make immediate payments.
10. Veteran Malayalam actor Mamukkoya passes away
- Veteran Malayalam actor-comedian Mamukkoya passed away at 77 due to cardiac arrest.
- He started his acting career by doing theatre in 1979, then he went on to become an actor by doing comic roles and was popular for playing characters that spoke Malabar accent.
- He acted in around 500 films, including comedies like Sandesam, Nadodikkattu, Innathe Chintha Vishayam, and Varavelpu.
- He won several awards and honours for his various roles during his extensive career.
11. Centre inks MoU with Art of Living as part of Nasha Mukt Bharat Abhiyaan
- The Department of Social Justice and Empowerment has signed an MoU with Art of Living as part of its Nasha Mukt Bharat Abhiyaan.
- The signing ceremony was held at Dr. Ambedkar International Centre in New Delhi.
- This campaign will get a boost towards achieving a drug-sensitized India.
- The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment (MoSJE) has been implementing the National Action Plan for Drug Demand Reduction (NAPDDR) to curb the menace of drug demand.
Honours & Awards
12. RINL wins Ispat Rajbhasha Samman for 2021-22
- Rashtriya Ispat Nigam (RINL) has bagged Steel Ministry’s "Ispat Rajbhasha Samman" for the year 2021-22.
- The award was presented by the MoS for Steel and Rural Development Faggan Singh Kulaste to CMD, RINL Atul Bhatt, in the meeting of Hindi Salahkar Samiti held at Srinagar.
- The minister also released RINL's March issue of Hindi In-house Magazine "Rashtriya Ispat Sugandh".
- The members of Hindi Salahkar Samiti appreciated various activities being undertaken by RINL.
13. World Intellectual Property Day 2023: 26th April
- The world commemorates World Intellectual Property Day on April 26 for promoting awareness of intellectual property and its safeguarding.
- The theme for the 2023 celebration of World Intellectual Property Day is "Women and IP: Accelerating Innovation and Creativity".
- This day was initially proposed during the 33rd Assembly Session of the WIPO Member States in September 1988, and it was officially established on August 9th, 1999.
Commentswrite a comment