Honours & Awards
1. England Test captain Ben Stokes named Men's Test Cricketer of the Year 2022
- The International Cricket Council (ICC) has selected Ben Stokes (England Test captain) as the Men's Test Cricketer of the Year 2022.
- While England all-rounder, Nat Sciver won the Rachael Heyhoe Flint Trophy for ICC Women's Cricketer of the Year 2022.
- Other winners (Cricketer of the Year 2022):
- Women's ODI: Nat Sciver
- Men's ODI: Babar Azam (Pakistan)
- Women's T20: Tahlia McGrath (Australia)
- Men's T20: Suryakumar Yadav (India)
- Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy: Babar Azam
Honours & Awards
2. Padma Awards for year 2023 announced
- The government of India announced the Padma Awards 2023 on the eve of the 74th Republic Day (26th January 2023).
- Of the 106 Padma awards, six are Padma Vibhushan, nine are Padma Bhushan and 91 are Padma Shri.
- Nineteen of the Padma awardees are women.
- ORS pioneer, Dilip Mahalanobis will be awarded the Padma Vibhushan posthumously in the field of Medicine (Pediatrics).
- Mulayam Singh Yadav will be awarded Padma Vibhushan posthumously in the field of public affairs.
3. India observed 74th Republic Day on 26th January 2023
- India observed its 74th Republic Day on 26th January 2023.
- Theme: Jan Bhagidari
- Chief Guest: Abdel Fattah El-Sisi (Egyptian President))
- For the first time, 21-gun salute was given with 105-mm Indian Field Guns, replacing the vintage 25-pounder gun.
- Female BSF camel riders participated in the parade showcasing women's empowerment.
- The Naval contingent of 144 young sailors was led by women officer Lieutenant Commander Disha Amrith.
Honours & Awards
4. President approves 412 Gallantry Awards for Defence personnel
- President of India, Droupadi Murmu has approved 412 Gallantry awards and other Defence decorations to Armed Forces personnel and others.
- These awards include six Kirti Chakras and 15 Shaurya Chakras.
- It also includes one Bar to Sena Medal (Gallantry), 92 Sena Medals, one Nao Sena Medal (Gallantry), seven Vayu Sena Medals (Gallantry), and 29 Param Vishisht Seva Medals.
- President has also awarded President’s Tatrakshak Medal and Tatrakshak Medal to ICG Personnel.
5. Har Ghar Nal Se Jal drive will be completed by 2024
- National Centre for Good Governance DG, Bharat Lal has addressed a Conference on “Water Security for high Economic Growth and Prosperity at 14th South Asia Conference on Think20@G20, New Delhi.
- The “Har Ghar Nal Se Jal” drive under Jal Jeevan Mission will be completed by 2024.
- It is being implemented in a unique bottom-up and decentralized approach by mobilizing Village Water and Sanitation Committees to manage the village water supply infrastructure.
6. India signs agreement with Egypt for content exchange
- India and Egypt sign an MoU to facilitate content exchange, and Co-Productions between Prasar Bharati and the National Media Authority of Egypt.
- It was signed by Anurag Singh Thakur (I&B Minister) and Sameh Hassan Shoukry (Minister of Foreign Affairs, Egypt).
- Aim: To expand the reach of DD India Channel to showcase the country’s progress through programmes.
- It will be valid for three years and will also facilitate co-productions and training of the officials.
7. International Customs Day 2023: 26th January 2023
- International Customs Day (ICD) is observed every year on January 26 globally to commemorate the maiden session of the World Customs Organization (WCO) held in 1953.
- Theme 2023: Nurturing the next generation: Promoting a culture of knowledge-sharing and professional pride in Customs
- The WCO was previously known as the Customs Co-operation Council (CCC).
- It was formed in 1952 in Brussels.
- Aim of WCO: To boost the efficiency of customs authorities.
8. NITI Aayog's AIM, CBSE, and Intel India collaborate
- The Atal Innovation Mission, Central Board of Secondary Education(CBSE), and Intel India have collaborated to bring a change in the education sector.
- They will embed future skills such as Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Tinkering in the formal curriculum.
- Aim: To align the National Education Policy 2020’s guidance to increase the pace of tech integration for youth, the need to bridge the future skills gap in the country, and optimize the current infrastructure.
9. Centre launched U-WIN platform for children and pregnant women
- The government of India has launched the U-WIN platform.
- Aim: To digitize India’s Universal Immunisation Programme (UIP).
- It has been launched in pilot mode across two districts of each state and union territory.
- This platform will help in registering and vaccinating every pregnant woman, recording her delivery outcome, and administering birth vaccinations and all immunizations.
- It will also act as a single source of information for reminders of upcoming vaccine doses.
National & International Appointments
10. Nagaland observed 3rd edition of annual Orange festival 2023
- Nagaland observed the third edition of the annual Orange festival 2023 at Rusoma village, Kohima district.
- The two-day festival was organized in collaboration with the Department of Horticulture, Agriculture, Rural Development, Land Resources, and Kohima Smart City.
- Aim: To recognize and celebrate the hard work of the orange growers.
- It also facilitates the market linkages to sell their produce at one hub.
- Nagaland capital: Kohima, Chief minister: Neiphiu Rio
Commentswrite a comment