Honours & Awards
1. Smriti Mandhana named as ICC women’s Cricketer of the Year
- International Cricket Council (ICC) has announced the winners of 17th ICC Awards for 2021 to recognize best international cricket players
- Rachael Heyhoe Flint Trophy for ICC Women’s Cricketer of the Year: Smriti Mandhana (India)
- Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy for ICC Men’s Cricketer of the Year: Shaheen Afridi (Pakistan)
- ICC Umpire of the Year: Marais Erasmus
- ICC Men’s T20I Cricketer: Mohammad Rizwan (Pakistan)
- ICC Women’s T20I Cricketer: Tammy Beaumont (England)
Honours & Awards
2. Tamil socio-drama 'Jai Bhim' nominated for Oscar 2022
- Suriya's hard-hitting Tamil socio-drama ‘Jai Bhim’ has been nominated for best feature film in Oscar 2022.
- It is in competition with other acclaimed flicks like 'Jockey,' 'Cruella,' 'Dune, 'Eternals,' 'Godzilla VS Kong,' 'King Richard,' among other movies.
- It is inspired by a real-life incident from the 1990s in Tamil Nadu.
- Jai Bhim is the fourth Indian film to get nominated for Oscars after Mother India, Salaam Bombay, and Lagaan.
3. Mansukh Mandaviya launches Revamped CGHS Website and Mobile App
- Union Health Minister, Mansukh Mandaviya has digitally launched revamped CGHS (Central Government Health Scheme) website (www.cghs.gov.in) and mobile app, ‘MyCGHS’.
- Revamped CGHS website linked with mobile app is an important and timely step towards catering to India’s increasing digital penetration.
- It has several updated features which shall hugely benefit more than 40 lakhs beneficiaries (both in-service and retired personnel) with real-time information
4. National Voters’ Day: 25th January
- National Voters’ Day is observed every year in India on 25th January to mark the foundation of Election Commission of India (25th January 1950).
- Theme: ‘Making Elections Inclusive, Accessible and Participative’.
- It was first observed in 2011.
- This year, Minister for Law and Justice Kiren Rijiju will be the Guest of Honour.
- On this occasion, National Awards for the Best Electoral Practises for 2021-22 will be conferred on State and District level officers
Honours & Awards
5. Indian Oil to receive 'Global Healthy Workplace Award'
- Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL) has emerged as the first Indian PSU to win Global Healthy Workplace Award 2021 in 'Large Scale Industry’ category
- Award has been conferred on IOCL due to upholding best healthy practices at the workplace
- The award also honours company's extensive endeavours to support its employees mental and physical wellbeing to nurture a happy, positive and productive workplace.
- Chairperson of IOCL: Shrikant Madhav Vaidya
- Headquarters: New Delhi
Honours & Awards
6. PM confers Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Bal Puraskar 2022
- PM Modi has conferred 29 Children with the Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Bal Puraskar 2022, from all regions of the country for their exceptional achievements
- Award is presented in Innovation (7), Social Service (4), Scholastic (1), Sports (8), Art & Culture (6) and Bravery (3) categories.
- Digital certificates was given to winners of PMRBP 2021 and 2022 using Block Chain-driven technology developed by IIT Kanpur under National Blockchain Project
- Cash prize: Rs.1,00,000
7. IPL 2022 Lucknow franchise to be called Lucknow Super Giants
- Lucknow's IPL franchise, which is owned by Sanjiv Goenka (RPSG Group), has been renamed Lucknow Super Giants ahead of the Indian Premier League (IPL) 2022 mega auction.
- The official IPL team of Lucknow crowdsourced its name from fans and consumer engagement campaign was launched on social media on 3rd Jan 2022.
- Lucknow team roped-in KL Rahul as their captain and also roped in Australia all-rounder Marcus Stoinis and leg-spinner Ravi Bishnoi.
8. Eminent archaeologist Thiru R. Nagaswamy passes away in Chennai
- Noted Indian historian, archaeologist and epigraphist from Tamil Nadu, Ramachandran Nagaswamy (91 years) passed away.
- He was the first director of Tamil Nadu government’s Department of Archaeology.
- He was known for his work on temple inscriptions and art history of Tamil Nadu.
- Awards: Padma Bhushan in 2018.
- He has authored more than 100 books and his latest book was ‘Senthamizh Naadum Pandbum’, published in January 2022.
9. National Tourism Day of India: 25th January
- National Tourism Day is observed in India every year on 25th January to promote tourism and raise awareness about the importance of tourism for the country’s economy.
- Theme: ‘Rural and Community Centric Tourism’.
- Indian government established National Tourism Day to cultivate awareness among the global community on the importance of tourism
- The day demonstrate tourism affects on social, political, financial, cultural worth and economic values worldwide
10. Delhi police unearths cyber fraud module transferring Cryptocurrency
- Delhi police has unearthed a cyber fraud module sending crypto funds into wallets of Al-Qassam Brigades, the armed branch of the banned terrorist organization Hamas.
- The information came when complainant had reported that some unknown persons had fraudulently transferred their Bitcoins, Etherum, and Bitcoin cash from their cryptocurrency wallet.
- Transferred cryptocurrency was touted to be worth Rs 30 lakhs.
Arts & Culture
11. Ministry of Culture organized ‘Umang’ to celebrate National Girl Child Day
- Ministry of Culture has organized ‘Umang Rangoli Utsav’ on the occasion of National Girl Child Day (24th January 2022).
- Participants drew rangoli on the roads and squares named after female freedom fighters or the female role models of the country at more than 70 locations in 19 states.
- The event also celebrated ‘Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav’ to appreciate the contributions of women to the journey of a progressive India@75.
12. Volume 2 of Vision Document on Electronics Manufacturing released
- Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology, in association with ICEA has released 5-year roadmap and Vision Document for the electronics sector titled ‘$300 bn Sustainable Electronics Manufacturing & Exports by 2026'.
- It is the second volume of two-part Vision Document, which was released in November 2021.
- It provides year-wise break-up and production projections for the various products that will lead India’s transformation.