Honours & Awards
1. Allu Arjun wins Best Actor award at 69th National Film Awards for Pushpa
- Allu Arjun won the Best Actor award at the 69th National Film Awards for his movie 'Pushpa: The Rise' (Directed by: Sukumar).
- Alia Bhatt and Kriti Sanon won the Best Actress award for their phenomenal roles in Gangubai Kathiawadi and Mimi, respectively.
- Other awards:
- Best Feature Film: Rocketry
- Best Director: Nikhil Mahajan (Godavari)
- Best Popular Film Providing Wholesome Entertainment: RRR
- Nargis Dutt Award for Best Film on National Integration: The Kashmir Files
2. Magnus Carlsen wins the Chess World Cup Final 2023
- The Norwegian chess grandmaster, Magnus Carlsen, won the Chess World Cup Final 2023 title for the first time, after defeating India's chess grandmaster R Praggnanandhaa in a tie-breaker.
- R Praggnanandhaa (18) was the youngest World Cup finalist ever and the youngest World Cup winner.
- He managed to secure the Silver medal after defeating Hikarua Nakamura and Fabiano Caruana.
- He also became the second Indian after Viswanathan Anand to enter the Chess World Cup final.
Summits & Conferences
3. B20 Summit India 2023 begins in New Delhi
- The B20 Summit India 2023 has been started in New Delhi on August 25th, 2023.
- The three-day Summit will be attended by Union Ministers Nirmala Sitharaman, Dr. S Jaishankar, G20 India Sherpa Amitabh Kant, Trade Ministers of various countries, and several business leaders.
- PM Narendra Modi will attend the special session on the 27th of August as Chief Guest.
- Theme of B20 India: R.A.I.S.E: Responsible, Accelerated, Innovative, Sustainable, Equitable Businesses
4. Rajeshwari Kumari secures Paris 2024 Olympic quota for India
- India's shooting player, Rajeshwari Kumari has secured a shooting spot for India in the Paris 2024 Olympics.
- She finished fifth in the women's trap final at the ISSF World Championship 2023 in Baku, Azerbaijan.
- The ISSF World Championship 2023 serves as a qualifying event for the Paris Olympics 2024.
- The best four finishers (one from each country) in each of the 12 Olympic individual shooting events receive a seat on their national teams, giving a total of 48 shooters
National & International Organizations
5. IIT BOMBAY receives donation of 18.6 million for Green Energy Hub
- The Indian Institute of Technology Bombay has received a donation of $18.6 million from an alumnus for the Green Energy and Sustainability Research Hub.
- It will help the Institution in addressing the global climate crisis.
- The hub will be set up within a state-of-the-art academic building on the IIT Bombay campus.
- The Hub will also serve as a nexus for learning and exploration, offering state-of-the-art infrastructure and facilities for students and researchers.
Banking & Finance
6. HDFC Bank launches India’s First Co-Branded Hotel Credit Card with Marriott
- HDFC Bank has partnered with Marriott Bonvoy to unveil the ‘Marriott Bonvoy HDFC Bank Credit Card‘.
- This pioneering co-branded hotel credit card, the first of its kind in India, operates on Diners Club platform, a part of the Discover Global Network, and aspires to set new standards for rewarding travel cards in the country.
- This card brings together the strengths of these two prominent brands, presenting consumers with an unparalleled selection of travel benefits.
7. NHPC, APGENCO partner for Pumped Storage Hydropower Projects
- NHPC Limited has signed an MoU with APGENCO for the implementation of Pumped Hydro Storage Projects and Renewable Energy Projects in Andhra Pradesh.
- The MoU envisages the implementation of two identified Pumped Hydro Storage Projects with a total capacity of 1,950 MW.
- The projects will be implemented under Joint Venture mode.
- The MoU seeks to harness Pump Storage Projects as Energy Storage Solutions to achieve the national objective of clean and green energy.
8. Wrestling icon and WWE Hall of Famer, Terry Funk, passes away
- Wrestling icon and WWE Hall of Famer, Terry Funk has passed away at 79.
- He had an intriguing and remarkable career over five decades (1965 to 2017).
- He was known for his hardcore style, his charisma, and his passion for the business.
- He was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame in 2009 by his longtime friend and rival, Dusty Rhodes.
- In 2021, he also received recognition from the International Professional Wrestling Hall of Fame.
9. IWAI signs MoU with NRL for export of Petroleum Cargo via NW 2 & IBPR
- An MoU was signed between the Inland Waterways Authority of India and Numaligarh Refinery Limited to use the National Waterways-2 (Brahmaputra) and Indo-Bangladesh Protocol Route.
- Reason: For export of petroleum products to Bangladesh and other southeast Asian countries in Guwahati
- Aim: To fulfill the ‘Hydrocarbon Vision 2030 for Northeast’ by enabling inland waterways transportation via NW2 and IBPR, unveiling a new chapter of EXIM trade for the Northeast region
Books & Authors
10. A book titled “The Life, Vision and Songs of Kabir” by Vipul Rikhi
- The book titled 'Drunk on Love: The Life, Vision and Songs of Kabir', was authored by writer-singer Vipul Rikhi.
- Published by: HarperCollins India
- It presents the 15th-century poet, as he is described, quoted, and loved in popular imagination.
- A new book captures the life of mystic poet Kabir through popular legends, his vision, and his poetry which has been quoted and translated extensively.
- It brings into one place stories from Kabir’s life, his most famous songs.
11. Government sets up high power committee to review DRDO
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh has set up a nine-member committee of experts to overhaul the Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO).
- The committee headed by Prof K VijayRaghavan to review and redefine the role of the department and submit a report within three months.
- Prof Vijay Raghavan is a former Principal Scientific Advisor to the Government of India and one of the key architects of the National Research Foundation (NRF).
Banking & Finance
12. Central Vigilance Commission reconstitutes advisory board on bank frauds
- The Central Vigilance Commission (CVC) has reconstituted the Advisory Board on Banking and Financial Frauds (ABBFF) which conducts the first-level examination of bank frauds before recommendations or references are made to investigative by agencies such as CBI.
- The reconstituted APBFF will be chaired by former CVC Suresh N Patel.
- There are four Members and the tenure of the Chairman/ Members would be for two years.
13. India announces definition of Green Hydrogen
- The standard issued by the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy, outlined the emission thresholds that must be met in order for hydrogen produced to be classified as ‘Green’, i.e., from renewable sources.
- The scope of the definition encompasses both electrolysis-based and biomass-based hydrogen production methods.
- The Ministry of New & Renewable Energy has decided to define Green Hydrogen as having a well-to-gate emission of not more than 2 kg CO2 equivalent/kg H2.