National & International Appointments
1. FSIB shortlisted Siddhartha Mohanty as new Chairman of LIC
- The Financial Services Institutions Bureau (FSIB) has selected Siddhartha Mohanty as the new chairman of the Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC).
- As per the guidelines, the chairman is selected from the four managing directors of the company.
- At present, he is an MD of LIC and was earlier given interim charge as chairman for a period of three months, effective from March 14, 2023.
- The final decision will be taken by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet.
2. India, UK hold joint maritime exercise 'Konkan' in Arabian Sea
- A joint maritime exercise, Konkan 2023 was conducted between the Royal Navy of Britain and the Indian Navy from 20-22 March has concluded in the Arabian Sea.
- It is a joint drill by the two navies to demonstrate operational readiness, enhancing interoperability and improving the ability to conduct joint operations.
- INS Trishul, a guided missile frigate, and HMS Lancaster participated.
- It covered all domains of maritime operations, air, surface, and subsurface.
3. UIDAI, SETS join hands to conduct R&D in deep-tech
- The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) and the Society for Electronic Transactions and Security (SETS) collaborated to do joint R&D leading for the development of tools and products in deep tech domains.
- Both organizations will also conduct joint research on emerging tech areas like Cyber Security, IoT Security, etc.
- Aim: To improve self-reliance on information and cyber security and to reduce dependence on tools developed outside the country.
4. India wins both men's and women's Asian Kho Kho Championship title 2023
- The host India clinched both men's and women's titles of the Asian Kho Kho Championship 2023 held at Tamulpur in Assam.
- In the women's category, Indian Eves defeated Nepal by an inning and 33 points.
- On the other hand, the men's team also defeated Nepal by an inning and six points.
- India remained unbeaten in both categories throughout the tournament.
- A total of nine countries participated in the event.
National & International Organizations
5. 26 % of world's population does not have safe drinking water
- According to UN World Water Development Report 2023, about 26% of the world's population does not have safe drinking water and 46% lack access to safely managed sanitation.
- Between 2-3 billion, people experience water shortages for at least 1 month per year.
- This poses severe risks to livelihoods and access to electricity.
- The global urban population facing water scarcity is projected to double from 930 million (2016) to 1.7 -2.4 billion (2050).
6. India wins one silver and one bronze in ISSF World Cup championship 2023
- India's world champions, Rudraksh Patil and R. Narmada Nitin secured the bronze in the 10m air rifle mixed team event at the ISSF 2023, held in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh.
- While Varun Tomar and Rhythm Sangwan won silver in the 10m Air Pistol Mixed Team Competition.
- With these medals, India's medal tally to three including one gold, one silver, and one bronze.
- China topped the medal tally with three gold and two bronze medals.
7. Defence Ministry, BEL sign MoU to enhance operational capabilities of IAF
- The Defence Ministry signed two separate contracts with Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) at a total cost of over Rs 3,700 crore.
- Reason: To enhance the operational capabilities of the Indian Air Force (IAF)
- First contract: Worth over Rs 2,800 crore, pertains to the supply of Medium Power Radars (MPR) ‘Arudhra’ for the IAF.
- Second contract: Worth over Rs 950 crore, relates to 129 DR-118 Radar Warning Receivers (RWR)
- Both projects are under Buy Indian- IDMM category.
8. Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar launches DigiClaim
- Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar launched a DigiClaim, under the ambit of Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana for claim disbursal through National Crop Insurance Portal.
- With the DigiClaim Module, insurance claims of over 1,260 crore rupees have been disbursed to insured farmers of six states on March 23, 2023.
- The states are Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh, Himachal Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Uttarakhand, and Haryana.
Banking & Finance
9. Egypt officially becomes member of BRICS New Development Bank
- Egypt joined the BRICS New Development Bank (NDB) as an official member.
- Egypt completed all the necessary procedures to become an eligible member on February 20, 2023.
- About NDB:
- BRICS' New Development bank was established in July 2014, after an intergovernmental agreement was signed by the partner nations at the sixth BRICS summit in Fortaleza.
- NDB bank includes India, Brazil, Russia, China, and South Africa as member countries.
Summits & Conferences
10. PM Modi addressed the One World TB Summit held in Varanasi
- PM Modi addressed the One World TB Summit 2023 at Rudrakash Convention Centre, Varanasi on the occasion of World Tuberculosis Day (March 24).
- Organized by: Health and Family Welfare Ministry and Stop TB Partnership
- In March 2018, the PM called on India to achieve TB-related SDG targets by 2025.
- The PM also awarded select States/UTs and districts for their progress toward ending TB.
- State level: Karnataka and J&K
- District level: Nilgiris, Pulwama, and Anantnag
11. World Tuberculosis Day 2023: 24 March
- World Tuberculosis Day is observed every year on March 24 to educate the world about the impact of tuberculosis, globally.
- The theme for 2023 World Tuberculosis Day is "Yes! We can end TB!".
- On March 24, 1882, Dr. Robert Koch announced the discovery of Mycobacterium tuberculosis, the bacterium that causes tuberculosis.
- The elimination of Tuberculosis is one of the sustainable development targets to be achieved by 2030 by the world.
12. Veteran journalist and Padma Shri awardee Abhay Chhajlani passes away
- Veteran journalist and former editor-in-chief of popular Hindi daily Naidunia Abhay Chhajlani passed away at 88 due to health-related issues.
- He entered the field of journalism in 1955 and graduated from the Thomson Foundation, Cardiff (UK).
- He was awarded the Padma Shri in 2009 for his outstanding contribution to journalism.
- He also served as the president of the Indian Language Newspaper Association (ILNA) and Indian Newspaper Society (INS).
13. Ashneer Grover launched cricket fantasy sports app ‘CrickPe’
- BharatPe co-founder Ashneer Grover launched a cricket-focused fantasy sports app called CrickPe.
- The launch comes ahead of the marquee Indian Premier League (IPL) tournament that is set to begin on March 31, 2023.
- This sports app can be available on the Google Play store and Apple store.
- He has raised about $4 million in seed funding for his venture Third Unicorn Pvt Ltd.
- Notably, the cricket app has been launched to take on rivals like Dream11, MPL, and My11Circle.
Commentswrite a comment