1. India bagged gold and silver at World Para Powerlifting Championships 2023
- Honey Dabas and Rahul Jograjiya clinched first-ever gold and silver respectively in the junior men’s 72kg category at the World Para Powerlifting Championships 2023 in Dubai.
- Dabas lifted a best total of 135kg while Jograjiya had his best total lift of 132kg.
- Dabas has two gold medals from the Dubai 2022 Fazza World Cup.
- India’s only medal at a World Championships has been claimed by Parmjeet Kumar (men’s -49kg) at the Tbilisi 2021 World Championships.
2. ICG signs MoU with Philippine Coast Guard to enhance maritime cooperation
- Indian Coast Guard has signed a MoU with the Philippine Coast Guard to enhance maritime cooperation in New Delhi
- Aim: To enhance bilateral maritime cooperation between the two nations for ensuring safe, secure, and clean seas in the region.
- Objective: To enhance the professional linkage between the two Coast Guards in the domain of Maritime Law Enforcement, Maritime Search and Rescue, and Marine Pollution Response.
Science & Technology
3. The US 's FDA approved first respiratory syncytial virus vaccine
- The United States of America’s Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved the first respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) vaccine for use in women during pregnancy to protect the baby.
- Aim: To prevent lower respiratory tract infection and severe disease in infants until they are six months old.
- This vaccine has been developed by Pfizer and the approval allows the vaccine to be given to women 32 to 36 weeks of pregnancy
4. 4th G20 Culture Working Group (CWG) Meeting to begin in Varanasi
- The 4th G20 Culture Working Group (CWG) Meeting will begin in Varanasi in August 2023
- Aim: To arrive at actionable outcomes while positioning culture at the heart of policy-making.
- G20 Culture: Shaping the Global Narrative for Inclusive Growth”. will be launched in Varanasi as a part of the Culture Ministers’ Meeting.
- The CWG will also release a special stamp to commemorate the Culture Unites All’ campaign to highlight India’s unwavering belief in multilateralism.
5. International Day for the Remembrance of the Slave Trade and its Abolition
- International Day for the Remembrance of the Slave Trade and its Abolition is observed annually on August 23.
- Aim: To raises awareness about the horrifying nature of the slave trade and remind people about the transatlantic slave trade and its implications.
- Theme of international Day for the Remembrance of the Slave Trade and its Abolition 2023 is “Fighting slavery's legacy of racism through transformative education”
Banking & Finance
6. LIC acquires 6.7% stake in Jio Financial Services via RIL demerger action
- The Life Insurance Corporation of India has acquired a 6.66 per cent stake in Jio Financial Services owing to the de-merger action by Reliance Industries.
- According to the LIC the cost of acquisition is equivalent to 4.68 per cent of the pre de-merged cost of Reliance Industries.
- The country’s largest insurer held a 6.49 per cent stake in RIL at the end of June 2023.
- JFS shares hit its lower circuit limits for the second straight session on August 21.
Science & Technology
7. China launches Gaofen Earth-observation satellite
- China sent a new Earth observation satellite Gaofen-12 04 into space from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center in China.
- The satellite, Gaofen-12 04, was launched by a Long March-4C carrier rocket and has entered the planned orbit successfully.
- It will be used in a variety of fields, including land surveys, urban planning, road network design, crop yield estimation and disaster relief.
- The launch marks the 484th flight mission of the Long March series carrier rockets.
8. Haryanvi singer Raju Punjabi passed away at the age of 40
- Popular Haryanvi singer Raju Punjabi passed away at the age of 40.
- A well-established name in the Haryanvi music industry, he had charted out several hit sons as “Desi desi na bolya kar”, “Solid Body”, “Sandal”, “Aacha lage Se”, “Tu Cheez Lajawab”, “Bhang Mere Yaara Ne”, and “Last Peg” among others.
- Born Raja Kumar at village of Rawtsar in Rajasthan’s Hunamangarh district.
9. Sachin to be National Icon for voter awarenes and Education for EC of India
- Bharat Ratna awardee Sachin Tendulkar would begin a new inning as the ‘National Icon’ for voter awareness and education for the election commission of India.
- MoU will be signed with Sachin for a period of three years in the presence of Chief Election Commissioner Rajiv Kumar in New Delhi.
- Aim: To bridge the gap between citizens, especially youth and urban populations, and the electoral process thereby, trying to address the challenges of urban and youth apathy.
10. Khelo India Women’s League officially be known as Asmita Women's League
- Union Minister for Youth Affairs and Sports Anurag Singh has announced that the Khelo India Women’s League will officially be known as Asmita Women's League.
- ASMITA refers to Achieving Sports Milestone by Inspiring Women Through Action.
- The Asmita Portal serves as a comprehensive resource, offering valuable insights into upcoming leagues among other features.
- It will enable any school, college, government, or private organization to host the 'Asmita Women's League.
National & International Appointments
11. Srettha Thavisin elected as Prime Minister of Thailand
- The Pheu Thai Party’s Srettha Thavisin become Thailand’s prime minister after clinching parliamentary support
- He co-founded Sansiri in 1988, which later became one of Thailand's largest real estate developers, leading Srettha to become a property tycoon.
- He was the former chief executive and president of Sansiri.
- Srettha will lead an alliance of 11 parties that includes two pro-military parties affiliated with outgoing Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha
12. Jitendra Singh unveils new lotus variety ‘Namoh 108’
- Minister of Science Jitendra Singh, launched "NBRI Namoh 108", a unique variety of Lotus (Nelumbo nucifera) with 108 petals, in Lucknow.
- It was developed by the Council of Scientific & Industrial Research- National Botanical Research Institute (CSIR-NBRI), Lucknow
- He also introduced apparel made from lotus fibre and perfume 'Frotus'.
- The perfume is extracted from lotus flowers and was developed by NBRI, and the Fragrance & Flavour Development Centre