1. Antim Panghal won bronze medal in wrestling at World Championships 2023
- Indian wrestler Antim Panghal secured a bronze medal in the women's 53 kg category at the wrestling World Championships 2023 iin Serbia.
- She also secured the Paris Olympics 2024 quota for India.
- This is India's first medal in this edition of the tournament.
- Antim has captured India's 23rd medal in the World Championships to date, which includes one gold, five silver, and 17 bronze medals.
- Japan's Akari Fujinami won the gold in World Championships 2023
2. Assam govt to launch scheme to give Rs 2 lakh each to two lakh youth
- Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma has unveiled a transformative scheme called 'Mukhya Mantri Atmanirbhar Asom aimed at bolstering the self-reliance of the state's youth.
- Objective: To foster self-sufficiency and entrepreneurship among the youth of Assam.
- Under this initiative, a generous financial aid of Rs. 2 lakh will be provided to each eligible young person, empowering them to pursue self-employment opportunities and chart their own path to success.
Banking & Finance
3. BCCI announces SBI Life as Official Partner for BCCI Domestic Season
- The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) announced SBI Life as one of the official partners for the BCCI Domestic and International Season 2023-2026.
- SBI Life has signed a 3-year deal with the BCCI and their partnership will begin with the upcoming three-match ODI series against Australia, starting September 22.
- This collaboration reflects our commitment to promoting and supporting the sport of cricket at all levels.
Banking & Finance
4. RBI proposes lenders identify 'wilful defaulters' within six months
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) aanounced lenders would have to examine all aspects relating to wilful default on accounts with outstanding dues of Rs 25 lakh or more.
- Identify wilful defaulters within six months of a loan becoming a non-performing asset (NPA).
- It has allowed non-banking finance companies and cooperative banks to identify them.
- A large defaulter is one whose amount in default is Rs 1 crore and above.
National & International Organizations
5. ISO and UNDP announce partnership to enhance sustainability action
- The International Organization for Standardization (ISO) and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) have signed a landmark Statement of Intent, in addressing global development challenges.
- Aim: To collaborate on initiatives geared towards enhancing international standards that advance sustainability actions by both the public and private sectors
- Objective: To provide a common basis for documentation and certification, making it easier for organizations.
Banking & Finance
6. TCS and BankAxept AS partner to enhance Norway’s payment system
- Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) has entered into a partnership with BankID BankAxept AS, the provider of Norway’s national payment and electronic identity systems.
- Aim: To establish and manage an operations command center.
- BankAxept, the dominant national payment system in Norway, facilitates 80 per cent of card payments in the country.
- BankID serves as Norway’s primary eID verification solution, relied upon by over 90 per cent of the population.
Banking & Finance
7. UP gov launches instant birth certificate for newborns at health facilities
- Newborns at government health facilities of Uttar Pradesh will now be issued birth registration certificates immediately after delivery without the parents having to apply for same
- Gov has integrated its Maa Navjaat Tracking app (MaNTrA) with the birth registration system as part of its efforts to provide 'ease of living' to the citizens using digital technology
- UP has become the first state to implement suo motu birth registration for government health institutions
Banking & Finance
8. ADB lowers FY24 GDP forecast to 6.3%, India Ratings raises it to 6.2%
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) revised India's growth forecast for FY24 to 6.3 per cent, a change of 10 basis points, attributing it to erratic monsoon patterns that are likely to affect agricultural output.
- India Ratings and Research has increased its FY24 growth estimate for India to 6.2 per cent, up by 30 basis points.
- Citing factors such as sustained government capital expenditure (capex), deleveraged corporate and banking balance sheets.
9. Union Minister Kailash Choudhary launches PM KISAN AI-Chatbot
- Union Minister of State for Agriculture and Farmers Welfare Kailash Choudhary launches PM KISAN AI-Chatbot (Kisan e-Mitra) in New Delhi.
- Aim: Tol help in accessing scheme information and resolving grievances.
- This is the first AI Chatbot integrated with a major flagship scheme of the Union government.
- The AI Chatbot acts as a comprehensive guide for the beneficiaries, providing them with timely and accurate responses to their queries related to the scheme.
10. Rajasthan tops the list in solar water pump installations
- Rajasthan tops the list in solar water pump installations in 2023.
- More than 62,000 farmers have directly benefited from the scheme introduced by the Ashok Gehlot government four-and-a-half years ago.
- According to the gov, farmers in Rajasthan are encouraged to install solar pumps for irrigation, instead of relying on electricity connections and diesel-powered plants.
- The state government is encouraging farmers by offering 60 percent subsidy for installing solar pumps
11. International Week of the Deaf (IWDeaf) from 18th to 24th September 2023
- The Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD) is celebrating International Week of the Deaf (IWDeaf) from 18th to 24th September 2023.
- Aim: To be aware of the Declaration of the Rights of the Deaf Child, Building Capacity across the globe
- Theme 2023: A World where Deaf People Everywhere Can Sign Anywhere.
- Motto: “Nothing without us”
- Agenda: To achieve sign language rights for all and focus on building inclusive deaf communities.
12. Welfare of Cancer Patients Day is celebrated on September 22
- The Welfare of Cancer Patients Day, also known as World Rose Day, is observed annually on September 22.
- The day is dedicated to individuals who are suffering from cancer across the globe.
- Aim: To support the brave hearts who are going through mental and physical struggles every moment against the deadly disease.
- The day commemorates the 12-year-old Canadian cancer patient Melinda Rose, who suffered from cancer and died in 1996.
13. World Rhino Day 2023 is celebrated on September 22
- World Rhino Day is celebrated on September 22.
- Aim: To provide the opportunity for cause-related organizations, NGOs, zoos, and members of the public to celebrate rhinos in their own unique ways.
- The activities vary from one participant to the next.
- Donors and partners are able to contribute to the organizations and initiatives of their choosing.
- Peaceful demonstrations, classroom projects, fundraising dinners, auctions and poster displays are just a few examples.