Honours & Awards
1. Ratan Tata conferred Maharashtra's first Udyog Ratna award
- Veteran industrialist Ratan Tata conferred the first-ever 'Udyog Ratna' award instituted by the Maharashtra Chief Minister Eknath Shinde.
- The honour comprised a shawl, a citation and a memento from the Maharashtra Industrial Development Corporation (MIDC).
- The aim of the Maharashtra Udyog Ratna Awards is to honour those people and groups who have significantly impacted Maharashtra's business, industry, education, financial services, fashion, and other sectors.
2. Novak Djokovic secured the titles Cincinnati Open 2023
- Novak Djokovic of Serbia secured the titles Cincinnati Open 2023 after defeating Carlos Alcaraz of Spain.
- The win delivered Djokovic his 95th career title and 39th Masters 1000 crown.
- The Spaniard is currently ranked at number one in the ATP Tour rankings, with Djokovic ranked just behind him at number two.
- Djokovic is the only player in tennis history to be the reigning champion of all four majors at once across all three different surfaces
3. IREDA signs MoU with Government, Revenue Target for 2023-24 set at ₹ 4,350
- Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency (IREDA) has signed a performance-based MoU with the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy, Government of India
- The Ministry of Finance outlines strategic targets that IREDA aims to achieve during the fiscal years 2023-24 and 2024-25.
- IREDA is a Mini Ratna (Category - I), Government of India, enterprise
- The Gov of India has set a Revenue from Operation target of Rs 4,350 crores for the FY 2023-24 and Rs 5,220 crores for 2024-25
4. NHPC signs MoU with RITES for Dibang Multipurpose Project Arunachal Pradesh
- State-owned hydro power giant NHPC signed MoU with Rail India Technical and Economic Service to construct railway siding for a 2,880 MW Dibang multipurpose project
- NHPC's total installed capacity is 7,097.2 MW of renewable power (including wind and solar) through its 25 power stations, including 1,520 MW through its subsidiary.
- RITES will provide comprehensive and efficient solutions for developing rail infrastructure facilities for NHPC Dibang
5. Jitendra Singh launches the CSIR Prima ET11, the first indigenous e-Tractor
- The Union Minister of State Science & Technology Jitendra Singh launched the CSIR Prima ET11, the first indigenous e-Tractor developed by the Central Mechanical Engineering Research Institute (CMERI), Durgapur.
- Jitendra Singh focused on the role of Agri StartUps in India’s economy and called for the adoption of new and AI-driven technologies in Agriculture.
- An increasing number of new Startups are venturing into the Agriculture sector, focussing on niche technology.
6. First Foreign Office Consultations between India and Samoa held in Apia
- The 1st Foreign Office Consultations FOC between India and Samoa was held in Apia in August 2023
- Aim: To discuss their wide-ranging bilateral relations including their development partnership covering areas such as health, Information and Communications Technology ICT, Education, and Small and Medium Sized Enterprises SME
- They also discussed follow-up on Forum for India-Pacific Islands Cooperation FIPIC III Summit, as well as regional and global issues
7. Shivraj Singh Chouhan inaugurated Mukhyamantri Seekho-Kamao yojna scheme
- CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan inaugurated the scheme Mukhyamantri Seekho-Kamao yojna means 'Chief Minister's Learn-Earn' scheme in Madhya Pradesh
- The scheme has facilitated on-the-job training on the lines of 'learn and earn along with skill development, and has been started for the youth in the age group of 18 to 29 yrs
- Under the scheme, the selected youth will be given training according to the requirements of the industries and also get an 8 to 10 thousand rupees stipend
8. Saudi Arabia Launches AI-Powered Program to Combat Desertification
- The Saudi Environment Ministry has launched a program to combat desertification using artificial intelligence (AI).
- Aim: To study the status of vegetative cover in the Kingdom and contribute to the goals of afforestation projects and the "Green Saudi" initiative.
- It will use AI to analyze satellite imagery to identify areas that are most vulnerable to desertification.
- Remote sensing technologies will be used to monitor vegetation cover, and track its changes over time.
9. Adobe co-founder John Warnock passes away at 82
- Former John Warnock, who helped invent the PDF and co-founded Adobe Systems passed away at the age of 82.
- He worked for Xerox before he and colleague Charles Geschke created a company around a rejected idea in 1982.
- Later, he outlined an early version of the Portable Document Format, or PDF, transforming the way documents are exchanged.
- In 1964, he solved the Jacobson radical, an abstract algebra problem that had been a mystery since it was posed eight years before.
Banking & Finance
10. Canara Bank launches UPI Interoperable Digital Rupee mobile application
- Canara Bank launched the UPI Interoperable Digital Rupee mobile application and become the first bank in both the public and commercial sectors to offer this feature via its CBDC mobile app called the Canara Digital Rupee
- Aim: To empower merchants to accept digital currency payments using their existing UPI QR codes in addition to UPI-based payments without the requirement of a separate onboarding process for CBDC.
- CEO of Canara Bank is K. Satyanarayana Raju
11. Guwahati airport becomes first in northeast to get ‘Digi Yatra’ facility
- Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi International (LGBI) Airport in Guwahati, become the first in the northeast to launch Digi Yatra for hassle-free travel.
- Aim: To eliminate the need for verification of tickets and IDs at various touchpoints.
- The Digi Yatra service will be available in three major areas namely - first entrance, check-in and boarding areas.
- Passengers will be able to register their documents on the ‘Digi Yatra’ app and enter the airport by scanning their faces.
National & International Appointments
12. Viacom18 appointed Kiran Mani as CEO of digital business
- Viacom18 has appointed Google's Kiran Mani as CEO overseeing digital business operations in August 2023.
- Currentl he holds the position of General Manager and MD for Android and Google Play in the Asia Pacific region at Google.
- He has been associated with the company for over 13 years now.
- Mani, in his role as the head of the digital business, will have the responsibility of leading the expansion of JioCinema, according to the sources.
Science & Technology
13. Tirupati boy bags silver at Singapore Math Olympiad
- Raja Anirudh Sriram, a fourth-standard student of Tirupati, has bagged a silver medal at the Singapore International Math Olympiad Challenge 2023 (SIMOC).
- His journey of success has been marked by numerous national and international awards that highlight his extraordinary capabilities.
- More than 2000 students from 32 countries participated in the prestigious event, where Raja Anirudh came up with flying colours.