1. Mohammed Siraj back at No.1 in ICC Men’s ODI bowling rankings
- Indian pacer Mohammed Siraj re-grabbed the number one position among bowlers in the ICC Men’s ODI player rankings 2023.
- His latest match-winning performance against Sri Lanka in the Asia Cup final provided eight spot leaps to take him to the top.
- Kuldeep Yadav is another Indian bowler who made it into the top ten.
- Jasprit Bumrah, who has come back after a long injury break, climbed up two places to the 27th position.
- Hardik Pandya rose eight spots to the 50th rank.
Summits & Conferences
2. Fourth G20 Infrastructure Working Group meeting starts in Madhya Pradesh
- The fourth G20 Infrastructure Working Group meeting under the Indian Presidency started in Madhya Pradesh.
- It would be the last meeting of the Infrastructure Working Group.
- Aim: To deliberate on various aspects of infrastructure investments, including developing infrastructure as an asset class, promoting quality urban infrastructurer and Infratech.
- It is hosted and chaired by the Ministry of Finance along with Australia and Brazil as co-chairs.
3. President inaugurated first Uttar Pradesh international Trade Show
- President Droupadi Murmu inaugurated the first Uttar Pradesh International Trade Show in India Expo Centre and Mart in Greater Noida.
- The trade show will be held from September 21 to 25.
- Aim: To get international exposure and market opportunities.
- Over 2000 exhibitors will showcase their products across a wide spectrum of sectors, including automobiles, handicrafts, healthcare, food processing, pharmaceuticals, dairy, electronics, and e-commerce.
Banking & Finance
4. SBI introduces digital opening of NRE/NRO account setup through YONO
- State Bank of India has introduced a digital facility for Non-Resident Indians to effortlessly open Non-Residential External and Non-Resident Ordinary accounts through its mobile app YONO.
- Aim: To fulfils a long-standing demand from NRI customers for a hassle-free way to open and manage their accounts in India.
- This service is designed for NTB or 'new to bank' customers, providing them with ease and efficiency in the account opening process.
5. India-US Army to host Indo-Pacific Armies Chiefs Conference
- The Indian Army and the United States Army will co-host the 13th Indo-Pacific Armies Chiefs Conference
- It is a 3 day conference of Chiefs of Armies and delegates of 35 countries in New Delhi from 25th to 27th September 2023.
- Theme of 2023 is “Together for Peace: Sustaining Peace and Stability in the Indo-Pacific Region.”
- Aim: To promote peace and stability in the Indo-Pacific region through mutual understanding, and friendship amongst the littoral partners.
6. Indian Naval Ship 'Nireekshak' successfully conducts vital Mixed Gas Diving
- Indian Naval Ship 'Nireekshak' successfully conducted vital Mixed Gas Diving training sessions as part of IN-SLN Divex 23.
- It marks the ship's continued engagement with the Sri Lanka Navy, aligning with India's 'Neighborhood First' policy for capacity building in neighboring nations.
- It is well-equipped with two six-man recompression chambers and a three-man diving bell.
- It possesses the capability to execute submarine rescue operations and train saturation divers.
7. International Day of Peace is celebrated on 21st September
- The International Day of Peace or World Peace Day is celebrated on 21st September.
- Aim: To promote peace while ceasing violence and conflicts worldwide where each year,
- Theme 2023: Actions for Peace: Our Ambition for the #GlobalGoals.
- The International Day of Peace is often associated with a dove and the olive branch symbols where the dove represents peace and freedom, while the olive branch has been a traditional symbol of peace dating back to ancient times.
8. World Alzheimer's Day is celebrated on 21st September
- World Alzheimer's Day takes place every September 21.
- Aim: To raise awareness and challenge the stigma around Alzheimer's disease and other dementia.
- Theme 2023: 'Never Too Early, Never Too Late.'
- Alzheimer's is a severe brain disorder of memory loss and confusion, if not diagnosed and managed on time, can adversely impact one's mental abilities of learning, thinking, and reasoning, which could compromise one's day-to-day life activities and control over emotions.
9. ICC releases official Anthem ‘Dil Jashn Bole’ for Men's Cricket World Cup
- The International Cricket Council released the official Anthem for the Men's Cricket World Cup 2023 beginning on the 5th of October.
- The theme of the anthem is Dil Jashn Bole and it features Bollywood superstar Ranveer Singh and other popular social media influencers.
- The Cricket World Cup 2023 is being held in India after 12 years.
- The music for the anthem has been prepared by Pritam, and the singers are Pritam, Nakash Aziz, Sreerama Chandra and Amit Mishra
10. Nuakhai Juhar day is mainly observed by the people of Odisha
- Nuakhai Juhar is an agricultural harvest festival mainly observed by the people of Western Odisha.
- It is celebrated on the fifth day of the lunar fortnight of the month of Bhadrapada (August-September), the day after the Ganesh Chaturthi festival.
- This year, it is being celebrated on September 20.
- Nuakhai is a time of great joy and celebration for the people of Odisha.
- It is a time to give thanks for the new harvest and to celebrate their culture and heritage.
11. India won bid to host 17th International Congress on Chemistry of Cement
- India will host the International Congress on the Chemistry of Cement (ICCC) in the year 2027 in New Delhi.
- The Commerce and Industry Ministry announced that India won the bid to hold this event on a presentation from the National Council for Cement and Building Materials along with IIT Delhi.
- India defeated Switzerland and the United Arab Emirates to win the bid.
- The ICCC is regarded as the largest and the most prestigious event in the area of Cement and Concrete.
12. INDIAN NAVAL SHIPS REACH SINGAPORE TO PARTICIPATE IN SIMBEX 23
- Indian Naval Ships Ranvijay and Kavaratti and submarine INS Sindhukesari arrived in Singapore to participate in the 30th edition of the Singapore India Maritime Bilateral Exercise (SIMBEX).
- SIMBEX holds the distinction of being the longest continuous naval exercise that the Indian Navy has with any other country.
- SIMBEX-2023 is being conducted in two phases - a Harbour Phase at Singapore from 21 to 24 September 2023, followed by a Sea Phase.
Honours & Awards
13. Science awards to get makeover as Rashtriya Vigyan Puraskar
- On the lines of civilian awards, Government of India will now recognise scientists with Rashtriya Vigyan Puruskar
- It has 4 categories, Vigyan Ratna, Vigyan Shri, Vigyan Yuva–Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar, and Vigyan Team.
- Vigyan Ratna will recognise the lifetime achievement of scientists, Vigyan Shri will recognise distinguished contributions to a field, Vigyan Yuva Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar will encourage young scientists who have made exceptional contributions.