Honours & Awards
1. Khalid Jawed’s 'The Paradise of Food' wins 2022 JCB Prize for Literature
- The book titled "The Paradise of Food" authored by Khalid Jawed, has been awarded the JCB Prize for Literature 2022.
- It was translated into English from Urdu by Baran Farooqi and published by Juggernaut.
- The literary work is the fourth translation and the first Urdu work to win the JCB Prize.
- Award: Rs 25 lakh prize and the trophy (a sculpture titled ‘Mirror Melting’ by Delhi artist duo Thukral and Tagra).
- First winner: Benyamin (2018)
2. Novak Djokovic clinches men's single 2022 ATP Finals
- Novak Djokovic (Serbia) has secured the men's single ATP Finals (2022) title, after defeating Norway’s Casper Ruud.
- Djokovic has defeated his opponent by 7-5, 6-3 in summit clash.
- He has now equalled the record of Swiss legend Roger Federer, who has six ATP title wins.
- He has won ATP finals in 2008, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2022 (Turin, Italy).
- Doubles: Rajeev Ram (United States) and Joe Salisbury (United Kingdom)
Banking & Finance
3. Tata Power Solar Systems ties up with Union Bank of India
- Tata Power Solar Systems Limited (TPSSL) has tied up with Union Bank of India (UBI) to help MSME (Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises) sector switch to solar solutions.
- TPSSL is a wholly owned subsidiary of Tata Power Renewable Energy Limited (TPREL).
- Objective: To improve access to green energy and save on the cost of electricity, thus making MSMEs more profitable.
- The association will be implemented under UBI’s solar scheme called ‘Union Solar’.
4. Anamalai Tiger Reserve launches ‘jumbo trails’ in Coimbatore
- The Anamalai Tiger Reserve (ATR) has launched ‘jumbo trails', with the aim to educate visitors to the tiger reserve about elephants, the flora, and fauna of ATR and the aboriginal tribes
- The tourists will be taken from Sethumadai to Kozhikamuthi elephant camp
- The programme is organised by the Advanced Wildlife Management Training Centre (Attakatti) and implemented by Keelpoonachi Eco Development Committee
- The income from the initiative will be used to help tribal people
5. NCPCR launches training module for Child Welfare Committees
- The National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) has launched a training module for Child Welfare Committees (CWC).
- Aim: To enhance knowledge and skills improvement of its members to deliver effective and timely service for protection and rehabilitation of children.
- The module is a 15-day programme for training CWCs.
- NCPCR has also launched the ‘GHAR –GO Home and Re-Unite’ portal for Restoration and Repatriation of Child.
Summits & Conferences
6. India to take over Chair of Global Partnership on Artificial Intelligence
- India has assumed the Chair of the Global Partnership on Artificial Intelligence (GPAI) from France on 21st November 2022.
- Rajeev Chandrasekhar (Minister of State for Electronics and Information Technology) has represented the country at the GPAI meeting in Tokyo for the symbolic takeover from France.
- GPAI is an international initiative to support responsible and human-centric development and the use of AI.
- India joined the GPAI in 2020 as a founding member.
7. Former Indian ambassador Abasara Beuria passes away
- Former Indian ambassador, Abasar Beuria has been passed away at the age of 80.
- He started his career as a lecturer and then as a bank officer before joining IFS.
- He served as the chairman of the Institute of Odia Studies & Research (IOSR).
- He was involved as a member of the Indian delegation in bilateral and multilateral international talks including the Non-Alignment Summit, Commonwealth Heads of Governments Conference, and G-77 Conventions.
8. Odisha CM announces Chief Minister’s award, scholarship
- Odisha CM, Naveen Patnaik has announced “Mukhyamantri Siksha Purashkar Yojna”, an award and scholarship programme.
- Aim: To encourage healthy competition between different state schools and to recognise excellence in education.
- The award will be given to 50,000 (students), 1,500 (Principals, school management committees, alumni, Gram Panchayats and district administrations).
- This programme will cost Rs 100 crore per year.
Books & Authors
9. A book ‘Nalanada – Until we meet again’ launched by Ruskin Bond
- A new book titled, ‘Nalanada – Until we meet again’ has been launched by legendary writer Ruskin Bond.
- The book was written by Gautaam Borah, who is also the author of the widely acclaimed book ‘Monetising Innovation’.
- The book is a gripping story of romance, vengeance, and an age-old mystery.
- Ruskin Bond books: The Room on the Roof (first novel); Our Trees Still Grow in Dehra; A Flight of Pigeons; The Blue Umbrella
10. Veteran actress, Tabassum Govil passes away
- Veteran actress Tabassum Govil, who was popularly known as Baby Tabassum has been passed away at the age of 78 due to a cardiac arrest.
- She started her career as a child artist in 1947 with Nargis.
- The actress later starred in films like Jogan, Deedar, Bahar, Bari Behen and more.
- Her last movie was Swarg, which released in 1990.
- She was best known for hosting Phool Khile Hain Gulshan Gulshan - India's first talk show.