National & International Appointments
1. Gustavo Petro elected as the first-leftist President of Colombia
- Leftist party, Gustavo Petro has won presidential election of Colombia and becomes the first ever leftist president in the history of country.
- He defeated construction magnate, Rodolfo Hernandez with a margin of more than 700,000 votes.
- Petro is a former mayor of capital Bogota and current senator.
- He was also a former member of the M-19 guerrilla movement.
- Francia Marquez has become the first Black woman Vice President of Colombia.
- Currency: Colombian peso
2. Indian Coast Guard inducts new Advanced Light Helicopter Squadron 840 CG
- The Eastern Region of Indian Coast Guard has inducted the indigenously designed and developed Advanced Light Helicopter (ALH) Mark III, the first aircraft of the newly created “840 Squadron”.
- The new squadron will be stationed at the headquarters of the Eastern Region of the Coast Guard, Chennai.
- ICG will add three more ALHs to the inventory of ‘840 Squadron’ soon.
- The aircraft is equipped to carry out target neutralisation.
3. 8th International Day of Yoga is being observed across the world on June 21
- The 8th edition of International Day of Yoga is being observed on 21st June.
- Aim: To raise awareness worldwide of the many benefits of practicing yoga.
- 2022 theme: ‘Yoga for Humanity’
- PM Modi will lead the mass Yoga demonstration at Mysuru in Karnataka.
- To mark the 'Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav', the Yoga Day is being celebrated in 75 iconic places across the country.
- The United Nations in 2014 has declared the 21st of June as the International Day of Yoga.
Honours & Awards
4. PM’s award for contribution for promotion of Yoga announced for 2021
- The PM's award for outstanding contribution for promotion of Yoga for the year 2021 has been announced.
- The award has been conferred to Bhikkhu Sanghasena (Ladakh); Marcus Vinicius Rojo Rodrigues (Brazil); The Divine Life Society from Uttarakhand; and British Wheel of Yoga from United Kingdom.
- The winners will be felicitated with a trophy, certificate and cash award of 25 lakh rupees.
- The award was announced by PM on the occasion of the 2nd IDY at Chandigarh in 2016.
5. Apollo Hospitals joins hands with Imperial Hospital of Bangladesh
- Apollo Hospitals has signed an agreement with Imperial Hospital Ltd to operate and manage the latter's 375 bedded multi-specialty tertiary care hospital in Chittagong, Bangladesh.
- The state-of-the-art facility in Chittagong was built with the support of World Bank and will be rebranded as Apollo Imperial Hospital.
- The hospital will have experienced clinicians, medical staff and administrative staff.
- Apollo will also manage daily operations, clinical service delivery.
6. MoHUA launches NIPUN Project for promotion of upskilling Nirman Workers
- Minister of Housing & Urban Affairs (MoHUA), Hardeep Singh Puri has launched an initiative for skill training of construction workers called ‘NIPUN’.
- NIPUN refers National Initiative for Promoting Upskilling of Nirman workers.
- MoHUA has launched this initiative under its flagship scheme of the Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana-National Urban Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NULM).
- Aim: To train over 1 lakh construction workers, through fresh skilling and upskilling programmes.
7. Australia provides financial support of USD 50 million to Sri Lanka
- Australia has announced to provide 50 million US dollars support to Sri Lanka for meet urgent food and health care needs.
- Presently, Sri Lanka is facing its worst economic crisis in 70 years, which leads to food shortage, medicine and fuel.
- Australia will provide 22 million dollars to the World Food Programme (WFP) for emergency food assistance to meet their daily nutritional needs and 23 million dollars in development assistance to Sri Lanka in 2022-23.
Books & Authors
8. Ram Bahadur Rai's book titled ‘Bhartiya Samvidhan: Ankahi Kahani’ released
- PM Narendra Modi has released the book titled, Bhartiya Samvidhan: Ankahi Kahani’, written by Ram Bahadur Rai.
- This book of Shri Rai will be in the tradition of New India’s effort to remember the forgotten thoughts to ensure that in the India of the future, consciousness of the past remains strong.
- The book with the history of independence and the untold chapters of our constitution will give a new thinking to the youth of the country.
9. Bishweswar Tudu inaugurates 20th Folk Fair and 13th Krishi Fair in Odisha
- Minister of State for Tribal Affairs and Jal Shakti, Bishweswar Tudu has inaugurated the 20th Folk Fair (National tribal/folk song & dance festival) and 13th Krishi Fair 2022 at Saradhabali in Puri, Odisha.
- Aim: At preserving tribal culture and promoting innovation in agriculture respectively
- The fair will be continued for five days and concluded on 24th June.
- The Minister has also extended all support of the Government for the upliftment of tribals in the state.
Summits & Conferences
10. Health Minister addresses inaugural session at the G20 Health Ministers
- Union Health & Family Welfare Minister, Dr Mansukh Mandaviya has virtually addressed the inaugural session at the G20 Health Ministers meeting at Yogyakarta, Indonesia.
- Indonesia has hosted two Health Working Group Meetings in Yogyakarta and Lombok.
- Priority issues: Harmonizing Global Health Protocol Standards and Building Global Health System Resilience.
- India has pledged to End TB by 2025 (five years ahead of the global SDG target of 2030).
National & International Organizations
11. TCS, HDFC, Infy and LIC placed in Kantar's global 100 most valuable firms
- TCS, HDFC Bank, Infosys and LIC have been featured in the top 100 global biggest brands, along with companies like Apple, Google, Amazon and Microsoft.
- TCS has been placed on the 46th spot of the list with an estimated of $50 billion by Kantar Brands 2022.
- HDFC Bank placed on 61st with $35 billion brand value.
- Infosys was ranked at 64th position and LIC placed on 92nd.
- Top 10: Apple, Google, Amazon, Microsoft, Tencent, McDonalds, Visa, Facebook, Alibaba, Louis Vuitton
Banking & Finance
12. ONDC joins hands with NABARD to activate e-commerce in agri tech
- Open Network for Digital Commerce has joined hands with National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) to activate e-commerce in the agriculture domain.
- ONDC and NABARD have come together to host the NABARD-ONDC Grand Challenge to establish market linkages for the enabled players with market ready Farmers Producers Organisations.
- Aim: To promote development of innovative solutions that are likely to aid adoption of e-commerce in the agriculture domain.
Banking & Finance
13. LIC India launches Dhan Sanchay life insurance plan
- The Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) has launched Dhan Sanchay, a non-linked, non-participating, individual savings life insurance plan .
- This plan offers financial assistance to the family in the event of the life assured's untimely death within the policy's term.
- It also offers a guaranteed income stream from the date of maturity until the end of the payout period.
- LIC Chairperson: M R Kumar
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- Founded: 1 September 1956