1. President Ram Nath Kovind reviews Naval Fleet at Visakhapatnam
- President Ram Nath Kovind reviews the Indian Naval Fleet comprising over 60 ships and submarines, and 55 aircraft.
- The 12th edition of President’s Fleet Review is being conducted at Visakhapatnam as part of Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav.
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh was also present at the event.
- This is the second time that Visakhapatnam has been hosting the PFR, the first being in the year 2006 by the then President of India A P J Abdul Kalam.
2. Om Birla leads Parliamentary delegation to UAE from Feb 21 to 25
- Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla is leading a Parliamentary delegation to the UAE from today to 25th February.
- This is the first-ever visit under the bilateral exchange of Parliamentary Delegations from either side.
- The Lok Sabha Speaker will have the rare honour of addressing the Federal National Council of UAE on the 22nd of this month.
- The Delegation will also visit places of cultural and historical importance in Abu Dhabi and Dubai.
3. International Mother Language Day: 21st February
- The International Mother Language Day (IMLD) is observed annually on the 21st of February to raise awareness regarding linguistic and cultural diversity and to promote multilingualism.
- The IMLD day was announced by UNESCO on 17 November 1999 and formally recognized by the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) in 2002.
- 2022 theme: “Using technology for multilingual learning: Challenges and opportunities”.
4. Padma Shri Awardee Shakuntala Choudhury passes away
- Gandhian leader Padma Shree awardee Shakuntala Chaudhary (102-years) passed away in Guwahati.
- She worked towards the welfare and empowerment of women.
- Shakuntala Chaudhary spent a large portion of her life at the Kasturba Ashram, since 1947.
- She was a recipient of Vayoshestha Samman - National Awards For Senior Citizens 2021, from the government of India.
5. First Direct Flight Between Delhi-Khajuraho Under UDAN RCS Scheme
- In a big boost to regional air connectivity, the first direct flight between Delhi and heritage city of Khajuraho was flagged-off.
- With this, 405 routes would be operationalized under the UDAN-RCS (Ude Desh ka Aam Nagrik- Regional Connectivity Scheme).
- The Delhi-Khajuraho-Delhi route was awarded to SpiceJet airline under the UDAN 3.0.
- At present, SpiceJet services Gwalior and Jabalpur airports in Madhya Pradesh.
- With Khajuraho, it will be their 15th UDAN destination.
6. UN Environment Programme released Annual Frontiers Report
- The UNEP has released its annual Frontiers report.
- In report titled "Noise, Blazes and Mismatches: Emerging Issues of Environmental Concern", UNEP has warned that Wildfires are predicted to worsen in the coming years and decades.
- Wildfires are a natural phenomenon, but are becoming more dangerous and affecting larger areas
- The UN report has attributed this to climate change and human activities.
- Report said, in 2021 Africa was the most affected region due to wildfires
7. Bengal minister Sadhan Pandey passes away
- Veteran Trinamool Congress leader and senior West Bengal minister Sadhan Pande passed away.
- Pandey represented Kolkata’s Burtolla assembly constituency 5 times since 1987, when he was in the Congress, and the Manicktala constituency 3 times since 2011.
- He joined the TMC after its formation in 1998.
Honours & Awards
8. Coal India Ltd wins "Most Dependable Public Sector in India” Award
- Coal India Ltd has been awarded the 'India's Most Trusted Public Sector Company' award.
- CIL received this honor at the “Energy Meet and Excellence Award” function organized by Industry Chamber “ASSOCHAM” in Kolkata.
- Minister of state for Coal, Mines and Railways Shri Raosaheb Patil Danve also complimented CIL for bagging the coveted award.
- CIL is a Maharatna company of the Government of India.
Banking & Finance
9. Leather, footwear exports to reach $6 billion in 2022-23: CLE
- According to the Council for Leather Exports (CLE), country's leather and footwear exports are expected cross $6 billion in 2022-23.
- This is due to increasing demand in the US and new markets such as Middle East, Africa and Latin America.
- During April-January this fiscal, leather and leather products exports rose by 33 per cent to $3.6 billion.
- The exports stood at $3.3 billion in 2020-21 and $4.7 billion in 2019-20.
- Chairman of CLE: Sanjay Leekha
10. BoB signs MoU with Assam Rifles to provide 'Central Forces Salary Package
- Bank of Baroda has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Assam Rifles to provide 'Central Forces Salary Package'.
- Under the agreement, Bank of Baroda will offer the Baroda Central Forces Salary Package to all personnel of the Assam Rifles, both serving and retired.
- Further, the Bank will also provide special benefits, including Personal Accident Insurance and a co-branded credit card.
- Assam Rifles is country's oldest paramilitary force.
11. Tata Power, RWE tie up to develop offshore wind projects
- Tata Power has collaborated with Germany-based RWE Renewable GmbH to explore potential for a joint development of offshore wind projects in India.
- A corresponding MoU has been signed between Tata Power Renewable Energy Ltd and RWE Renewables GmbH, one of the world's leaders in offshore wind.
- The MoU between Tata Power Renewable Energy and RWE becomes significant in the light of the Central govt’s announcement of achieving 30GW of offshore wind installations by 2030.
Banking & Finance
12. Airtel joins undersea cable consortium to scale up high-speed network
- Bharti Airtel has joined the SEA-ME-WE-6 undersea cable consortium to scale up its high-speed global network capacity to serve India’s fast growing digital economy.
- The 19,200 Rkm SEA-ME-WE-6 will connect Singapore and France, and will be amongst the largest undersea cable systems globally.
- Through SEA-ME-WE-6, Airtel will add 100 TBps capacity to its global network.
- Airtel will land the SEA-ME-WE-6 cable system in India at new landing stations in Mumbai and Chennai.