1. Avinash Sable for bagged Gold in Men’s 3000 meter Steeplechase
- India’s Avinash Sable won the First-Ever gold medal in men’s 3000m steeplechase at the Asian Games 2023.
- His medal is India’s 12th gold at this edition of the Asian Games and the first track and field gold in China.
- He is 2022 Commonwealth Games silver medallist and holds the national record of 8min 11.20 sec.
- India won bronze in the men's canoe double 1000m event
- Harmilan Bains in women's 1500m won silver
- Murali Sreeshankar won silver in men's long jump
2. International Day of Older Persons is observed on 1st October
- International Day of Older Persons is observed on 1st October and is a special day for senior citizens all over the world.
- 2023 Theme: Fulfilling the Promises of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights for Older Persons
- Aim: To raise awareness of the value of senior persons in our society and to show our appreciation for their contributions.
- The purpose of the day is to draw attention to how the world might better the lives of older people.
3. International Coffee Day is observed on 1st October
- To recognize the work of millions of coffee farmers from all over the world, every year on October 1, the world celebrates International Coffee Day.
- Theme 2023: promoting the right to a safe and healthy working environment in the coffee supply chain.
- Coffee is one of the most widely consumed beverages in the world with an estimated 2 billion cups consumed each day.
- Coffee trade expanded across the Middle East and made its way to Europe by the 17th century.
4. CRPF organized a cross-country bike expedition with "Yashaswini"
- The Central Reserve Police Force, in collaboration with the Ministry of Women and Child Development, will organize a bike expedition with Yashaswini, to celebrate women's power in the country.
- A total of 150 women CRPF officers of three teams will embark on the cross-country rally.
- The teams will start their journeys from the Srinagar, Shillong, and Kanyakumari.
- They will converge at the Statue of Unity in Kevadia, Gujarat for the grand finale.
5. NESTS to organize 4th National EMRS Cultural, Literary and Kala Utsav - 202
- The National Education Society for Tribal Students (NESTS), under the Ministry of Tribal Affairs, is organizing the 4th National EMRS Cultural, Literary and Kala Utsav - 2023, from 3rd October to 6th October in Dehradun, Uttarakhand.
- Aim: To showcase the artistic talent of school students through the Kala Utsav.
- This year 2023 Eklavya Vidyalaya Sangathan Samiti (EVSS), Uttarakhand (State EMRS Society) will host the event at Maharana Pratap Sports College, Dehradun.
Banking & Finance
6. RBI imposes monetary penalty on 3 co-operative banks
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has imposed monetary penalties on three co-operative banks for violating rules.
- The banks include:
- Saraswat Co-operative Bank,
- Rajkot Nagarik Sahakari Co-operative Bank
- Bassein Catholic Co-operative Bank.
- The RBI imposed a penalty of Rs 25 lakh, Rs 13 lakh and Rs 23 lakh on Bassein Catholic Co-operative Bank, Rajkot Nagarik Sahakari Bank Ltd and Saraswat Co-operative Bank, respectively.
7. National Zoological Park begins celebration of 69th Wildlife Week
- National Zoological Park begins celebration of 69th Wildlife Week with theme "Partnerships for wildlife conservation"
- The Nature Park is a serene and breathtaking space within the bustling Gujarat Science City.
- It is a must visit for nature enthusiasts and botanists alike.
- The park not only promotes biodiversity but also serves as an educational platform for people.”
- It imparts valuable lessons on environmental conservation and sustainability.
8. PM gift National Turmeric Board & Sammakka Sarakka Tribal University
- The Prime Minister has announced the National Turmeric Board and Sammakka Sarakka Tribal University for Telangana and also 900 crore rupees to the Tribal University.
- Aim: To boost the farmers of the area as it will provide necessary infrastructure support, value addition, research facility and help in exports in a professional manner
- Awareness of the therapeutic value of turmeric had increased during the Covid pandemic leading to increased demand as well as exports.
Science & Technology
9. India’s Solar Mission Aditya L1 successfully escaped sphere of Earth
- India’s Solar Mission Aditya L1 successfully escaped the sphere of Earth’s influence by traveling beyond a distance of 9.2 lakh kilometers from Earth
- It is now navigating its path toward the Lagrange point L1 that is 1.5 million km from Earth.
- ISRO has informed the spacecraft is now on a trajectory that will take the spacecraft to the Sun-Earth L1 point
- After 110 days, the spacecraft will be injected into an orbit around L1 through a maneuver from the Ground station
National & International Organizations
10. The 2024 Best World Universities, Oxford At The Top, Ranked By THE
- The 20th edition of the World’s Best Universities by the Times Higher Education (THE) rankings has been released.
- The top 3 institutions in the ranking:
1- University of Oxford, U.K.
2- Stanford University, U.S.
3- Massachusetts Institute of Technolog, U.S.
- This time, the Indian Institute of Science (IISc) Bangalore has featured in the 201-250 bracket.
- Anna University, Jamia Millia Islamia, Mahatma Gandhi University – are in the 501-600 bracket.