National & International Appointments
1. Eknath Shinde sworn-in as the new Chief Minister of Maharashtra
- Governor, Bhagat Singh Koshyari has administered the oath of office to Eknath Shinde as the 20th Chief Minister of Maharashtra.
- BJP leader, Devendra Fadnavis was sworn-in as Deputy Chief Minister of the state.
- Devendra Fadnavis had served as the CM of Maharashtra from 2014-19.
- Shinde has served as the urban development minister in the previous Maha Vikas Aghadi government.
- Maharashtra Vidhan Sabha - 288 seats; Lok Sabha - 48 seats; Rajya Sabha - 19 seats
2. Neeraj Chopra clinches Silver medal at prestigious Diamond League meet
- Javelin thrower, Neeraj Chopra has clinched silver medal with a massive throw of 89.94 meter, at the prestigious Diamond League meet in Stockholm.
- He broke his own national record (89.30m) for the second time in a month.
- Anderson Peters (Grenadian athlete) won gold medal with a best throw of 90.31 meter.
- Earlier, he clinched silver at Paavo Nurmi Games in Turku (Finland).
- Neeraj Chopra is the first Indian to win a gold medal in athletics at the Olympics (Tokyo).
3. Ban on Single Use Plastic comes into force in the country from July 1, 2022
- The government of India has banned the single-use plastic from July 1, 2022.
- As per the notification on August 12, 2021, the government has prohibited the manufacture, import, stocking, distribution, sale, and use of all identified single-use plastic items, which have low utility and high littering potential with effect from July 1, 2022.
- Currently, Polyethylene terephthalate (PET) bottles do not fall under this category.
- Ministry of Environment: Bhupender Yadav
4. National Doctor’s Day 2022: 1st July
- National Doctors’ Day has observed annually on July 1 in India by the Indian Medical Association (IMA), to highlights the contributions of doctors in society.
- Theme 2022: “Family Doctors on the Front Line."
- First time, this day celebrated in 1991 on July 1 to honour Dr Bidhan Chandra Roy, whose birth and death anniversary, both fall on July 1.
- B C Roy has also become the Chief Minister of West Bengal from 1948 till his death in 1962.
5. Adani Sportsline become the principal sponsor of Indian Olympic Association
- Adani Sportsline has become the principal sponsor with the Indian Olympics Association (IOA) for the upcoming games, Birmingham Commonwealth 2022, Hangzhou Asian Games 2022, and Paris Olympic 2024.
- This is the second time that the Adani Group has collaborated with IOA after the Tokyo Olympics.
- Over 28 athletes have been supported by the Adani Sportsline's athlete support initiative, #GarvHai, across a variety of sports.
6. FM Nirmala Sitharaman releases the Business Reform Action 2020 in New Delhi
- Finance Minister, Nirmala Sitharaman has released the Business Reform Action Plan (BRAP)- 2020 in New Delhi.
- Top Achievers: Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat, Haryana, Karnataka, Punjab, Telangana and Tamil Nadu.
- Achievers category: Himachal Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Odisha, Uttarakhand and Uttar Pradesh
- Aspirers category: Assam, Chhattisgarh, Goa, Jharkhand, Kerala, Rajasthan and West Bengal.
7. CCI approves Google’s proposed stake buy in Bharti Airtel
- The Competition Commission of India (CCI) has approved Google International LLC’s proposed acquisition of a minority and non-controlling stake of 1.28% of equity capital of Bharti Airtel Limited (target).
- Along with this investment agreement, both companies have also entered into certain commercial deals through their affiliates.
- Google International LLC is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Google LLC, latter is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Alphabet Inc.
Banking & Finance
8. World Bank approves $1 Billion to support India’s Health Sector
- The World Bank has approved two complementary loans of $500 million each to enhance and support India’s health sector.
- This $1 Billion financing will support India’s flagship Pradhan Mantri-Ayushman Bharat Health Infrastructure Mission (PM-ABHIM).
- This scheme was launched in October 2021.
Aim of scheme: To improve the public healthcare infrastructure across the country.
- Loan prioritize statesAndhra Pradesh, Kerala, Meghalaya, Odisha, Punjab, Tamil Nadu, and UP.
9. PM Narendra Modi participates Udyami Bharat programme
- PM Narendra Modi has participated in the ‘Udyami Bharat’ programme and launched various key initiatives to ramp up the MSME sector.
- 1) Raising and Accelerating MSME Performance: Aims to scale up the implementation capacity and coverage of MSMEs
- 2) Capacity Building of First-Time MSME Exporters: To encourage MSMEs to offer goods and services of international standards for the global market.
- 3) Prime Minister’s Employment Generation Programme
10. Eoin Morgan announced his retirement from international cricket
- The captain of England’s men’s white-ball team, Eoin Morgan has announced his retirement from international cricket.
- Under his captaincy, England Men has clinched their first-ever ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup trophy at Lord’s in 2019 .
- He has also competed for England in the 2010 ICC Men’s T20 Cricket World Cup, which was held in the Caribbean.
- He has scored the most runs for England Men overall and has received the most caps in all ODI and T20I games.
Banking & Finance
11. ICICIDirect launches learning app to teach finance, investment to Indians
- ICICI Securities has launched a learning app named ‘ICICIdirect iLearn’ with an aim to provide customers with easy access to learning financial products and market topics.
- This will help customers with this app to better assist them in their investment journey.
- Currently, the app hosts more than 550 plus content pieces across various sections.
- The app content will be updated on regular intervals on different topics.
Banking & Finance
12. Max Life launches Insta confirmation of insurance (Insta-COI)+
- Max Life Insurance Company Ltd has launched a smart solution, ‘Insta confirmation of insurance (Insta-COI)’+, to customers buying the ‘Max Life Smart Fixed-return Digital Plan’.
- This is a non-linked, non-participating, individual life insurance savings plan on Max Life website or Policybazaar platform.
- It enables intimation to the customer regarding the commencement of the risk cover pending release of the policy contract ensuring a quick and hassle-free onboarding.