1. Mairaj Ahmad Khan becomes first Indian to win gold in men's Skeet at ISSF
- Two-time Olympian, Mairaj Ahmad Khan has created history by becoming the first Indian shooter to win the gold medal in the men’s skeet event at 2022 ISSF World Cup in Changwon, South Korea.
- He has recorded 37 hits out of a possible 40 in the final to win gold.
- Minsu Kim from South Korea has bagged silver medal, while Ben Llewellin of Great Britain won bronze.
- Women’s 50m rifle 3 positions team: Anjum Moudgil, Sift Kaur Samra and Ashi Chouksey won the bronze medal
National & International Appointments
2. Manipur Governor, La. Ganesan gets additional charge of West Bengal
- Manipur Governor, La Ganesan has been given the additional charge as the new Governor of Bengal, after the resignation of Jagdeep Dhankhar.
- He will discharge the functions of the governor of West Bengal, in addition to his own duties from the date he assumes charge of the office until regular arrangements are made.
- Jagdeep Dhankhar has filed his nomination as the Vice-President candidate by the National Democratic Alliance (NDA).
- Manipur CM: N. Biren Singh
National & International Organizations
3. India ranks 36 out of 52 countries in 2022 Expat Insider Rankings
- InterNations has released the Expat Insider Rankings for 2022, in which Mexico has topped the ranking, followed by Indonesia, Taiwan, Portugal, Spain, UAE, Vietnam, Thailand.
- India has ranked 36 out of the 52 countries, between Egypt (35th) and the UK (37th), China was placed in 33rd position.
- Bottom 10: Kuwait (52), New Zealand (51), Hong Kong(50), Cyprus (49), Luxembourg(48), Japan (47), South Africa (46th), Turkey (45th), Italy (44th), Malta (43rd)
4. NITI Aayog, WFP to launch Initiative on mainstreaming millets
- NITI Aayog to launch the Mapping and Exchange of Good Practices initiative for mainstreaming millets in Asia and Africa in association with the World Food Programme.
- Both organisations will jointly prepare a compendium of good practices for scaling up the production and consumption of millets in India and abroad.
- The event will be inaugurated by NITI Aayog Vice Chairman, Suman Bery.
- WFP HQ: Rome, Italy; Founded: 1961
- International Year of Millets: 2023
5. Veteran singer Bhupinder Singh passes away
- Veteran playback singer, Bhupinder Singh has passed away in Mumbai at the age of 82.
- He was born in Punjab's Amritsar and started his career with All India Radio and was also associated with Doordarshan Delhi.
- He worked with Mohammed Rafi, RD Burman, Lata Mangeshkar, and Bappi Lahiri.
- He has sung many songs like "Hoke Majboor Mujhe, Usne Bulaya Hoga", with Mohammed Rafi, Talat Mehmood, and Manna Dey, "Dil Dhoondhta Hai" and "Duki Pe Duki Ho Ya Satte Pe Satta.
6. Hindalco Inds signs MoU with Phinergy for Aluminium-Air batteries
- Hindalco Industries Ltd. has signed MoU with Israel based, Phinergy, and IOC Phinergy Pvt Ltd to develop Aluminium-air batteries for electric vehicles and energy storage.
- Hindalco, Phinergy and IOP partner on R&D and pilot production of aluminium plates for Aluminium-Air batteries, and recycling of aluminum after the usage in these batteries.
- Hindalco Industries is a subsidiary of Aditya Birla Group.
- IOC Phinergy, a JV between Phinergy and Indian Oil Corporation.
Banking & Finance
7. Kotak launches automation of vehicle inspection for insurance renewals
- Kotak Mahindra General Insurance has launched an automation of vehicle inspection for insurance renewals with Artificial Intelligence based technology.
- The company has partnered with Inspektlabs to automate the vehicle inspection process.
- Aim: Help in the renewal process as well as to detect fraud thereby aiding the underwriting process.
- During policy renewals process, the customers can capture photos or videos of their vehicle and upload them on the cloud-based App.
Banking & Finance
8. Digit Insurance launches ‘pay as you drive’ for motor insurance
- Go Digit General Insurance has launched an add-on feature for motor insurance Own Damage policies, named ‘Pay as you Drive’.
- Customers who drive less than 10,000 Km per year on an average, will now pay less with this add-on.
- Digit will use odometer reading, telematics data and annual kilometer opted to give this discount (up to 25%).
- IRDAI has also permitted to the general insurance companies to introduce such tech-enabled concepts in motor OD policies.
9. Rajasthan gets AI-Powered chatbot for fast disposal of cases in Lok Adalat
- National Legal Services Authority (NALSA) Chairman, Uday Umesh Lalit has launched the country’s first AI-powered digital Lok Adalat during the 18th All India Legal Services Authorities’ meet held in Jaipur, Rajasthan.
- The digital Lok Adalat by Rajasthan State Legal Services Authority (RSLSA) was designed and developed by Jupitice Justice Technologies (technology partner).
- Founded: 9 November 1995
- Headquarters location: New Delhi
- Motto: Access to Justice for All
10. Indian Grandmaster, Aravindh Chithambaram wins tournament in Spain
- Indian Grandmaster Aravindh Chithambaram has won the 41st Villa De Benasque International Chess Open title, after defeating Robert Hovhannisyan (Armenia) and Raunak Sadhwani on the basis of tie-break score.
- Chithambaram, Hovhannisyan and Sadhwani finished on eight points from 10 rounds along with seven others.
- Raunak Sadhwani has finished in third place behind the Armenian.
- Chithambaram is also a former national champion.
- Chithambaram coach: R B Ramesh
11. Former Punjab speaker Nirmal Singh Kahlon passes away
- Former Punjab Speaker and Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) leader, Nirmal Singh Kahlon has passed away at the age of 79.
- He was the Rural Development and Panchayat Minister from 1997 to 2002 and was elected as an MLA from Fatehgarh Churian constituency in Gurdaspur district in 1997 and 2007.
- He served as the Speaker of the Legislative Assembly from 2007 to 2012.
- In 2011, he received acquitted in a case pertaining to the recruitment scam in June 2002.
Banking & Finance
12. Farmers' average income grew 1.3-1.7x between FY18 and FY22: SBI study
- As per the SBI study, the average income of farmers between FY 2017-18 and 2021-22, has been increased in bracket of 1.3 -1.7 times across India.
- Income from allied and non-farm: 1.4-1.8 times(growth)
- Some crops like soybean in Maharashtra and cotton in Karnataka, incomes have in fact doubled during the same time.
- The study is based on primary data, contains granular data of various crops from agri-intensive branches and analyses the change in income of farmers.
13. Kerala becomes first state to have its own internet service
- The Kerala Fibre Optic Network (K-FON) has received the Internet Service Provider (ISP) license from the Department of Telecommunications.
- With this, Kerala has become the first and only state in the country to have its own internet service.
- The KFON is envisaged to provide free internet to BPL families and 30,000 government offices.
- The previous Left government had declared internet connection as a basic right and launched the Rs 1,548-crore KFON project in 2019.