1. Argentina wins 2022 FIFA World Cup championship
- Argentina has defeated France by 4-2 on penalties to win the 2022 FIFA World Cup, held at the Lusail Stadium in Doha, Qatar.
- This is third-ever World Cup victory of Argentina and first since 1986.
- Kylian Mbappé (France) has won the 2022 FIFA World Cup Golden Boot award with 8 goals.
- Lionel Messi won Golden Ball (best player award) at the 2022 Fifa World Cup in Qatar.
- Best goalkeeper (golden glove): Emiliano Martínez (Argentina)
- Fair play award: England
2. PM Modi launches "Grih Pravesh" programme in Agartala
- PM Modi has visited Tripura and Meghalaya to inaugurate and lay the foundation stones of projects worth over Rs 6,800 crore.
- During his visit, he has launched the "Grih Pravesh" programme in Agartala, under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Urban and Rural schemes.
- He has also inaugurated connectivity projects for the widening of the Agartala bypass (Khayerpur – Amtali) NH-08.
- He has inaugurated spawn laboratory at the Mushroom Development Centre in Meghalaya.
3. Minister Jitendra Singh inaugurates 'Prashasan Gaon ki Ore' campaign
- Dr Jitendra Singh (Union Minister for Personnel, Public Grievances, and Pensions) has inaugurated a nationwide campaign, Prashasan Gaon ki Ore.
- This campaign was launched under the Good Governance Week 2022 in New Delhi.
- He has also launched the Good Governance Week portal, www.pgportal.gov.in.
- In the 5 days campaign, over 300 New Services identified by District Collectors across the country will be added for Online Service Delivery.
4. Tamil Nadu govt launches 'Friends of Library' programme
- The Tamil Nadu government has launched 'Friends of Library' programme, under which books would be directly given to those who are unable to access state-run libraries.
- Anbil Mahesh Poyyamozhi (School Education minister) has announced that volunteers' services would be employed for this.
- This project will be helpful to people with disabilities, seniors, kids, and hospital in-patients, among others, who are unable to visit a library.
Banking & Finance
5. IDFC FIRST Bank launched ZERO Fee Banking on savings accounts
- IDFC FIRST Bank has announced the ZERO Fee Banking on savings accounts and waived fees on multiple banking services, including Passbook charges, NEFT charges.
- As per the bank, the customers maintaining as low as ₹10,000 Average Monthly Balance, and the ₹25,000 AMB savings account variant will get these benefits.
- IDFC Bank has celebrated its Foundation Day on 18 December.
- This is a customer friendly initiative from IDFC FIRST Bank.
- IDFC FIRST MD: V Vaidyanathan
6. Jaipur Pink Panthers wins Pro Kabaddi League 2022 title
- Jaipur Pink Panthers has defeated Puneri Paltan by 33-29 in the summit clash to emerge champions of the 2022 Pro Kabaddi League.
- The tournament was played across Bengaluru, Pune and Hyderabad while the playoffs were played in Mumbai.
- V Ajith, Sunil Kumar and Arjun Deshwal emerged as the best players for Jaipur side with six points each.
- Jaipur Pink Panthers team is currently led by Sunil Kumar Malik and coached by Sanjeev Baliyan.
- The team is owned by Abhishek Bachchan
7. IIT Madras gets $1 million from Google to develop 'Responsible AI Centre'
- Google has granted a fund of $1 million to IIT Madras to build India’s first Responsible AI center.
- In addition, Google has also planned to collaborate with Indian Institute of Science (IISC) for project Vaani.
- Furthermore, under the partnership, Google aims to build an artificial intelligence/machine learning (AI/ML) model to collect language samples from 773 districts across India.
- Project Vaani aims to ensure the collected and produced data will be open-source.
8. Goa Liberation Day: 19th December
- The Goa Liberation day is celebrated every year on December 19 in India to mark the victory of Indian armed forces to free Goa from 450 years of the Portuguese rule.
- Dr. Ram Manohar Lohia led the Goa liberation movement on June 18, 1946, with the aim of liberating Goa by gathering young Goans.
- The Union of India was completed with Goa's liberation on December 19, 1961.
- Goa continued to be a UT till 1987 and then was given statehood by becoming the 25th state of India.
Banking & Finance
9. Indian Bank launched special retail term deposit “Ind Shakti 555 days”
- Indian Bank has launched a new special retail term deposit dubbed as “Ind Shakti 555 days”, effective from December 19, 2022.
- This product is offering higher rate of interest for investment starting from Rs. 5000 to less than 2 Crore for 555 days in the form of FD/MMD with callable options.
- An interest rate of 7% for the general public and 7.15% for senior citizens.
- It is offering an interest rate of 3.00% on deposits that mature in the next 30 to 45 days.
10. EU adopts global minimum 15% tax on multinationals
- The European Union has adopted a plan for a global minimum 15 percent tax on multinational businesses, after leaders gave final approval following months of wrangling.
- The landmark agreement between nearly 140 countries is intended to stop governments racing to cut taxes to lure the world's richest firms to their territory.
- The plan was drawn up under the guidance of the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD).