National & International Appointments
1. RBI appointed PR Seshadri as MD and CEO of South Indian Bank
- The Reserve Bank of India appointed PR Seshadri as MD & CEO of South Indian Bank and he will serve for a period of three years.
- He is currently mentoring businesses both at an operating level as well as at the board level at various companies.
- He has served as Managing Director & CEO of The Karur Vysya Bank Limited.
- He holds a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering from the Delhi College of Engineering and a PG Diploma in Management from the IIM Bangalore.
2. Priya Malik bagged Gold medal at Under20 World Wrestling Championships 2
- Indian wrestler Priya Malik clinched a Gold medal at the 2023 U20 World Wrestling Championships (women's 76kg freestyle) in Jordan by defeating Laura Celine Kuehn of Germany.
- She became just the second woman wrestler from India to be crowned U20 world championship.
- Antim Panghal had been the first woman from India to win a junior world title in wrestling at last year's edition.
- She has now won both the U17 2021 and 2022 and U20 world titles.
3. India gets first-ever night street racing circuit in Chennai
- Tamil Nadu government partnered with Racing Promotions Private Limited to launch India's first-ever night street racing circuit in India and South Asia that will be hosting a night race
- RRPL is also the promoter of the Indian Racing League and F4 Indian Championship
- As for the track, it is a 3.5km layout, located around the Island Grounds that resides in the heart of the city.
- Minister for Youth Welfare and Sports Development Udhayanidhi Stalin has launched the circuit
4. 4. IAF to hold multi-national exercise 'Tarang Shakti' with world's top air
- The Indian Air Force (IAF) will hold its first-ever multi-national air exercise 'Tarang Shakti', in October 2023, the biggest air exercise to be conducted in India.
- The exercise intends to strengthen military cooperation between the air forces.
- Out of 12, Six air forces will participate in the exercise, while the rest will attend the aerial drills as observers.
- The air forces of the US, the UK, France and Australia are among those likely to take part in the exercise.
Banking & Finance
5. Wipro launches center of excellence on generative AI at IIT Delhi
- Indian IT services company Wipro introduces the launch of a new Center of Excellence on Generative Artificial Intelligence (AI) in partnership with IIT Delhi.
- Aim: To foster accelerated innovation in some of the most exciting emerging areas of technology.
- Objective: To enhance our research & development capabilities in emerging regions, such as generative AI.
- Teams will jointly work on building innovative solutions using AI, ML, and other technologies.
6. India's first long-range revolver "Prabal" to be launched
- India's first long-range revolver 'Prabal' is to be launched in August 2023 manufactured by Advanced Weapons and Equipment India (AWEIL).
- About Prabal
- The Prabal revolver boasts a firing range of up to 50 metres, more than twice the reach of other revolvers.
- The Prabla revolver is light in weight and equipped with a side swing cylinder.
- It weighs 700 grams (without cartridges) in weight and its barrel length is 76 m, while its overall length is 177.6 mm.
Banking & Finance
7. Reserve Bank of India launched a centralized Web portal, UDGAM
- The Reserve Bank of India launched a centralized Web portal, UDGAM (Unclaimed Deposits Gateway to Access Information), for searching unclaimed deposits across multiple banks.
- Aim: To identify their unclaimed deposits and accounts and enable them to either claim the deposit amount or make their deposit accounts operational at their respective banks.
- The 7 banks include State Bank of India, Punjab National Bank, Central Bank of India, South Indian Bank and Dhanlaxmi Bank
National & International Organizations
8. Central Water Commission launches Flood Watch mobile App
- Chairman of Central Water Commission Kushvinder Vohra launches FloodWatch mobile app for real-time flood forecast situations across the country in New Delhi
- Aim: To disseminate information related to the flood situation and forecasts for up to seven days on a real-time basis.
- It utilizes advanced technologies such as satellite data analysis and real-time monitoring to deliver accurate and timely flood forecasts and make it easy to stay informed and minimized risk
9. ‘India’s first village atlas’ is of Mayem in Goa
- Mayem has become the first village in Goa to have a biodiversity atlas, a 250-page document with maps detailing the floral and faunal biodiversity of the village.
- The atlas was prepared based on the People’s biodiversity register (PBR) prepared by the village Biodiversity management committee
- There are huge funds to be tapped for villages that have registered biodiversity atlases. For every lake, the government of India is ready to give Rs 10 crore to maintain it.
10. World Humanitarian Day is celebrated on 18th August 2023
- World Humanitarian Day is observed on the 19th August.
- Aim: To bring partners from across the humanitarian system together and work collectively for survival, well-being and dignity of people affected by crises.
- World Humanitarian Day 2023 theme is: NoMatterWhat.
- It is the day when 22 colleagues were killed at the United Nations Office in Baghdad,
- It is an opportunity to pay tribute to colleagues who have lost their lives in humanitarian service
11. Chennai-based Agnikul Cosmos begins integration of its first satellite
- Chennai-based space tech startup Agnikul Cosmos has launched its first small satellite rocket, named Agnibaan SOrTeD, with its private launchpad at the Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota.
- The rocket is driven by Agnikul’s patented Agnilet engine, which is a 3D-printed, single-piece, 6 kN semi-cryogenic engine.
- These flight events have been configured to validate key technologies integral to the success of the company’s upcoming orbital flights.
12. Country’s first 3D-printed post office coming up in Bengaluru
- India's first 3D-printed post office is coming up at Cambridge Layout in Bengaluru
- 3D printing is a process of making three-dimensional solid objects from a digital file.
- In this process an object is created by laying down successive layers of material until the object is created. Each of these layers can be seen as a thinly sliced cross-section of the object.
- 3D printing enables you to produce complex shapesusing less material than traditional manufacturing methods.
13. Wahab Riaz announces retirement from international cricket
- Pakistan left-arm seamer Wahab Riaz announced retirement from international cricket in August 2023.
- In his career of 15 years, he played 27 Tests, 91 ODIs and 36 T20Is, taking 237 wickets from 154 internationals.
- The Pakistani paceman is fondly remembered for his fiery spell in the 2015 World Cup against Shane Watson.
- He will be remembered as one of the most popular and respected players in Pakistan’s recent history.