Summits & Conferences
1. 14th edition of World Spice Congress (WSC) held in Mumbai
- The 14th edition of the World Spice Congress (WSC) began at Vashi in Navi Mumbai.
- Theme: 'VISION 2030: S-P-I-C-E-S
- The three-day event has been organized by the Spices Board India, Ministry of Commerce and Industry, in association with various trade bodies and export forums.
- The event has the presence of policymakers, regulatory authorities, spice trade associations, government officials as well as technical experts from G20 countries, among others.
National & International Appointments
2. Srinivasan K. Swamy elected Chairman of Audit Bureau of Circulations
- Srinivasan K. Swamy, Executive Chairman of R.K. Swamy Hansa Group, has been unanimously elected Chairman of the Audit Bureau of Circulations (ABC) for the year 2023-2024.
- He served as Chairman of the Asian Federation of Advertising Associations.
- He was earlier President / Chairman of the International Advertising Association (IAA), IAA India Chapter, Confederation of Asian Advertising Agency Associations, and Advertising Agencies Association of India.
3. Govt approves defence acquisition worth 45 thousand crore
- The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) has accorded Acceptance of Necessity, AoN for nine capital acquisition proposals of approximately 45 thousand crore rupees.
- The meeting was held under the chairmanship of Raksha Mantri Rajnath Singh.
- All these procurements will be made from Indian vendors which will give a substantial boost to the Indian defence Industry towards achieving the goal of ‘Aatmanirbhar Bharat’.
National & International Appointments
4. IRS officer Rahul Navin appointed ED Acting Director
- The Centre has appointed special director Rahul Navin as in-charge director of the Enforcement Directorate (ED) till the new regular director is selected.
- He is a 1993-batch IRS officer and took charge as the acting director of the ED from Sanjay Kumar Mishra.
- He is currently working as a Special Director-Chief Vigilance Officer (ED headquarters).
- The Centre had approached the Supreme Court seeking a tenure extension for Mishra till October 15.
5. International Day for the Preservation of the Ozone Layer 2023
- World Ozone Day is observed annually on September 16 to raise awareness about the importance of the ozone layer and how its depletion is leading to global warming and climate change across the world.
- 2023 theme: Montreal Protocol: Fixing the Ozone Layer and Reducing Climate Change
- The day is recognised to commemorate the Montreal Protocol, an environmental agreement that regulates the production and consumption of nearly 100 man-made chemicals.
6. Cabinet approves eCourts phase III for 4 years
- The Indian government has given the green light to Phase III of the e-Courts project, marking another significant step towards modernizing the country’s judicial system.
- With a substantial budget allocation of Rs 7,210 crore, this initiative aims to leverage technology to enhance the efficiency and accessibility of the courts.
- One of the central objectives of the e-Courts Phase III project is to transition towards a digital, online, and paperless court system.
7. Ministry of Railways launches ‘Swachhata Pakhwada-2023’
- The Ministry of Railways in India has officially launched the Swachhata Pakhwada 2023 campaign.
- This initiative, aimed at promoting cleanliness and environmental consciousness, commenced on the 15th of September, 2023.
- Chairperson & CEO of the Railway Board, Jaya Varma Sinha, kicked off the event at Rail Bhawan by leading the Swachhata Pledge.
- The Swachhata Pledge embraced by the entire Railway family is built upon three fundamental principles
Honours & Awards
8. Karachi’s Erica Robin becomes first Miss Universe Pakistan 2023
- Erica Robin, a model from Karachi has been crowned “Miss Universe Pakistan 2023”, becoming the first-ever woman from the country to win the title.
- Four other models from different parts of the country participated in the beauty pageant, including Hira Inam from Lahore, Jessical Wilson from Rawalpindi, Pakistani-American Malika Alvi from Pennsylvania, and Sabrina Wasim.
- Jessica Wilson was named first runner-up.
9. India launches UPAg, a Unified Portal for Agricultural Statistics
- The government of India has unveiled the UPAg (Unified Portal for Agricultural Statistics) to tackle the complex governance challenges that currently beset the country’s farming industry.
- The Ministry of Agriculture hails UPAg as an innovative platform meticulously crafted to streamline and enhance data management within the agricultural domain.
- It represents a crucial stride towards establishing a more efficient and responsive agricultural policy framework.
National & International Organizations
10. India ranks first among 154 nations in Grassroot Adoption of Crypto
- According to the Chainalysis’ 2023 Global Crypto Adoption Index, India has achieved the top rank among 154 nations in grassroots crypto adoption, displaying remarkable resilience.
- Nigeria ranked second in the index, followed by Vietnam.
- India has secured the first position in four critical parameters:
- Centralized Service Value Received
- Retail Centralized Service Value Received
- DeFi Value Received
- Retail DeFi Value Received