1. Raunak Sadhwani won FIDE World Junior Rapid Chess Championship
- Raunak Sadhwani and Govhar Beydullayeva won gold in The FIDE World Junior Rapid Chess Championship 2023
- Indian GM pulled off a crucial victory over Tobias Koelle and clinched the title as two other co-leaders, Arseniy Nesterov and Dimitris Alexakis, drew their game and tied for second place with Or Globus.
- Nesterov claimed silver thanks to superior tiebreaks and became the only unbeaten player in the open section; Alexakis took bronze.
Summits & Conferences
2. World Health Summit 2023
- The World Health Summit, a leading global health conference and network to set the agenda for a healthier future by inspiring innovative solutions for better health and well-being for all.
- The event takes place in Berlin, Germany and online from 15–17 October under the theme "A Defining Year for Global Health Action".
- World Health Summit 2023 include:
- learning from COVID-19 for future pandemic prevention
- recommitting to universal health coverage
3. Skill India partners with Coca-Cola India to launch Program
- The National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) announced a partnership with Coca-Cola India to launch the Super Power Retailer Program under the Skill India Mission.
- The program is being piloted in the state of Odisha.
- The initiative will play a pivotal role in strengthening India’s economy by skilling, reskilling and upskilling the retailers
- The program aims to upskill retailers across key states over three years
4. Former CEC Dr. Manohar Singh Gill passes away
- The Election Commission of India has deeply mourned the passing away of former Chief Election Commissioner Dr. M S Gill at New Delhi.
- Dr. M.S. Gill was the 11th Chief Election Commissioner of India.
- His leadership and commitment to the electoral process will continue to inspire us at the Election Commission of India.
- Gill was awarded the Padma Vibhushan in the year 2000 for his exceptional and distinguished services as a civil servant.
5. Amit Shah inaugurated Samau Shaheed Memorial and Library
- Union Home Minister and Minister of Cooperation Amit Shah inaugurated Samau Shaheed Memorial and Library in Gandhinagar, Gujarat.
- During the Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav Modi started initiatives to build memorials of countless unsung martyrs across the country who sacrificed their lives in the 90 years of freedom struggle from 1857 to 1947
- Aim: To revive their history so that the youth and the new generation could draw inspiration from them.
6. Coastal Security Exercise Sagar Kavach held in Andhra Pradesh
- A two-day Coastal Security Exercise Sagar Kavach involving all maritime security agencies was conducted by the Indian Navy in Andhra Pradesh, TN and the UT of Puducherry from 11-12 Oct 2023.
- Aim: To assess the efficacy and robustness of the coastal security mechanism while dealing with asymmetric threat emanating from the sea.
- Indian Naval Ships along with assets of the Coast Guard and other coastal security agencies were deployed to augment surveillance in the area.
7. Dubai Soars as World's Fastest-Recovering Services Hub in 2023
- Dubai, a global economic powerhouse, has proven its mettle as the world's fastest-recovering destination in the services sector, marking an impressive growth rate of 3.2% in the first half of 2023.
- This achievement has underpinned Dubai's standing as a leading city that defies economic challenges, driven by visionary leadership.
- A key goal of the Dubai Economic Agenda is to double the size of Dubai's economy over the next decade
8. World Anaesthesia Day is observed on 16th October 2023
- World Anaesthesia Day is observed on October 16 every year to raise awareness about the importance of anaesthesia in medical treatments.
- Aim: To support anaesthesia providers around the world to celebrate their profession. The discovery of anaesthesia helps patients undergo surgical treatments without any pain.
- The theme for World Anaesthesia Day 2023 is 'Anaesthesia and Cancer Care tries to raise awareness about the pivotal role of anaesthesia in cancer treatments.
9. World Spine Day is observed on 16th October 2023
- Every year October 16 is marked as World Spine Day to highlight the burden of spinal pain and disability globally.
- The theme of World Spine Day 2023 is Move Your Spine.
- Aim: To aware about the prevailing spine disorders, their impact on one's life, sign and symptoms
- About Spine:
- Your spine or backbone is your body’s central support structure.
- The spine helps connect different parts of your musculoskeletal system. Your spine helps you sit, stand, walk, twist, and bend.
Honours & Awards
10. Nawanpind Sardaran Village Receives Best Tourism Village Award
- The Nawanpind Sardaran village, located in Gurdaspur, Punjab, awarded the title of “Best Tourism Village of India 2023” by the Union Ministry of Tourism.
- This recognition was a testament to the remarkable efforts of the Sangha sisters, who have passionately dedicated themselves to preserving their ancestral homes, Kothi and Pipal Haveli, and promoting sustainable tourism in their village.
- It is located just five kilometers south of National Highway 54