Honours & Awards
1. Najma Akhtar honored with lifetime achievement award in academia 2023
- Professor Najma Akhtar, the Vice-Chancellor of Jamia Millia Islamia (JMI), has been honored with the prestigious Lifetime Achievement Award-Academia 2023.
- The award was presented by Padma Vibhushan awardee Raghunath Anant Mashelkar at the Grand Conference and Award Function titled Making India Employable.
- The ‘ Making India Employable' Awards are organized to celebrate individual success, innovation, and real-world impact in the field of education, and employability.
Honours & Awards
2. Rail India Technical and Economic Service won Safety Innovation Award 2023
- Rail India Technical and Economic Service Limited has been honored with the ‘Safety Innovation Award 2023’, under the ‘Construction’ category, for implementing ‘Innovative Safety Management Systems’ in its operations.
- The award was presented to RITES’ officials during the inaugural function of the 20th Safety Convention organized.
- RITES, having multi-sectoral presence, has consistently embraced best safety practices in its operations.
3. State Health Minister launches "Mission Intensified IndraDhanush” 5.0
- Punjab state Health Minister Balbir Singh launched "Mission Intensified Indra Dhanush” 5.0.
- Aim: To provide vaccination against 12 Vaccine-Preventable Diseases (VPD) i.e. diphtheria, Whooping cough, tetanus, polio, tuberculosis, hepatitis B, meningitis and pneumonia.
- The main purpose of the launch of this mission is to cover those pregnant women who are partially vaccinated or unvaccinated as well as children left out and drop out in the age group of 0-5 years.
Banking & Finance
4. IIT Kanpur partners with ICICI Bank to foster startup innovation
- The Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur signed a MoU with private lender ICICI Bank to support the startup ecosystem in the institute.
- Aim: To empower startups and innovators at its Startup Incubation and Innovation Centre (SIIC).
- SIIC is one of the oldest incubators in the country having been engulfed on its journey in 2000.
- Objective: To support incubates by improving their understanding of foreign trade policies by conducting several workshops and seminars.
5. International Day of Democracy is observed on 15th September
- The International Day of Democracy is celebrated around the world on 15 September each year.
- 2023 Theme: Empowering the next generation
- It was established through a resolution passed by the UN General Assembly in 2007, encouraging governments to strengthen and consolidate democracy.
- It is an opportunity to highlight the important role of parliaments and to celebrate their capacity and mandate to deliver on justice, peace, development, and human rights.
6. Engineer's Day is observed on 15th September
- Engineers Day is being celebrated across the country on 15th September.
- The theme for 2023 is 'Engineering for a Sustainable Future.
- The date of birth of Dr. Mokshagundam Visvesvaraya, popularly known as the Civil Engineer of India, was announced by the Government of India in the year 1868 to celebrate 15 September (year 1860) as Engineer's Day.
- He was awarded the Bharat Ratna in the year 1955, 15 September (year 1860).
- It is also celebrated in Sri Lanka and Tanzania.
Banking & Finance
7. Max Life Insurance enters health, wellness segment with new plan SEWA
- Max Life Insurance Company made its foray into the health and wellness category with the launch of a flagship offering Secure Earnings & Wellness Advantage Plan (SEWA)
- Aim: To drive insurance adoption amongst women and transgender customers for financial inclusion, it provides a 5% discount in the 1st yr premium to these customer segments
- Objective: To integrate health, protection, and holistic wellness benefits to cater to the evolving needs of the modern consumer
National & International Organizations
8. SIDBI partners with Tata Power for MSME solar rooftop financing
- Tata Power Company signed a MoU with the Small Industries Development Bank of India to provide accessible financing options to MSMEs looking to adopt solar solutions.
- Aim: To promote solar energy adoption among MSMEs by providing tailored and innovative financing solutions through SIDBI’s 4E Scheme
- Scheme: MSMEs opting for Rooftop Solar PV Plants or associated services from Tata Power or its channel partners across India will receive financial support from SIDBI.
9. Odisha Govt signs MoU with six public sector banks to provide banking servi
- Odisha Govt has signed an MoU with six Public Sector Banks for providing banking services in all unbanked Gram Panchayats of the State through CSP Plus banking outlets.
- Banks include SBI, PNB, Union Bank, UCO Bank, BOI, BOB
- Aim: To provide rent free banking space for 5 years and also bear one-time expenses for Fixed Cost & Recurring expenses for a period of 3 years.
- Scheme will be implemented in a phased manner to cover all unbanked GPs of State within the FY23-24
10. Assam Governor launches 'Sarpanch Samvad' app
- Assam Governor Gulab Chand Kataria unveiled ‘Sarpanch Samvaad’ , a mobile application app of the Quality Council of India (QCI) in Raj Bhavan.
- Aim: To connect approximately 2.5 lakh Sarpanchs across India, which serves as a holistic platform for networking, knowledge dissemination, and collaboration.
- Through this initiative, Sarpanchs can spotlight developmental activities in their villages, learn about best practices, and foster connections nationwide.
11. India becomes the 13th nation to issue OIML certificates
- India has become the 13th Internationally Accepted OIML (International Organization of Legal Metrology) Certificates Issuing Authority.
- Aim: To create a facility for international manufacturers to get their equipment tested in here and this, in turn, will generate revenue and employment.
- OIML is an intergovernmental organisation and its certificate is internationally accepted for selling weights & measures anywhere in the world.
12. India and Japan hold discussion on bilateral cyber cooperation in Tokyo
- India and Japan discussed important areas of bilateral cyber cooperation and reviewed the progress achieved in the areas of cyber security and Information and Communication Technologies.
- Japan hosted the fifth India-Japan Cyber Dialogue in Tokyo
- Aim: To exchange views on the latest developments in the cyber domain and mutual cooperation at the United Nations and other multilateral and regional fora, including under the Quad framework.
Banking & Finance
13. Yes Bank and BriskPe partner to enable seamless cross-border payments
- Cross-border payments company BriskPe and Yes Bank have partnered to introduce BriskPe A2A, a suite of solutions designed to empower exporters and importers.
- Aim: To boost the MSME sector and transform India into a global export powerhouse.
- Objective: To enables BriskPe’s customers to collect payments in over 36 foreign currencies, spanning over 180 countries.
- The funds can then be converted into INR and settled directly into their local bank accounts in India