Summits & Conferences
1. PM Modi to inaugurate third edition of Global Maritime India Summit 2023
- Narendra Modi will inaugurate the third edition of the Global Maritime India Summit 2023, held from 17th to 19th October in Mumbai.
- He will unveil 'Amrit Kaal Vision 2047', the long-term blueprint for the Indian maritime blue economy.
- Aim: To enhance port facilities, promote sustainable practices, and facilitate international collaboration.
- He will inaugurate, dedicate to the nation, and lay the foundation stone of projects worth more than 23 thousand crore rupees.
2. World Students Day being celebrated in India on 15th October
- World Students Day is being celebrated on 15th October in the country to mark the birth anniversary of Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, the 11th president of the country.
- The theme for World Students Day 2023 is “FAIL: stands for First Attempt in Learning.
- Dr APJ Abdul Kalam also known as the ‘Missile Man’ of India was born on the 15th of October, 1931, in Rameswaram, Tamil Nadu.
- He served as the 11th President of India from 2002 to 2007.
Banking & Finance
3. RBI Imposes ₹1 Crore Penalty On Union Bank
- The RBI has imposed a penalty of ₹1 crore on Union Bank of India for non-compliance with directions on ‘Loans and Advances – Statutory and Other Restrictions’.
- Examination of the financials for FY21 revealed that the bank sanctioned a term loan to a corporation in lieu of or to substitute budgetary resources envisaged for certain projects.
- It also fined RBL Bank for an amount of ₹64 lakh for violation of norms on regulatory approval
4. Kerala Gets Its First 3D-Printed Building In Just 28 Days
- Kerala,'s Amaze-28 first building built using 3D printing technology has been inaugurated.
- Designed as a demonstration project, Amaze-28 is a model that was completed in just 28 days.
- The project was completed by Keral State Nirmiti Kerndra with the support of Tvasta, a Chennai-based construction tech start-up launched by some IIT-Madras alumni.
- 3D printing is layer-by-layer printing. In 3D printing basically, there are 3 processing.
5. England captain Alastair Cook announced his retirement from cricket
- Former England captain Alastair Cook announced his retirement from cricket after deciding against seeking a renewal of his contract at Essex, his long-time county team.
- The left-handed opener had already retired from the international game in 2018 after hitting 12,472 Test runs.
- Cook's contract expired at Essex at the end of the recently completed domestic season.
6. Global Handwashing Day is observed on 15th October 2023
- Global Handwashing Day is celebrated on October 15 to encourage people to wash their hands with soap at critical times.
- The 2023 Global Handwashing Day theme is “Clean hands are within reach.”
- Aim: To spread the word about handwashing, build sinks and tippy taps, and demonstrate the simplicity and value of clean hands.
- It is endorsed by governments, schools, international institutions, civil society organizations,private companies, individuals, and more.
7. Central Electricity Authority Celebrates Its 50th Foundation Day
- The Central Electricity Authority celebrates its 50th Foundation Day, which provides technical and policy support to the government and to all other stakeholders in the power sector.
- The event served as a platform to recognize the contributions of the CEA in shaping the energy landscape of India.
- The 50th Foundation Day celebration in New Delhi was graced by the Union Minister for Power and New & Renewable Energy, Shri R. K. Singh
8. Jaishankar unveils Rabindranath Tagore’s bust in Vietnam
- India and Vietnam share profound historical connections dating back almost 2,000 years which are rooted in Buddhism
- External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar inaugurated a bust of Nobel Laureate writer-poet Rabindranath Tagore in Bac Ninh city.
- The historical and cultural connections between India and Vietnam, enriched by the introduction of Buddhism, literary exchange, and the influence of Rabindranath Tagore, continue to strengthen the bond between these two nations.
9. PM Narendra Modi Releases New Garba Song “Maadi”
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has penned down a Garba song, titled ‘Maadi’, composed by Meet brothers, Manmeet Singh and Harmeet Singh.
- Divya Kumar lent his voice to the track, while the music was composed by Manmeet Singh and Harmeet Singh from Meet Bros.
- Titled ‘Garbo,’ the song voiced by singer Dhvani Bhanushali and composed by Tanishk Bagchi was released under the banner of Jjust Music, a music label founded by actor-producer Jackky Bhagnani.
10. Bharat Rashtra Samithi In Telangana Unveils Manifesto
- The Bharat Rashtra Samithi (BRS) recently unveiled its manifesto, promising a host of transformative initiatives aimed at improving the lives of underprivileged citizens.
- One of the standout promises in the BRS manifesto is the provision of life insurance coverage of ₹5 lakh to over 93 lakh Below Poverty Line (BPL) families.
- Aim: To provide a much-needed safety net to those who are economically vulnerable.