1. India celebrates 77th Independence Day
- India is celebrating its 77th Independence Day on August 15, 2023.
- PM Narendra Modi addressed the nation from the ramparts of the Red Fort in Delhi and unfurled the national flag.
- This year, the theme is 'Nation First, Always First' under the 'Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav' celebration.
- This year, around 1,800 special guests from various sections of society were invited to witness the ceremony.
- The G2o logo made from flowers is displayed on the ground
2. Sulabh founder Bindeshwar Pathak passes away at 80
- Bindeshwar Pathak the founder of Sulabh International passed away due to a cardiac arrest
- He was a pioneer in building public toilets.
- He founded Sulabh International, a social service organization that works to promote human rights, environmental sanitation, waste management
- In 1991, He was awarded the Padma Bhushan for his work for liberating and rehabilitating manual scavengers and also for preventing environmental pollution by providing pour-flush toilet technology
Honours & Awards
3. President Droupadi Murmu confers 76 Gallantry awards in 2023
- President Droupadi Murmu has conferred 76 Gallantry awards to members of the Armed Forces and Central Armed Police Forces on the occasion of Independence Day 2023.
- Kirti Chakra awards (awarded posthumously) - 4
- Shaurya Chakra awards (including five posthumous) - 11
- Bar to Sena Medals (Gallantry)- 2
- Sena Medals (Gallantry) - 52
- Nao Sena Medals (Gallantry) -3
- Vayu Sena Medals (Gallantry) - 4
4. Eknath Shinde launched a mobile app & WhatsApp helpline
- Maharashtra Chief Minister Eknath Shinde launched a mobile app and WhatsApp helpline for the Chief Minister's Medical Assistance Fund.
- A helpline number 8650567567 has been started for patients and their relatives.
- More than 12 thousand 500 patients have benefited from the Chief Minister's Aid Fund in the last one year.
- On this occasion, the fifth edition of the medical aid manual and the book 'Rokhthok' based on the ideology of Balasaheb Thackeray was launched.
5. Telangana govt announces farm loan waiver up to Rs 99999
- Telangana government has announced a farm loan waiver of up to 99 thousand 999 in August 2023.
- It will be cleared within the next 45 days.
- The Government has released over 5,800 crore rupees towards this end which will benefit over 9 lakh farmers.
- The amount will be transferred directly into loan accounts of farmers. With the latest decision, farm loans up to 99,999, amounting to 7753.43 crore rupees, of over 16 lakh 66 thousand farmers will be cleared.
6. Arunachal govt allots 12 'stalled' hydropower projects to three Central PSU
- Arunachal Pradesh Government signed MoAs with three Central Public Sector Undertakings to allot 12 'stalled' hydropower projects in August 2023.
- The three CPSUs are National Hydroelectric Power Corporation Limited, Satluj Jal Vidyut Nigam Ltd (SJVN) and North Eastern Electric Power Corporation Limited.
- The total operational capacity of these 12 projects, withdrawn from the private players, will be to the tune of 11,523 MW.
- CM of Arunachal Pradesh is Pema Khandu
7. CM Ashok Gehlot launches free food packet scheme
- Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot launched the Mukhyamantri Nishulk Annapurna Food Packet Scheme on the occasion of Independence Day.
- Under the scheme, families covered under the National Food Security Act (NFSA) will get the Annapurna food packets every month from the fair price shops (FPS) for free.
- Each packet will contain one kg each of gram pulses, sugar and iodized salt, one litre soybean refined edible oil, 100 gram each of chili powder and coriander powder.
Honours & Awards
8. 53 personnel awarded Fire Service Medals on Independence Day 2023
- A total of 53 personnel have been awarded Fire Service Medals on the occasion of Independence Day, 2023.
- President’s Fire Service Medal for Distinguished Service has been awarded to 8
- Personnel and Fire Service Medal for Meritorious Service has been awarded to 41
- The President's Fire Service Medal for Gallantry has been awarded to 3
- The Personnel and Fire Service Medal for Gallantry has been awarded to 1 personnel for their acts of valour and gallantry
9. 'A-HELP' Programme and Infertility Camp launched by Parshottam Rupala
- The Union Minister for Animal Husbandry and Dairying, Parshottam Rupala has unveiled the 'A-HELP' (Accredited Agent for Health and Extension of Livestock Production) along with an Infertility Camp in Gujarat.
- Gov is leading these initiatives as part of the Pashudhan Jagrati Abhiyaan under Inclusive Development.
- Objective: To mark a significant stride towards empowering women, enhancing livestock productivity, and advancing the socio-economic landscape of the region.
Banking & Finance
10. RBI to launch pilot project on Public Tech Platform
- The RBI has announced the launch of the Pilot Project for Public Tech Platform for Frictionless Credit by Reserve Bank Innovation Hub (RBIH), a wholly-owned subsidiary of the RBI in August 2023.
- Aim: To enable delivery of frictionless credit by facilitating a seamless flow of required digital information to lenders.
- Objectives: To encourages various stakeholders, including banks, non-banking financial companies, FinTech firms, and startups, and other financial services