Science & Technology
1. ESA successfully launches JUICE mission to study Jupiter’s Icy Moons
- The European Space Agency (ESA) launched its flagship JUICE (JUpiter ICy moons Explorer) mission on April 14, 2023.
- The mission was carried by an Ariane 5 rocket from Europe's Spaceport in Kourou, French Guiana.
- It will take an eight-year journey to reach Jupiter.
- Aim: To understand whether there are habitable environments among those icy moons and around a Jupiter
- It will make detailed observations of Jupiter and its three large moons: Ganymede, Callisto, and Europa
National & International Appointments
2. Sekhar Rao appointed as interim MD and CEO of Karnataka Bank
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has approved the appointment of Sekhar Rao as interim managing director (MD) and chief executive officer (CEO) of Karnataka Bank with effect from April 15, 2023.
- He has been appointed for a period of three months or till the appointment of regular MD and CEO whichever is earlier.
- He has replaced Mahabaleshwara M S, whose term ended on April 14, 2023.
- Prior to this role, he was serving as an executive director of the bank.
3. PM Modi launched railway projects, methanol plant in Assam
- PM Modi has launched a series of railway projects across the Northeast, a methanol plant, and laid the foundation stone for a bridge over the Brahmaputra river.
- He commissioned a methanol plant at Namrup in Dibrugarh by Assam Petrochemicals Ltd (APL) with 500 tonnes per day (TPD) capacity.
- He has also witnessed a mega-Bihu dance performance, which has made it to the Guinness World Records, at the Indira Gandhi Athletic Stadium, Assam.
4. NHAI signs MoU with Nagarjunasagar-Srisailam Tiger Reserve
- National Highway Authority of India (NHAI) has signed an MoU with the Nagarjunasagar-Srisailam Tiger Reserve, spread across Andhra Pradesh and Telangana.
- Reason: To facilitate a seamless and efficient entry process for vehicles entering into the forest area.
- It will provide FASTag based payment system at Forest entry points
- It will extend the benefit of a collection of Ecosystem Management Coordination fees through FASTag at various entrance points of the Tiger Reserve
5. India, Japan and France announce common platform for Sri Lanka creditors
- Japan, India, and France have announced a common platform for talks among bilateral creditors to coordinate the restructuring of Sri Lanka's debt.
- This move is expected to serve as a model for solving the debt woes.
- Sir Lanka has secured a 2.9 billion dollar programme from IMF to tackle its huge debt burden.
- But, the middle-income economy could not apply for relief under the G-20’s common framework for debt treatment, which targets only low-income countries.
6. AIFF announces minimum wage for women players
- The All India Football Federation (AIFF) has decided that the top eight participating teams in the Indian Women's League (IWL), have a minimum of 10 Indian players on a fully professional annual contract worth a minimum of Rs 3.2 lakhs.
- Aim: To revamp and restructure women's football in the country, in line with the Strategic Roadmap Vision 2047.
- The 2024-25 season will have 10 teams in the top division followed by two other divisions.
- AIFF President: Kalyan Chaubey
Honours & Awards
7. Kumar Mangalam Birla received AIMA's 'Business Leader of the Decade' award
- Chairman of Aditya Birla Group, Kumar Mangalam Birla has received the AIMA's Business Leader of the Decade Award 2023.
- Union Minister of Civil Aviation and Steel, Jyotiraditya M Scindia has presented the 13th AIMA Managing India Awards.
- AIMA JRD Tata Corporate Leadership: TV Narendran, CEO and MD of Tata Steel
- Transformational Business Leader: Sanjiv Bajaj, MD of Bajaj Finserv
- Outstanding Institution Builder: Venu Srinivasan, Chairman Emeritus, TVS Motor
Summits & Conferences
8. Army Commanders Conference to be organised in hybrid format
- Army Commanders’ Conference (ACC) is an apex-level biannual event, is scheduled from 17 to 21 April 2023.
- It is an institutional platform for conceptual-level deliberations, culminating in making important policy decisions for the Indian Army.
- For the first time, it is being conducted in Hybrid format exploiting available technology for secure communication.
- Army Commanders will meet virtually on the first day and then travel to Delhi for balance physical meetings.
Summits & Conferences
9. Global Conference on Compressed Biogas to be held in New Delhi
- IFGE- CBG Producers Forum will organize a two-day Global Conference on Compressed Biogas in New Delhi from 17 April 2023.
- Theme: Towards Progressive Policy Framework for a Robust CBG Foundation and Growth.
- Aim: To apprise the industry regarding the initiatives taken for the development of the compressed biogas industry and to identify the areas where policy modifications are required
- Union Minister for Petroleum, Hardeep Singh Puri will also attend the event.
10. Telangana CM KCR unveiled 125-ft-tall Ambedkar statue in Hyderabad
- Telangana Chief Minister K Chandrasekhar Rao has unveiled India's tallest statue of Ambedkar, a 125-ft tall bronze statue of BR Ambedkar in Hyderabad.
- Reason: To mark the 132nd birth anniversary of the architect of the Indian Constitution.
- It stands next to the State Secretariat on the banks of Hyderabad's famous Hussain Sagar Lake.
- It was built using 360 tonnes of stainless steel and 114 tonnes of bronze, at a cost of Rs 146.50 crore.
Commentswrite a comment