1. PM Modi inaugurates 141st session of International Olympic Committee
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate the 141st International Olympic Committee Session in Mumbai.
- India is hosting the International Olympic Committee session for the second time and after a gap of about 40 years.
- The IOC's 86th session was held in New Delhi in 1983.
- Important decisions regarding the future of the Olympic Games are made at the IOC Sessions.
2. Health Minister inaugurates Nagaland’s first Medical College in Kohima
- Union Health Minister Dr. Mansukh Mandaviya inaugurated Nagaland’s first Medical College - Nagaland Institute of Medical Sciences and Research ( NIMSR), at Phreibagei in Kohima.
- Nagaland’s first Medical College will not only serve the purpose of providing medical education but will also contribute to research and finding solutions to any rare diseases for the people of Nagaland.
3. Indian Army installs first ever mobile tower at Siachen Glacier
- The Indian Army has installed a mobile tower in collaboration with Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited for the first time at Siachen Glacier, the world's highest battlefield.
- The Base Transceiver Station (BTS) was established at the forward post of the highest battlefield on October 6 for the Army soldiers.
- The Siachen Glacier is a glacier located in the eastern Karakoram range in the Himalayas.
Banking & Finance
4. RBI Penalizes Paytm Payment Bank with Rs 5.39 crores for KYC Violations
- The Reserve Bank of India has imposed a monetary penalty of five crore and thirty-nine lakh rupees on Paytm Payments Bank Limited for violation of Know Your Customer (KYC) and a few other norms.
- RBI said, the bank had also violated certain provisions of ‘RBI Guidelines for Licensing of Payments Banks’, ‘Guidelines on reporting of unusual cyber security incidents’ and ‘Securing mobile banking applications including UPI ecosystem’.
Banking & Finance
5. RBI Cancels Registration Certificate Of Ind Bank Housing Ltd
- The Reserve Bank of India has canceled the Certificate of Registration of Chennai-based Ind Bank Housing Ltd.
- Indian Bank and HUDCO (Housing and Urban Development Corporation Ltd) are major shareholders in the housing finance company, holding 51 per cent and 25 per cent stake, respectively.
- The company was set up in 1991.
- The housing finance company’s net loss widened to ₹55.78 lakh in FY23 against ₹12.93 lakh in FY22.
Banking & Finance
6. ICICI Bank Introduces ‘iFinance,’ A One-Stop Solution
- ICICI Bank announced the launch of ‘iFinance’ to get a consolidated view of their savings and current accounts in one place.
- The ‘iFinance’ facility is available across our mobile banking and internet banking platforms which provide ease of access to account information to the customers.
- Objective: To enable our customers as well as customers of other banks to view their account data in one place and provide them better control over their finances.
National & International Appointments
7. South Indian Bank appoints VJ Kurian as its new chairman
- VJ Kurian has been appointed as the non-executive part-time chairman of the Thrissur-based South Indian Bank.
- Kurian will succeed Salim Gangadharan, who will be retiring as non-executive part-time chairman of the bank on November 1 after completion of his term.
- His leadership will be instrumental in shaping the future direction of the South Indian Bank.
- South Indian Bank Headquarters: Thrissur, Kerala;
- South Indian Bank Founded: 25 January 1929.
Honours & Awards
8. NTPC the only PSU in Forbes World's Best Employers 2023 list
- NTPC Ltd., India's largest power generation company, is thrilled to announce its significant achievement in securing a coveted spot on the prestigious Forbes "World’s Best Employers 2023" List.
- It secured an impressive 261st rank among the World's Top 700 Companies, making it the only Indian Public Sector Undertaking (PSU) to feature in this prestigious global ranking.
- NTPC's inclusion on this esteemed list underscores its progressive approach.
9. World Standards Day is observed on 14th October
- On October 14, people worldwide observe World Standards Day, also known as International Standards Day.
- The theme 2023 is “Shared Vision for a Better World: Incorporating Sustainable Development Goal for Good Health and Well-Being.”
- Aim: To educate consumers, policymakers, and businesses on the importance of standardization.
- It serves as an opportunity to raise awareness among nations and their citizens and encourages them towards a better quality of life.
10. International Day for Disaster Risk Reduction is observed on 13th October
- The International Day for Disaster Risk Reduction, held each year on 13 October, celebrates how people and communities around the world are reducing their exposure to natural hazards.
- In 2023, the International Day focuses on the reciprocal relationship between disasters and inequality
- The theme of International Day for Disaster Risk Reduction 2023 is “Fighting inequality for a resilient future”.