1. Mehuli Ghosh and Shahu Tushar Mane clinch second gold in ISSF World Cup
- The duo of Mehuli Ghosh and Shahu Tushar Mane bagged second gold medal for India in the 10m Air Rifle Mixed Team at the International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) World Cup stage in South Korea.
- Indian team defeated Eszter Meszaros and Istvan Pen from the Hungary by 17-13.
- Another Indian duo of Palak and Shiva Narwal bagged bronze in the 10m Air Pistol mixed event after defeating Kazakhstan’s Irina Loktionova and Valeriy Rakhimzhan.
- ISSF HQ: Munich, Germany
2. PM Modi participates in first-ever I2U2 Summit virtually
- PM Modi participates in the first-ever I2U2 (India-Israel-UAE-USA) Leaders’ Summit Virtually.
- The summit will be attended by his Israeli counterpart Yair Lapid; UAE President, Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, and the US President Joe Biden.
- The I2U2 Grouping was conceptualized during the meeting of the Foreign Ministers of the four countries held in 2021.
- Aim: To discuss the common areas of mutual interest, to strengthen the economic partnership in trade and investment.
National & International Organizations
3. WEF released the Global Gender Gap Index for 2022
- The World Economic Forum has released the Global Gender Gap Index for 2022 in which India ranked at 135 out of 146 countries.
- India was ranked 140 out of 156 countries in 2021.
- Top 10: Iceland, Finland, Norway, New Zealand, Sweden, Rwanda, Nicaragua, Namibia, Ireland, Germany.
- Worst performing: Afghanistan (146), Pakistan (145), Congo (144), Iran (143)
- India's neighbouring countries: Bangladesh (71), Nepal (96), Sri Lanka (110), Maldives (117) and Bhutan (126)
4. Former New Zealand cricket captain Barry Sinclair passes away
- Former New Zealand cricket captain and batter Barry Sinclair has passed away at the age of 85.
- He was the third batter from New Zealand after Bert Sutcliffe and John R Reid to score 1,000 runs in Test cricket.
- He had played 21 Tests for New Zealand between 1963 - 1968, scored 1148 runs, including three centuries against South Africa, Pakistan and England.
- Biography: In Pursuit of Excellence: The Barry Sinclair Story written by Bill Francis (Auckland broadcaster)
5. Delhi LG launches scheme to reward RWAs for property tax compliance
- LG of Delhi, VK Saxena has launched a SAH-BHAGITA scheme to increase the involvement of the Residential Welfare Association (RWAs) in optimal tax collection and waste management systems.
- RWAs will get 15% of the total collection of property tax for development works in their areas.
- On achieving 90% tax collection from their societies, the RWA can recommend development work to the tune of 10% of the tax collection subject to a ceiling of Rs 1 lakh in their areas.
Banking & Finance
6. RBL Bank and IMGC tie up for mortgage guarantee-backed home loans
- India Mortgage Guarantee Corporation (IMGC) has signed a strategic partnership with RBL Bank to offer mortgage guarantee-backed home loan products to salaried and non-salaried customers.
- This partnership will help RBL Bank to extend the mortgage guarantee-backed home loans to new borrower segments through the bank’s network.
- It also help to create a conducive lending environment by ensuring timely disbursal of housing credit and longer tenure to customers
7. Uttarakhand becomes first state to implement NEP at pre-primary level
- Uttarakhand has become the first state in the nation to initiate the process of implementing the Centre’s New Education Policy 2020 with the launch of ‘Bal Vatikas’ at anganwadi kendras.
- Chief Minister, Pushkar Singh Dhami has inaugurated Bal Vatikas across the state to strengthen the pre-primary education system.
- This will function at 4,457 anganwadi kendras in the state and will be equivalent to the nursery classes at a private school.
Banking & Finance
8. Star Health joins hands with MeitY to reach rural markets
- Star Health and Allied Insurance Co. Ltd. has partnered with the Common Services Centres (CSC), under the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology.
- Aim: To provide over 5 lakh CSCs access to a select range of Star Health insurance products and increase the health insurance penetration in rural India.
- The products have been designed to meet the needs of rural customers across the tier-II, tier-III cities, and rural markets pan India.
- MD Star Health: Anand Roy
Banking & Finance
9. Arohan Financial Services launches digital lending app
- NBFC-MFI Arohan Financial Services has launched a digital lending app named 'ApnaArohan' for its existing customers.
- This app will help its customers make repayments and other transactions through the digital mode.
- It reduces the physical interaction with the loan officers of the MFI.
- The AI-powered app will help to increase the outstanding portfolio from ₹4,500 crore (June 2022) to around ₹5,100 crore by the end FY23.
- Arohan MD: Manoj Kumar Nambiar
10. Nomura cuts 2023 GDP forecast for Indian to 4.7%
- Nomura has cut its 2023 forecast for economic growth in India to 4.7% from its earlier projection of 5.4% amid recession fears and rising interest rates.
- Reason: Higher inflation, monetary policy tightening, dormant private capex growth, the power crunch and the global growth slowdown.
- Retail inflation rate of India - the CPI has been recorded 7.01% as compare to 7.04% in May, the sixth consecutive month that the CPI inflation has remained above RBI set limit.
National & International Appointments
11. Madhulika Bhaskar gets additional charge as NIACL CMD for three months
- The New India Assurance Company Ltd (NIACL) has given additional charge as CMD to General Manager, Madhulika Bhaskar for a period of three months or till a regular appointment to the post is done, with immediate effect.
- She has replaced Atul Sahai, whose tenure had ended on February 28, 2022 following his superannuation.
- HQ: Mumbai
- Founders: Dorabji Tata
- Founded: 1919
- It was nationalised in 1973.
- It is under the ownership of Ministry of Finance
12. Noted social worker, Avdhash Kaushal passes away
- Noted social worker and Padma Shri awardee Avdhash Kaushal has passed away at 84.
- He founded the Rural Litigation and Entitlement Kendra (RLEK) for the development work among tribal hill communities in the areas of Jaunsar-Bawar (Dehradun district).
- He led various initiatives including protecting the fragile eco-system of Doon valley, abolition of the bonded labour system in Jaunsar-Bawar area of Dehradun and securing the rights of marginalised communities.
Books & Authors
13. Himachal Governor Rajendra Vishwanath unveils book titled The McMahon line
- Governor of Himachal Pradesh, Rajendra Vishwanath Arlekar has released a book titled, “The McMahon line: A century of discord”.
- This book is authored by former Governor of Arunachal Pradesh and former Chief of Army Staff General JJ Singh (Retd).
- The book is based on the experiences and research on the India-China border dispute.
- The book had laid emphasis on politics, history, structure and geography of the McMahon line.