National & International Appointments
1. UAE names ADNOC oil chief Sultan al-Jaber as President of COP28
- The president of the UAE’s national oil company Sultan al-Jaber was named as president of this year's COP28 climate talks.
- The chief executive of the ADNOC will be the first CEO to take the role at the UN summit.
- Jaber is also the Gulf state's special envoy for climate change and has taken part in more than 10 COP meetings.
- The Conference of Parties or COP is the world’s biggest climate conference.
Summits & Conferences
2. G20’s first Infrastructure Working Group meeting to be held in Pune
The first G20 Infrastructure Working Group meeting under G20 India Presidency will be held on 16-17 January in Pune.
The meeting will be hosted by the Department of Economic Affairs along with Australia and Brazil as the co-chairs.
The Group deliberates on various aspects of infrastructure investments, including developing infrastructure as an asset class
The outcomes of the Working Group feed into the G20 Finance Track priorities and promote infrastructure development.Read Full News >>
Banking & Finance
3. RBI imposes ₹30 lakh fine on Bahadur Chand Investments for non-compliance
The RBI imposed a monetary penalty of ₹30 lakh on Delhi-based Bahadur Chand Investments.
The penalty has been levied for non-compliance with certain provisions of the 'Core Investment Companies (Reserve Bank) Directions, 2016' and directions on 'Information Technology Framework for the NBFC Sector'.
This penalty has been imposed in the exercise of powers vested in RBI under the provisions of the Reserve Bank of India Act, 1934Read Full News >>
4. REC signs MoU with UP govt for multiple projects worth ₹98,853 cr
State-owned REC signed non-binding MoUs with the UP govt to extend financial assistance for various projects during UP Global Investors Summit, Delhi.
It will help UP in employment generation as well as exponential growth in the state.
REC, formerly Rural Electrification Corporation, is a subsidiary of Power Finance Corporation under the Union Power ministry.
The PSU provides loans to central or state sector power utilities in the country, state electricity boards etcRead Full News >>
5. PM Modi announces ‘Aarogya Maitri’ project
- PM Modi announced the “Aarogya Maitri” project during the Voice of Global South Summit
- Through this project, the country will provide essential medical supplies to any developing country affected by natural disasters or humanitarian crises.
- He also proposed setting up a ‘centre of excellence’ to facilitate development solutions to these countries
- Also, India will launch the Global South Science and Technology Initiative to share its expertise in space technology
6. ‘Soul of Steel’ challenge will be launched in India
- A ‘Soul of Steel’ challenge was launched in Uttarakhand which aims to test one’s high-altitude endurance.
- The general area of the expedition would be the Nanda Devi National Park.
- The challenge is an initiative of CLAW Global and is being supported by the Indian Army.
- The idea behind Soul of Steel is pooling of skill sets and creating a challenge that will unlock the human ability to survive, stabilise and thrive in high altitude areas.
7. Union Minister Bhupender Yadav inaugurates Regional Office of EPFO at Alwar
Union Minister for Labour and Employment, Forest, Environment and Climate Change, Bhupender Yadav inaugurated the Regional Office of EPFO at Alwar, Rajasthan.
The Regional Office will help more than 2 lakh workers, 12,000 establishments, and 8,500 pensioners from Alwar and the neighboring districts of Bharatpur and Dholpur.
The major industrial areas served by Regional Office are Bhiwadi, Khushkhera, Tapukara, Karoli, Neemrana, Behror, Gheelot, and Khairthal.Read Full News >>
8. Europe’s largest known deposit of rare earth elements found in Sweden
- Swedish state-owned mining company, LKAB, has discovered more than one million tonnes of rare earth oxides in the northern area of the country.
- This is the largest known deposit in Europe.
- Currently, no rare earths are mined in Europe and it mostly imports them from other regions.
- Almost 98 per cent of rare earths used by the European Union were sent by China.
- Rare earth elements or rare earth metals are a set of 17 chemical elements in the periodic table.
9. Piyush Goyal to launch MAARG portal for startup mentorship
- Commerce and industry minister Piyush Goyal will launch the MAARG platform (Mentorship, Advisory, Assistance, Resilience, and Growth)
- The portal will facilitate mentorship between startups and entrepreneurs across sectors, stages, and functions.
- Goyal will also announce the results of the National Startup Awards 2022.
- The winning startups will be given a cash prize of Rs 5 lakh
- One exceptional Incubator and one Accelerator each will also get a cash prize of Rs 15 lakh
10. 11-year-old Kashmiri girl bags gold medal at National Sqay Championship
- Falak Mumtaz an eleven-year-old Kashmiri girl from a far-flung area won a gold medal at the national level in the Sqay championship.
- Falak is one of them who won the gold medal in the Sqay championship that was played last week in Jammu.
- She is currently studying 6th standard at Aisha Ali Academy in Kulgam.
- Recently four girls were selected for the Sqay championship.
- Falak is the only girl who gave a tremendous performance to win the gold medal.