1. PM Modi inaugurates Pradhanmantri Sangrahalaya
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has inaugurated the Pradhanmantri Sangrahalaya on the occasion of Ambedkar Jayanti, at the repurposed Teen Murti Bhavan in Delhi.
- This museum has been dedicated to all Prime Ministers of the country.
- There are a total of 43 galleries in the Sangrahalaya.
- The logo of Pradhanmantri Sangrahalaya represents the hands of the citizens of India holding the Dharma Chakra symbolizing the nation and democracy.
2. National Agriculture Market (e-NAM) completes 6 years
- A pan-India online trading portal, National Agriculture Market (e-NAM) has completed six years on April 14, 2022.
- This flagship programme was launched by PM Modi in 2016 with an aim to join the physical wholesale markets and mandis of States/UTs to facilitate the electronic trading of agricultural goods.
- e-NAM is totally funded by the Central Government.
- Implemented by: Small Farmers Agribusiness Consortium
3. Rohit Sharma becomes second Indian player to score 10,000 runs in T20
- Mumbai Indians skipper, Rohit Sharma has become the second Indian after Virat Kohli and the seventh batter overall to score 10,000 runs in the T20 cricket.
- He achieved this milestone during the IPL 2022 match of Mumbai Indians against Punjab Kings in Pune.
- Chris Gayle with 14,562 runs has topped the list of run-getters followed by Pakistan's Shoaib Malik, West Indies Kieron Pollard, Australia's Aaron Finch, Virat Kohli, and Australia's David Warner.
4. Pragganandhaa wins Reykjavik Open chess tournament
- Young Indian Grandmaster, R Pragganandhaa has won the title of the prestigious Reykjavik Open chess tournament in Iceland with 7.5 points.
- The 16-year-old Pragganandhaa has defeated his opponent GM D Gukesh in the final round.
- He has created history when he defeated world No.1, Magnus Carlsen, in the eighth round of Airthings Masters an online tournament 2022.
- He has been awarded the prestigious title of Grand Master at just 12 years and 10 months of age in 2018.
5. The government exempts the import of cotton from customs duties
- Ministry of Finance has issued a notification regarding the exemption on the import of cotton from customs duties by the 30th of September 2022 to boost the textile industry.
- The waive-off will benefit the textile chains: yarn, fabric, garments, and made-ups; Textile exports and consumers will also get relief.
- Earlier, the customs duty was 10%, in which 5% on basic customs duty on cotton import and another 5% on Agriculture Infrastructure Development Cess (AIDC).
National & International Organizations
6. UNDP and AIM declared $2.2 million in climate action grants for innovators
- The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) in partnership with the Adaptation Innovation Marketplace (AIM) jointly announced the $2.2 million grant in climate action for 22 local innovators across 19 countries, including India.
- The first round of funding will be done by the Adaptation Fund Climate Innovation Accelerator (AFCIA) window.
- This helps to enhance the local climate action and spur the achievement of the Paris Agreement and Sustainable Development Goals.
7. Australia's Victoria to host the 2026 Commonwealth Games
- Victoria city will host the 2026 Commonwealth Games which will be held in Australia.
- The Games will be organised across multiple cities and regional hubs including Melbourne, Geelong, Bendigo, Ballarat, and Gippsland.
- The opening ceremony place: The Melbourne Cricket Ground (100,000-capacity)
- Australia has organised Commonwealth Games five times - Sydney(1938), Perth(1962), Brisbane(1982), and Gold Coast(2018).
National & International Organizations
8. WTO reduced the 2022 global trade growth forecast to 3%
- World Trade Organisation (WTO) cut the world merchandise trade volume expected growth by 3% in 2022 due to the ongoing war between Russia and Ukraine.
- WTO also forecasted that trade volume is expected to grow to 3.4% in 2023.
- World GDP at market exchange rates is expected to increase by 2.8% in 2022 after rising 5.7% in 2021.
- WTO Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland; Director-General: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala.
Honours & Awards
9. Falguni Nayar won EY Entrepreneur Of The Year Award 2021
- Founder & CEO of Nykaa, Falguni Nayar has won the EY Entrepreneur of the Year 2021 and will represent India at the EY World Entrepreneur of the Year Award (WEOY) on 9 June 2022 at Monaco.
- A.M. Naik from Larsen & Toubro has been honoured with the Lifetime Achievement Award.
- Start-up: Vidit Aatrey, Co-founder & CEO and Sanjeev Barnwal, Co-founder & CTO, Fashnear Technology (Meesho)
- Business Transformation: Abhay Soi, CMD of Max Healthcare
Honours & Awards
10. Prabhat Patnaik named for Malcolm Adiseshiah Award 2022
- Eminent Indian economist Prabhat Patnaik has been selected for the Malcom Adiseshiah Award 2022.
- The award is given by the Malcolm and Elizabeth Adiseshiah Trust to an outstanding social scientist.
- He taught at the Centre for Economic Studies and Planning in the School of Social Sciences at Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) in New Delhi and was serve as the Vice Chairman of the Kerala State Planning Board.
- The award includes a citation and prize money of ₹2 lakh.
National & International Appointments
11. Ex-IPS officer Lalpura re-appointed as NCM chief
- The central government has re-appointed the retired Punjab-cadre IPS officer Iqbal Singh Lalpura as the chairperson of the National Commission for Minorities.
- He was first appointed as chairman in September 2021 but resigned from the post in December to contest as the BJP candidate from the Ropar assembly constituency.
- He served as the senior superintendent of police of Amritsar Rural, Kapurthala, and Tarn Taran districts.
- NCM Headquarters: New Delhi
12. BPCL, Odisha govt sign MoU for developing renewable energy plant
- The Odisha Government has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited (BPCL) to take crucial steps toward the proliferation of green energy in the state.
- Tenure of MoU: 5 years
- Odisha is the single largest manufacturer of steel in the country and contributes 33% of steel manufacturing in India.
- BPCL also planning to invest Rs 25,000 crore to build a renewable energy capacity of 10 gigawatts by 2040.