1. Basketball Germany beat Serbia to win World Cup for first time
- Germany won their first-ever FIBA Basketball World Cup 2023 title by beating Serbia in Manila.
- The 19th edition of FIBA’s flagship event, co-hosted by the Philippines, Indonesia and Japan, on a high note.
- Serbia absorbed another heartbreak after losing to the United States 129-92 in the 2014 final, but finished better than their quarter-final exit in 2019.
- Earlier, Canada bagged their first World Cup 2022 podium finish at the expense of short-handed United States.
Banking & Finance
2. Thomas Cook India partners with National Payments Corporation of India
- Thomas Cook (India) Limited partnered with the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) to introduce a RuPay prepaid forex card tailored for Indian travelers going to the UAE.
- Aim: To ensure accessibility for customers, being India’s forex network with over 4000 touchpoints, including retail outlets, airport counters, online platforms, and mobile applications.
- The “Ghar pe Forex” commitment reportedly provides doorstep delivery within 2 hours.
National & International Appointments
3. AIBI appointed Mr. Mahavir Lunawat of Pantomath Capital as Chairman
- The Association of Investment Bankers of India (AIBI) appointed Mahavir Lunawat, Managing Director of Pantomath Capital Advisors Pvt Ltd. as its Chairman.
- The Chairperson of AIBI represents Investment Bankers on the Primary Market Advisory Committee (PMAC) of SEBI and has been active in representing the members’ views, and comments.
- He has led some of the key M&As, and corporate restructuring projects and has lead managed more than 100 IPOs.
4. India and Saudi Arabia sign Agreement on Cooperation in Energy Sector
- India and Saudi Arabia signed a historic comprehensive cooperation agreement in the field of energy.
- Aim: To enhance ties between India and Saudi Arabia in renewable energy, energy efficiency, hydrogen, electricity and grid interconnections, petroleum, natural gas, strategic petroleum reserves, and energy security.
- It also seeks to encourage bilateral investment in the fields of renewable energy, electricity, hydrogen and storage, and oil & gas.
5. NTPC Green Energy Limited to collaborate with Nayara Energy
- NTPC Green Energy Ltd (NGEL) will partner with Nayara Energy, an oil refining and marketing company, to produce green hydrogen for Nayara Energy’s captive usage.
- Aim: To collaborate and produce green hydrogen for Nayara Energy’s captive usage, accelerate decarbonization and catalyse reduction in carbon footprint.
- Objective: To explore and implement cutting-edge technologies to produce green hydrogen, contributing to a cleaner and more resilient energy landscape.
6. 3 member team to explore depths of the ocean in first manned ocean mission
- Minister of Earth Sciences Kiren Rijiju announced the Samudrayaan Mission( MATSYA 6000 ) India’s first manned mission to explore the deep ocean, where three people will be sent into the depth of 6,000 metre in a submersible.
- Aim: To sustainably use marine resources for the country’s economic growth and livelihood along with creating job and maintaining the health of the marine ecosystem
- It is designed to study the deep ocean resources and conduct biodiversity assessment
7. India, Bangladesh sign 3 MoUs after bilateral meet ahead of G20 summit
- India and Bangladesh signed three MoUs including one on cooperation in Digital Payment mechanisms.
- First MoU was signed between National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) and Bangladesh Bank on cooperation in Digital Payment mechanism
- Second MoU focused on the renewal of the Cultural Exchange Program for 2023-2025.
- The third MoU was signed between the Indian Council of Agricultural Research and the Bangladesh Agriculture Research Council.
Banking & Finance
8. AU Small Finance Bank partners Star Health and Bajaj Allianz
- AU Small Finance Bank has entered into bancassurance tie-ups with Star Health and Allied Insurance Company and Bajaj Allianz Life Insurance Company
- Aim: To enable the Bank's customers to access a wide range of insurance products from Star Health and Bajaj Allianz.
- AU Small Finance Bank has recently transitioned from a prominent, retail focused nonbanking finance company which primarily served low and middle-income individuals and businesses.
National & International Organizations
9. NVIDIA partners with Reliance to advance AI in India
- The famous US chip company NVIDIA declared AI partnerships with Reliance Industries to build cloud infrastructure, language models, and generative applications.
- Aim: To help NVIDIA deepen its inroads into the emerging AI ecosystem of the South Asian nation as it faces specific barriers in a few chip exports to China and other countries with US restrictions.
- Reliance will create AI applications and services for their 450 million Jio customers
10. Dennis Austin, Co-Creator Of PowerPoint, Dies At 76
- Dennis Austin, who co-created PowerPoint, passed away at the age of 76.
- He studied engineering at several universities, including MIT and UC Santa Barbara.
- He eventually joined the software company Forethought and co-developing PowerPoint.
- The company released the software in 1987, and Microsoft bought the company just a few months later.
- He served as PowerPoint’s primary developer from 1985 to 1996 when he retired.
11. Indian startup delegation in Dubai to strengthen collaboration with UAE
- The Consulate General of India in Dubai welcomed a delegation of 15 Indian startups in a bid to foster collaboration and innovation between Indian and UAE entrepreneurial ventures.
- Aim: To explore the vibrant startup ecosystems of Sharjah, Dubai, and Abu Dhabi, further strengthening the bonds between India and the UAE.
- These sessions will provide valuable insights into marketing opportunities, expansion strategies within the UAE, and networking opportunities.
12. Dhaka, Paris sign bilateral instruments on infrastructure, satellite system
- Dhaka and Paris signed two bilateral instruments to enhance cooperation in different fields including infrastructure and satellite.
- Agreement between economic relations division of Bangladesh and the France development agency, France on ‘improving urban governance and infrastructure programme
- LOI on cooperation between Bangladesh satellite company limited and airbus defence and space SAS, France related to Bangabandhu-2 earth observation satellite system
13. Virat Kohli becomes fastest ODI player to reach 13,000 runs
- Virat Kohli stunned fans after he broke Sachin Tendulkar’s record of the fastest batter to score 13000 runs in ODI.
- The 34-year-old record of fellow Indian veteran Sachin Tendulkar (321 innings), achieving in just 267 innings.
- With this century, Kohli has now scored four consecutive 100s at this stadium, the joint-most highest centuries at a single venue alongside South African
- He became the quickest batter to reach this mileston, Ponting and Sangakkara