1. Rohit Sharma Smashes India’s Fastest World Cup Century
- India captain Rohit Sharma slammed his 31st ODI century in the World Cup 2023.
- He completed his hundred off 63 balls, fetching him the record for the fastest century ever by an Indian in the history of World Cup surpassing the legendary Sachin Tendulkar for the most hundreds (7) in World Cup history.
- He completed 1000 runs in World Cup, becoming only the fourth Indian to the landmark
- He struck 3 sixes to become the leading six-hitter in international cricket
2. Northeast's first defence tech show begins in Guwahati
- The first-ever defence tech show in Northeast India, called 'East Tech', has begun in Guwahati.
- Aim: To expose manufacturers to the needs of the armed forces and enable direct procurement of their products
- The Indian Army and the Assam government organized the tech event, which also featured MSMEs, defence PSUs, and start-ups showcasing their goods
- Nearly 200 manufacturers have set up their booths at the two-day ‘East Tech’ event, launched by Lt Gen Rana Pratap Kalita
Banking & Finance
3. RBI Bank of Baroda to halt new customer onboarding on its mobile app
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has ordered Bank of Baroda (BoB) to suspend further customer onboarding on its ‘bob World’ mobile app with immediate effect, citing material supervisory concerns.
- Under section 35A, the RBI has power to give directions to banks ‘to prevent the affairs of any banking company being conducted in a manner detrimental to the interests of the depositors or in a manner prejudicial to the interests of the banking company’.
National & International Appointments
4. Navneet Munot Elected Chairman of the AMFI
- Navneet Munot, MD and CEO of HDFC Asset Management has been appointed as the Chairman of the Association of Mutual Funds in India (AMFI).
- He replaced A Balasubramanian.
- He is a Chartered Accountant and a CFA charter holder and has over three decades of experience in financial services
- AMFI was incorporated as a non-profit organization. As of now, all the 44 asset management companies that are registered with SEBI, are its members.
5. Dept Of Animal Husbandry And Dairying Launched ‘A-HELP’ Programme
- The Department of Animal Husbandry and Dairying, Government of India launched the ‘A-HELP’ (Accredited Agent for Health and Extension of Livestock Production) programme in the State of Jharkhand.
- Aim: To empower women by engaging them as Accredited Agent who contribute significantly to disease control, animal tagging, and livestock insurance.
- The new scheme would enhance access to veterinary services at the farmer's doorstep and empower Pashu Sakhis.
6. Petroleum Minister Inaugurates 26th Energy Technology Meet in New Delhi
- Hardeep Singh inaugurated the 26th Energy Technology Meet at Bharat Mandapam, New Delhi.
- Aim: To provide a common forum for refiners and technology service providers for the exposition of recent advances.
- He announced that India had exceeded its biofuel blending targets, which are an important component of the country's green energy policy.
- The aim of 20% biofuel blending, which was originally set for 2030, has been pushed back to 2025.
7. National Games 2023 To Be Held In Goa From Oct. 26 To Nov. 9
- The state's sports minister Govind Gaude confirmed that the 37th edition of the National Games 2023 will be held in Goa from October 26 to November 9.
- The National Games are India’s homespun Olympic-style multi-sport event where athletes from the various states and Union Territories compete for medals.
- This will be the first time Goa will host the National Games. Goa was awarded the hosting rights for the 36th edition, initially scheduled for 2016.
8. ndia, Italy sign defence agreement
- India and Italy signed an agreement on defence cooperation during defence minister Rajnath Singhs.
- Aim: To promote bilateral cooperation in areas such as security and defence policy, research and development, education in military field, maritime domain awareness, sharing of defence information
- The relationship between India and Italy was elevated to strategic partnership in March 2023 during the visit of Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni to India.
National & International Organizations
9. IOC and Reliance Foundation Join Forces to Promote Olympic Values
- The International Olympic Committee (IOC) with the Olympic Museum has aligned with Reliance Foundation
- Aim: To build on the success of the Olympic Values Education Programme (OVEP) in India and signed a new cooperation agreement.
- It underscores the organisations’ shared priority to promote Olympic values through sport among young people.
- Aim: To increase access to sport and bring the health and societal benefits of physical activity to communities across the globe.
10. Govt Introduces Shreshta Scheme For Quality Education Of SC Students
- The Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment has introduced the 'Scheme for Residential Education for Students in High Schools in Targeted Areas' (SHRESHTA).
- Aim: To extend the impact of government development programs and bridge service gaps in areas predominantly inhabited by SC communities within the education sector.
- The scheme's core strategy involves fostering collaboration between grant-in-aid institutions managed by NGOs and residential high schools