Honours & Awards
1. Ratan Tata conferred honorary D.Litt by HSNC University
- Governor Bhagat Singh Koshyari presented the Honorary Doctor of Literature on industrialist and philanthropist Ratan Tata at Raj Bhavan Mumbai.
- R Tata has been conferred honorary D.Litt. by Maharashtra's second state cluster university, HSNC University, as a mark of appreciation toward his unparalleled contribution for society.
- Mr Tata was the chairman of Tata Group, from 1990 to 2012 (interim chairman Oct 2016 -Feb 2017) and continues to head its charitable trusts.
2. World Day Against Child Labour: 12th June
- The United Nations observes the 12th of June every year as the ‘World Day Against Child Labour’ to bring attention to the evil practices of child labour across the world.
- International Labour Organization (ILO) launched this day in 2002 to tackle this global issue against child labour.
- Theme 2022: “Universal Social Protection to End Child Labour.”
Banking & Finance
3. RBI raises co-operative banks' housing loan limits by 100%
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has hiked the limit of individual housing loans extended by co-operative banks by over 100%.
- Accordingly, the limits for tier 1/tier 2 urban cooperative banks (UCBs) stood revised from ₹30 lakh/ ₹70 lakh to ₹60 lakh/ ₹140 lakh, respectively.
- As regards rural cooperative banks (RCBs), the limits have been increased from ₹20 lakh to ₹50 lakh for RCBs with assessed net worth less than ₹100 crore; and from ₹30 lakh to ₹75 lakh for the rest.
4. Tencent bought stake in Flipkart worth ₹2,060 crore
- Chinese tech giant Tencent had bought a stake worth $264 million (about Rs 2,060 crore) in Walmart-owned e-commerce firm Flipkart from its co-founder, Binny Bansal, through its European subsidiary.
- Binny Bansal now holds about 1.84 per cent in Flipkart after selling part of his stake to Tencent Cloud Europe BV.
- After this transaction, the Tencent arm holds 0.72 per stake in Flipkart, valued at around $264 million.
5. NCPCR celebrates Elimination of Child Labour Week in 75 places in-country
- National Commission for Protection of Child Rights( NCPCR) is celebrating Elimination of Child Labour Week in honour of World Day Against Child Labour in 75 places.
- Rescue operations in 75 places where children are involved in labour work, in the scrap and automobile markets across the country shall be conducted during this week.
- The NCPCR has developed a draft SOP on the rescue and post-rescue of child labour.
6. Shot putter Manpreet Kaur breaks National record
- Shot put athlete Manpreet Kaur broke the 18m barrier on her fourth attempt, setting a new National Record of 18.06m in the Inter-State Athletics Meet in Chennai.
- She held the previous record of 17.96m.
- Manpreet has previously threw the iron ball 18.86m at the Asian GP in 2017.
- Manpreet Kaur, who has recently returned after a 4-year doping ban.
7. India extends Sri Lanka $55 mn credit line for fertiliser imports
- The Indian government has decided to extend a Line of Credit (LOC) of USD 55 million to Sri Lanka for the procurement of Urea Fertiliser.
- This credit line was extended in response to an urgent request from the Government of Sri Lanka (GOSL), amid the ongoing economic crisis.
- This credit line will help Sri Lankan government secure urea fertilizer for the ongoing paddy sowing 'Yala' season.
8. Women’s Hostel funded by Indian govt inaugurated in Sylhet
- The High Commissioner of India to Bangladesh Vikram Doraiswami inaugurated a five-storied women’s hostel at Sylhet.
- Umesh Chandra-Nirmalabala Chhatrabas at Chalibandar in Sylhet has been constructed with the financial assistance of Bangladeshi Taka 4.35 crore from the government of India.
- The hostel can accommodate 160 women students.
- It will be run on a not-for-profit basis by the Umesh Chandra-Nirmalabala Chhatrabas Trust.
National & International Appointments
9. RBL Bank appoints R Subramaniakumar as new MD & CEO
- The RBI has approved R Subramaniakumar’s appointment as the MD & CEO of RBL Bank.
- Subramaniakumar is a former managing director and chief executive director of state-run Indian Overseas Bank.
- He was appointed the administrator of Dewan Housing Finance Co Ltd after the mortgage financier’s board was superseded.
- Subramaniakumar has been appointed at RBL for three years from the date of taking charge.
10. Ather Energy partners with SBI for vehicle financing
- Electric two-wheeler maker Ather Energy has partnered with the State Bank of India for vehicle financing for its customers.
- The collaboration will enable Ather Energy's customers, having pre-approved loan offers from SBI, to avail instant loans at low interest rates starting from 9.55 per cent per annum, depending on customer credit profile.
- The vehicle loans can be availed through SBI's mobile app YONO as well as offline.