1. India’s Arjun Babuta wins first gold medal at ISSF World Cup in South Korea
- Indian shooter, Arjun Babuta has won his first gold medal at the International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) World Cup stage at Changwon in South Korea.
- He defeated Lucas Kozeniesky (USA), who has won silver medal in Tokyo 2020.
- Sergey Richter from Israel has settled for bronze with a score of 259.9 and Paarth Makhija from India finished at fourth position.
- This was India’s first medal under new national foreign rifle coach Thomas Farnik.
National & International Organizations
2. India will surpass China as world’s most populous country during 2023: UN
- As per the 27th edition of the UN World Population Prospects 2022, India is projected to surpass China as the world’s most populous country in 2023.
- With the 1,426 million population, China remains the most populous country in the world in 2022.
- India has been recorded 1,412 million population.
- The global population will reach 8 billion on November, 2022 that is three times of the population of 2.5 billion in 1950.
- By 2050, India’s population will reach 1,668 million.
3. PM Modi unveils National Emblem cast on new Parliament Building
- PM Narendra Modi has unveiled the 6.5 metre-tall National Emblem on top of the new Parliament building (under-construction).
- The emblem made of bronze, weighs 9,500 kg.
- A supporting steel structure of 6,500 kg was made to support the emblem.
- The emblem was created by Sunil Deore (Aurangabad) and Laxman Vyas from (Jaipur).
- Bimal Patel of HCP Designs, Ahmedabad, is the architect in charge of the building (new Parliament).
- The building is being built by Tata Projects.
4. ‘Father of Indian Internet’BK Syngal passes away
- Former Chairman of Videsh Sanchar Nigam Ltd (VSNL), Brijendra K Syngal has passed away at 82.
- He has been acknowledged as the father of the Indian Internet.
- Syngal has written his memoir "Telecom Man: Leading From the Front in India's Digital Revolution".
- Under his leadership, on August 15, 1995, VSNL had formally launched the Internet for the Indian public.
- He also act as an advisor to many industries, government and media.
5. Defence Minister launches AI in Defence symposium & exhibition in New Delhi
- Defence Minister, Rajnath Singh has launched 75 defence products powered by artificial intelligence at the first-ever ‘AI in Defence’ symposium and exhibition.
- This exhibition was organised by the Ministry of Defence in New Delhi.
- Products include: AI Platform Automation; Autonomous/Unmanned/Robotics systems; Block Chain-based Automation; Command, Control, Computer & Intelligence and many more.
- These products will open up new business avenues for the Defence PSUs.
Honours & Awards
6. Vice Chairman of Sanmar Group received 'Order of the Rising Sun' award
- The government of Japan has conferred the 'Order of the Rising Sun, Gold and Silver Star' award to Narayanan Kumar, Sanmar Group Vice Chairman.
- He received this honour for his contribution towards strengthening economic relations between Japan and India.
- He was honoured by Taga Masayuki (Consul General of Japan) in Chennai.
- He also heads Indo-Japan Chamber of Commerce and Industry and served as the president of Confederation of Indian Industry (CII).
Banking & Finance
7. RBI sets up system to settle international trade payments in rupees
- RBI has announced a system for the domestic traders to settle imports and exports in rupees.
- This system will promote the global trade growth with an emphasis on exports from India and will support the increasing interest of the global trading community in the domestic currency.
- This decision was came after, the rupee touching record lows against the dollar.
- The Special Vostro Accounts can be used for payments for projects and investments.
Banking & Finance
8. Edelweiss Mutual Fund launches Focused Equity Fund
- Edelweiss Asset Management Ltd has launched a new fund offer (NFO) for Edelweiss Focused Equity Fund.
- This will invest in 25-30 stocks spread across three key investing opportunities of - (1) brands, (2) market share gainers, and (3) innovators.
- The fund will be managed by Trideep Bhattacharya and Abhishek Gupta.
- Any resident including NRIs, individual and non-individual can invest in the Edelweiss Focused Equity Fund.
- The minimum investment amount: ₹ 5000/-.
9. Tripura government launches "Earn with Learn" scheme
- The Tripura government has launched a new scheme named "Earn with Learn" to bring back those who had dropped out of schools following the outbreak of Covid-19.
- This scheme is a part of the Vidyalaya Chalo Abhiyan (Let's go to school).
- About 8,000 students between the age group of 6 to14 had dropped out of school during the pandemic.
- The state government will pay Rs 500 per admission to each college student as reward for bringing back such dropouts to school again.
10. India’s GM Gukesh wins Gijon Chess Masters
- D. Gukesh from India has won the Gijon Chess Masters with eight points out nine rounds.
- GM Alexandr Fier of Brazil has finished second with 6.5 points while International Master, Pedro Antonio Gines of Spain has finished third scoring six points.
- Gukesh took his FIDE rating to 2693. If he crosses the Elo rating of 2700, Gukesh could well become the sixth Indian to do so after Viswanathan Anand, Krishnan Sasikiran, P. Harikrishna, Vidit Gujarati and B. Adhiban.
Honours & Awards
11. India’s Pallavi Singh bags the Mrs Universe Divine Crown in South Korea
- Pallavi Singh from India has bagged the Mrs Universe Divine Title at the finals held at Yeosu City, South Korea.
- She hails from Kanpur, and was the only contestant from Asia in the Mrs Universe contest.
- Pallavi Singh has won the title of Mrs India held in Jaipur in 2020 and Mrs Indo-Asia Universe in the Asia-level competition.
- She was also awarded the women in Insurance award at the Indian Business Women Summit 2021.
12. Former Mexican President Luis Echeverria passes away
- Luis Echeverria Alvarez who served as president of Mexico from 1970 to 1976 has been died at the age of 100.
- He started his career as a lawyer and become a member of Mexico’s Institutional Revolutionary Party.
- He has also initiated the establishment of diplomatic relations with China in February 1972.
- He was also known for promoting the Charter of Economic Rights and Duties of States at the United Nations in 1972.
13. Ferrari's Charles Leclerc wins Austrian Grand Prix 2022
- Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc has clinched the title of FI Austrian Grand Prix 2022.
- Max Verstappen (Red Bull) and seven-time world champion, Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes) settled for second and third place respectively.
- The 2022 Austrian Grand Prix was a F1 motor race held on 10 July 2022 at the Red Bull Ring in Spielberg, Austria.
- Previous GP 2022:
- British GP: Carlos Sainz Jr. (Ferrari)
- Canadian GP: Max Verstappen (Red Bull)
- Azerbaijan GP: Max Verstappen (Red Bull)