Honours & Awards
1. Indore ranked first in Swachh Vayu Sarvekshan 2023
- Indore secured the first rank followed by Agra and Thane in the cleanest air in India according to the Swachh Vayu Sarvekshan 2023 (Clean Air Survey) report released in Bhopal by Union Environment Minister Bhupender Yadav.
- Bhopal stood fifth while Delhi took the ninth spot.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi had announced the intent and plan to improve the air quality in more than 100 cities through a holistic approach.
2. World Suicide Prevention Day is celebrated on 10th September
- World Suicide Prevention Day is observed on 10th September 2023
- The theme for the World Suicide Prevention Day from 2021-2023“ is Creating Hope Through Action
- This theme serves as a powerful call to action and a reminder that there is an alternative to suicide and that through our actions we can encourage hope and strengthen prevention.
- Suicide is a major public health problem with far-reaching social, emotional, and economic consequences.
Banking & Finance
3. HSBC India became the first foreign bank in India to launch 'ONDC in a Box'
- Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited became the first foreign bank in India to launch 'ONDC in a Box', a one-stop-shop proposition for corporates towards seamless enablement on ONDC.
- Aim: To foster an inclusive, competitive, and open network, amplifying its impact across the business spectrum.
- The ONDC is an initiative to build an open, interoperable network on which buyers and sellers can transact without needing to be present on the same platform.
Banking & Finance
4. AU small Finance launches Zenith metal credit card, shares up
- AU Small Finance Bank Ltd has introduced the Zenith and Super Premium Metal Credit Card, expanding its range of banking solutions.
- This credit card includes features like premium lounge access, personalized concierge services, and a welcome with Premium Brand vouchers or Reward Points worth Rs 5000.
- One of the card’s highlights is the Forex markup of 0.99 percent for international travel, making it advantageous for global transactions.
National & International Organizations
5. Google Cloud partners with MeitY to train government officials
- Google Cloud announced its partnership with the MeitY, computer emergency response unit CERT-In to train 1,000 government officials and provide 1 lakh cybersecurity certificate scholarships to learners.
- CERT-In is part of the MeitY which deals with cybersecurity threats, hacking and other cyber-related issues.
- The 'cyber force' of government officials will be trained in cyber defence best practices, including the use of generative AI.
6. Switzerland ranked No. 1 in the World Best Countries Report 2023
- Switzerland has once again claimed the title of the world's best country in 2023, according to the latest World Report's annual Best Countries rankings.
- This marks Switzerland's second consecutive year at the pinnacle and its sixth time overall as the No. 1 nation on the list.
- The rankings are Canada at No. 2, Sweden at No. 3, Australia at No. 4, the United States at No. 5, and India at No. 30
- The United States has slipped one spot compared to its 2022 ranking.
7. Transnational grid interconnections for "One Sun, One World, One Grid"
- At the 18th G20 Summit, a one-day conference themed "Transnational Grid Interconnections for One Sun, One World, One Grid (OSOWOG)" convened in New Delhi
- Aim: To enable nations to harness the abundant energy resources of the sun, particularly as the world transitions toward renewable energy sources.
- It makes round-the-clock renewable energy more cost-effective, reducing the need for energy reserves and ultimately lowering electricity costs for the populace
8. WTO to have a fully functional dispute settlement system by 2024
- The G20 leadership summit declared it will work towards having in place a fully functional dispute settlement system at WTO by 2024.
- There are two main ways to settle a dispute once a complaint has been filed in the WTO
- First: The countries find a mutually agreed solution, particularly during the phase of bilateral consultations
- Second: Through adjudication which includes ruling by a panel and if not satisfied, challenging that ruling at the appellate body.
9. ‘India-Middle East-Europe' economic corridor, a modern-day spice route
- PM Narendra Modi announced the project during the annual Group of 20 summit of the world's top economies to launch the India-Middle East-Europe economic corridor including shipping and railway links.
- Aim: To boost trade, transport energy resources and improve digital connectivity.
- The first-of-its-kind economic corridor will be an initiative on cooperation on connectivity and infrastructure involving India, UAE, Saudi Arabia, EU, France, Italy, Germany, and the US
Summits & Conferences
10. 'Bharat: Mother of Democracy' portal launched at G20 exhibition
- The culture ministry launched a portal for the mega exhibition—‘Bharat: The Mother of Democracy’—to be held at Bharat Mandapam for global leaders attending the conference.
- The portal is divided into five sections and 22 sub-sections starting from Sindhu-Saraswati Civilisation, Mahajanapada and Gantantra, Vijaynagar Empire, and Mughal emperor Akbar reign to Constitution of India and Elections in Modern India