1. Kenyan Kiptum breaks world record to win Chicago Marathon men’s title 2023
- Kenya's Kelvin Kiptum blazed his way to smash the world record by clocking a stunning 2:00:35 to win the Chicago Marathon 2023
- The timing by World Athletics wiped off 34 seconds from the previous world mark of 2:01:09 set by his fellow countryman Eliud Kipchoge.
- The Chicago course a World Athletics Platinum Label marathon produced fast times even in the women's field, with Dutch star Sifan Hassan winning the women's title at 2:13:44.
2. North America's first Gandhi Museum opens in Houston
- The first free-standing Gandhi Museum in North America, dedicated to the life and legacy of Mahatma Gandhi is open to the public in the US city of Houston ,Texas.
- Museum in the United States, dedicated to Gandhi, to preserve and promote his ever-lasting legacy of nonviolent conflict resolution.
- The outer walls of the semi-circle-shaped museum depict various peace activists including Mahatma Gandhi, Martin Luther King Jr., Nelson Mandela, Betty Williams, and more.
3. National Post Day is observed on 10th October 2023
- Indian Postal Day is celebrated on 10th October every year in India.
- It is an extended celebration of World Post Day, which is observed on 9th October every year.
- Aim: To remember the service of the India Post, which is the most widely functioning government postal service in the world.
- It is also celebrated to honor the pivotal role of the national postal service in our lives.
- India Post was first established in 1854 by Lord Dalhousie.
4. World Mental Health Day is observed on 10th October 2023
- World Mental Health Day is observed on October 10 every year.
- Aim: To create awareness about mental illness and to start a discussion on mental health issues like borderline personality disorder, depression, anxiety, etc.
- The theme for World Mental Health Day 2023 “Mental health is a universal human right" provides an opportunity for individuals and communities to come together to deal with mental health issues.
5. India, Tanzania sign MoUs in maritime sector, Navy to share shipping info
- India and Tanzania signed multiple MoUs ranging in various sectors including digital transformation, maritime sector and sports aiming to enhance cooperation between the two nations.
- The Six MoU was signed in the field of:
- Maritime Industry.
- Cultural Exchange.
- Setting up an Industrial Park in Tanzania.
- Sharing successful digital solutions implemented at population scale for digital transformation.
- sharing White Shipping Information.
6. Navy hosts Annual Joint HADR Exercise 'Chakravat' 2023
- The Annual Joint HADR Exercise (AJHE) is an outcome of Hon’ble PM’s directive promulgated during Combined Commanders’ Conference 2015.
- The exercise has been conducted by Indian Army, Indian Navy (IN) and Indian Air Force (IAF) in rotation since 2016.
- It is being hosted by the Indian Navy at Goa from 09 to 11 Oct 23.
- The 2023 edition would synergise efforts at the national level as well as witness participation from eight countries of the Indian Ocean Region.
7. Jitendra Singh addressed the 10th India-Sweden Innovation Day
- India and Sweden recently celebrated the ’10th India Sweden Innovation Day’ with a special focus on the theme “Accelerating Green Growth” on October 9, 2023.
- Aim: To effectively address pressing global challenges while remaining steadfast in the pursuit of immediate objectives on the path to achieving a net-zero future.
- The meeting was addressed by Union Minister of State Science Jitendra Singh called for strengthening India-Sweden collaboration.
8. Country’s Oldest Think Tank USI To Hold Indian Military Heritage Festival
- The country’s oldest think tank, the United Service Institution of India (USI), is organizing the first Indian Military Heritage Festival (IMHF) to address the gap in the “national discourse and cultural calendar.”
- Aim: To enhance our understanding of the country’s rich military heritage and traditions; contemporary security and strategy concerns; and the push to achieve self-reliance in military capability.
- It is scheduled to be held on October 21 and 22.
9. Swaminarayan Akshardham, largest Hindu temple outside India inaugurated
- The largest Hindu temple outside India, BAPS Swaminarayan Akshardham, has been inaugurated in New Jersey, the United States
- Swaminarayan Akshardham is spread over 185 acres.
- Mahant Swami Maharaj conducted the 'Pran Prathistha' ritual at the temple.
- Akshardham in New Jersey marks the third such cultural complex globally.
- The first Akshardham was created in Gandhinagar, the capital of Gujarat, India, in 1992, followed by Akshardham in New Delhi in 2005
Banking & Finance
10. RBI imposes monetary penalty on five co-operative banks
- The Reserve Bank has imposed monetary penalties on five co-operative banks for deficiencies in regulatory compliance.
- These co-operative banks are:
- SBPP Co-operative Bank
- Sahayadri Sahakari Bank
- Rahimatpur Sahakari Bank
- Gadhinglaj Urban Co-operative Bank
- Kalyan Janata Sahakari Bank
- The RBI imposed a monetary penalty of ₹13 lakh on SBPP Co-operative Bank Limited for non-compliance with directions issued by RBI on ‘Interest Rate on Deposits’.
11. IAF Chief unveils new Ensign as the force marks 91st anniversary
- Indian Air Force chief Air Chief Marshal V.R. Chaudhari unveiled the new Indian Air Force ensign on its 91st anniversary at Bamrauli Air Force Station in Prayagraj of UP.
- The new feature is the addition of the Air Force crest in the top right corner of the ensign, towards the fly side.
- The occasion was also the first Air Force Day Parade to be commanded by a woman officer, Gp Capt. Shaliza Dhami, who is also the first woman officer of the IAF to command a combat unit.