1. Bharath Subramaniyam becomes India’s 73rd Chess Grandmaster
- Fourteen-year-old Bharath Subramaniyam has become the 73rd Grandmaster of India.
- The Chennai-based teenager completed his final GM Norm and crossed the requisite 2500 rating at Vergani Cup Open in Italy.
- Subramaniyam finished seventh overall in the event held at Cattolica by scoring 6.5 points from nine rounds.
- To achieve the Grandmaster (GM) title, a player has to secure three GM norms and cross the live rating of 2,500 Elo points.
2. First-ever Startup India Innovation Week to be held from today
- DPIIT is organizing the first-ever Startup India Innovation Week from 10th to 16th January 2022.
- This virtual week-long innovation celebration aims to commemorate the 75th year of India’s independence ‘Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav’.
- This is designed to showcase the spread and depth of entrepreneurship across India.
- India is emerging as a global innovation hub, boasting the world’s third-largest startup ecosystem.
- DPIIT has recognised more than 61 thousand startups as on date.
3. PM Modi to inaugurate 25th National Youth Festival on Jan 12
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will be addressing and inaugurating the five-day National Youth Festival on Jan 12, 2022
- National Youth Festival will be held to celebrate the 159th birth anniversary of spiritual leader Swami Vivekananda.
- The five-day festival will be held in the Union Territory of Puducherry.
- The festival aims to ignite, unit, motivate and activate the youth of India towards nation building.
- CM of Puducherry: N. Rangaswamy
4. Rafael Nadal wins Melbourne Summer Set 1 ATP 250 tennis title
- 20-time Grand Slam champion Rafael Nadal won the Men’s Singles title in the Melbourne Summer Set ATP 250 event.
- He defeated Maxime Cressy of US in final.
- It was Nadal’s 89th tour-level crown.
- Nadal playing his first competitive tournament since Aug, was largely untroubled as he wrapped up the win in an hour 48 minutes.
- In women category, former world number one Simona Halep defeated Veronika Kudermetova at the Melbourne Summer Set 1 final to claim her 23rd career title.
5. India's first indigenous aircraft carrier begins another phase of sea trial
- India's 1st indigenous aircraft carrier (IAC) Vikrant began another set of sea trials.
- It is planned to be inducted in Aug 22.
- The 40,000-tonne aircraft carrier is the largest and most complex warship to be built in India
- It successfully completed a five-day maiden sea voyage in Aug and underwent 10-day sea trials in Oct 2021.
- IAC-1 will operate the MiG-29K, Kamov-31 helicopters; Advanced Light Helicopters and the soon-to-be-inducted MH-60R multirole helicopters.
6. December 26 to be observed as Veer Baal Diwas
- Center has announced that Dec 26 will be observed as 'Veer Baal Diwas' as a tribute to guru Gobind Singh's four sons who were executed by the Mughals.
- This was announced by PM Modi on the occasion of the 365th birth anniversary of the 10th Sikh guru.
- Veer Baal Diwas will be on the same day Sahibzada Zorawar Singh Ji and Sahibzada Fateh Singh Ji attained martyrdom after being sealed alive in a wall.
- Children’s Day in India is observed on November 14.
7. World Hindi Day 2022: 10th January
- World Hindi Day is celebrated every year on January 10 to mark the first World Hindi Conference that was held in 1975.
- It is celebrated across the world to promote the use of the Hindi language.
- The first World Hindi Conference was held in Nagpur on January 10 in 1975.
- 1st World Hindi Day was celebrated in the year 2006.
- The theme of this day is to make Hindi a part of public opinion, although it doesn’t necessarily mean that one has to leave their mother tongue.
8. Oscar-winning composer Marilyn Bergman passes away
- Oscar-winning lyricist and composer, Marilyn Bergman (93) passed away in Los Angeles.
- Bergman and her collaborator husband Alan, was nominated for 16 Academy Awards over the course of her career, winning three.
- The song “The Way We Were” from the Barbara Streisand movie of the same name was one of those Oscar wins, which also won two Grammys.
- The collaborating team of the Bergmans also won two other Oscars for their songs.
9. Canada win ATP Cup with 2-0 win in singles over Spain
- Felix Auger-Aliassime won the ATP Cup title for Canada with a victory over Roberto Bautista Agut to give his country an insurmountable 2-0 lead against Spain.
- Denis Shapovalov opened the match for Canada with a 6-4, 6-3 win over Pablo Carreno Busta.
- Auger-Aliassime and Shapovalov won a deciding doubles against Russia in the semifinals to knock out the defending champions.
- And with the title on the line, they played their best tennis to defeat 2-time finalists of Spain
10. Rohan Bopanna and Ramkumar Ramanathan win doubles title in Adelaide
- India's Rohan Bopanna and Ramkumar Ramanathan won the men's doubles title at the Adelaide International ATP 250 event.
- The unseeded pair beat top seeds Ivan Dodig and Marcelo Melo in the final to mark a victorious debut on the ATP Tour.
- This is Ramkumar's first ATP Tour title while Bopanna won his 20th.
- The Adelaide tournament is a warm-up for the Australian Open, the season's first Grand Slam.
Banking & Finance
11. RBL Bank collaborates with Google to advance next-gen customer experience
- RBL Bank and Google announced a strategic collaboration to fuel the Bank’s customer experience strategy.
- Through this the bank will expand its value proposition to serve its rapidly growing customer base through the digital platform, Abacus 2.0.
- It will enable better customer data management, and analytics, enabling effective cross-selling within the Bank’s large customer base.
- The Bank aims to provide a holistic one-stop solution to its existing and new customers.
12. Rajnath Singh flags-in India’s 1st Multidimensional Adventure Expedition
- Rajnath Singh flagged-in India’s 1st multi-dimensional Adventure Sports Expedition
- It was conducted by National Institute of Mountaineering and Allied Sports in France.
- The expedition was conducted in Nov 21.
- The team comprising 12 people - eight Army personnel and four youths of Arunachal Pradesh.
- The expedition team carried out over 250 Km of winter trekking in the Alps Mountain Ranges.
- The expedition was organised as part of Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav.