Key Features of Ocean Relief
The oceans, unlike the continents, merge so naturally into one another that it is hard to determine them.
- Geographers have divided the earth into five oceans: the Indian, the Pacific, the Atlantic, Southern, and the Arctic.
- The four large oceans contain various gulfs, seas, bays, and other inlets.
- A major part of the ocean floor is seen between 3-6 km below sea level.
- The ocean floors are rough, with the largest mountain ranges in the world, deepest canals, and the most extensive plains.
- Like the continents, these features are formed by the factors of depositional processes or tectonic and volcanic earthquakes.