What is Quantitative Aptitude for CAT?
QA is one of the most important sections of CAT, which tests candidates' knowledge of basic mathematics. The CAT QA questions asked are of the 10th standard and can be solved easily but still, it is tough for the candidates as they need to solve the questions accurately and quickly. CAT is such an important MBA Entrance Exam that consists of questions of a higher difficulty level involving intense brainstorming. The main purpose of Quantitative Aptitude for CAT is to test the candidate's speed and accuracy in solving the questions.
Note the table below to get an expected CAT Exam Pattern for the CAT Quantitative Aptitude section.
Total Number of Quantitative Aptitude for CAT Questions
22 (Expected): MCQ: 14, TITA: 8
+3 for the correct answer
-1 for incorrect answer
No -ve marking for TITA
Quantitative Aptitude for CAT Topics
Algebra, Geometry, Arithmetics. Mensuration, Modern Math, Probability etc.
Quantitative Aptitude for CAT: Important Topics
As seen in the past year's CAT Question Paper, some topics secure a high grade of importance in the CAT exam. If we talk about last year CAT exam, it has been seen that the majority of the questions were from Arithmetic and Algebra. So, for the upcoming CAT exam, the experts from BYJU'S Exam Prep have listed the expected topics for Quantitative Aptitude.
- Mensuration and Geometry
- Number System
- Modern Mathematics
CAT QA Syllabus
The Quantitative Aptitude for CAT syllabus is given in the table below. Candidates preparing for CAT can refer to the following Syllabus for CAT for their preparations. Note that there is no definite official syllabus, so we have curated a list of topics that are expected to be important for the Quantitative Aptitude for CAT in the following table:
Quantitative Aptitude for CAT Syllabus
Finding Units place and tens place of a number divisibility
HCF & LCM
Indices and Surds
Percentage and Average
Time and Work
Mixtures and Allegation
Ratio, Proportion and Variation
Profit, Loss and Discount
Pipe and Cistern
SI and CI
Time, Speed and Distance
Geometry and Mensuration
Lines and Angles
Functions and Groups
Maxima and Minima
Linear and Quadratic Equation
Inequalities and Modulus
Permutation and Combination
Quantitative Aptitude for CAT: Previous Year’s Analysis
Considering the previous year’s CAT exam in the wake of COVID-19, there were 66 questions in total, with 22 questions from Quantitative Aptitude for CAT. See Also: CAT Eligibility
Quant Topics and Chapters
Expected number of Questions
Time, Distance and Speed, Time and Work Pipes and Cisterns, Simple Interest and Compound Interest, Ratios, Proportions and Variations, Percentages and Averages, Profit and Loss, Discount, Mixtures and Allegations
13 to 15
Inequalities and Modulus, Functions and Groups, Linear and Quadratic Equations, Polynomials, Logarithms, Algebraic Identities, Maxima and Minima
6 to 8
Permutations and Combinations, Probability, Set Theory & Venn Diagram, Binomial Theorem, Arithmetic progression, Geometric progression, Harmonic progression
4 to 6
Circles, Triangles, Polygons, Coordinate geometry, Lines and Angles, Trigonometry, Cone, Cylinder, Sphere, Cube/Cuboid, Prism Pyramid
6 to 9
Best Book to Prepare for Quantitative Aptitude for CAT
Below is the list of CAT Books that you can follow to prepare CAT QA in the best way.
Quantitative Aptitude Books for CAT
NCERT Mathematics Books (Class 6 to 10)
How to Prepare for Quantitative Aptitude for the CAT
Quantitative Aptitude Quantum CAT
Quantitative Aptitude for Competitive Examinations
Quantitative Aptitude for CAT
How to Prepare for Quantitative Aptitude for CAT?
Note the section below to get the expert’s recommended tips to prepare for Quantitative Aptitude for CAT.
- Candidates must work on shortcut techniques for CAT QA to find ways of solving questions in a simplified yet rapid manner.
- Candidates need to clear their basic concepts of Quantitative Aptitude for CAT. Rather than solving complex questions, students should focus on solving simple examples as it would lead to the conceptual clarity of each topic mentioned in the syllabus.
- Candidates should learn tables to 30, squares up to 25, percentage equivalent of fractions to 20, and cubes up to 20 as it will save a lot of time-solving the questions.
- Quantitative Aptitude for CAT questions is a bit time-consuming and tricky. So first, solve the easy category questions. Here the accuracy depends on the amount of practice that is done before the exam.
- Start Attempting as many CAT Mock Tests as possible before the exam. It will help in improving time management skills as well as accuracy.
- Students should maintain Formula books so they can note down all the essential and direct formulas to use regularly.
- A weekly planner would help the candidates to prepare for Quantitative Aptitude for CAT. 3 hours per day should be devoted to the quant section.
- Solving mock tests and previous year's papers will guide the candidate by analyzing what they need to study according to the sample questions.
Tips to Solve CAT QA Questions
Candidates who wish to ace the Quantitative Aptitude for CAT, they must follow the tips given below, which our top expert faculty curate.
- Try to solve the Quantitative Aptitude for CAT Questions as quickly as you can.
- Do not get stuck in a question if you are not able to solve it; better to leave and move to the next question.
- Try to solve the easier questions first; this will boost your confidence level.
- Do not attempt all the questions of Quantitative Aptitude for CAT unless you are very sure about the answer you are marking. Since there is a negative marking, you might lose marks on marking the wrong option.
- Learn lots and lots of tricks to solve the questions in the QA section. This will help you save time.