It is quite common for candidates to be confused between the CAT score and CAT Percentile. Also, many aspirants look for CAT score calculator and CAT 2021 percentile calculator in order to get a rough idea of their score and percentile for CAT 2021.
Your search for “How to calculate percentile in CAT exam?” has finally come to an end as we are going to tell you about the CAT percentile required for IIMs. CAT 2021 will be held in 3 shifts in a day, thus it becomes necessary that the scores get scaled and normalized before calculating the CAT Percentile 2021. Let’s get a proper understanding of the steps involved in CAT 2021 Percentile calculation.
What is CAT 2021 Percentile?
CAT percentile is a measure used to indicate the value below which a certain percentage of scorers in a group fall. For example, the 99th percentile is the score below which 99% of the scorers shall be found.
CAT 2021 Percentile Calculator
Let us take a hypothetical example and illustrate to you how the CAT authorities calculate CAT Percentile 2021. Suppose that,
2,29,486 aspirants appeared for CAT 2021
Out of them, your rank is 2417, thus
Your CAT 2021 Percentile will be:
[ 1 - (2417 / 229486) ]*100 = 98.946 percentile
- The percentile is calculated till 3-decimal places and then rounded off to 2-decimal places. Thus, in the illustration above, it becomes 98.95 percentile
- This implies that 98.95% of candidates have scores less than you
CAT 2021 Score Calculation and Normalization
CAT 2021 Score calculation - CAT score calculation is a very simple method. The steps are given as follows:
- All the correct responses are counted and multiplied by 3
- All the incorrect responses (for MCQs only) are counted and multiplied by 1
- From the total of what a candidate has obtained, his/her total number of incorrect responses are deducted (as a result of negative marking)
- What we get as a resultant is the final raw CAT score obtained by a candidate appearing in a particular slot of exam
CAT 2021 Score Normalization - CAT scores are normalized for each section, overall and slot wise so that all the candidates are judged on a common scoring and given rank on that basis. Get more details on the CAT 2021 Normalization Process.
How to Calculate Percentile in CAT Exam 2021?
Given below are the steps and formulae used to calculate Percentile in CAT 2021 exam after the scores of appearing candidates have been normalized.
- Step 1 - Determining the number of candidates appearing for the CAT 2021 examination. Let this be denoted by ‘N’
- Step 2 - Assigning rank on the basis of the normalized scores so obtained by all appearing candidates. Let this be denoted by ‘R’
- Step 3 - Using the formula to determine the percentile of the appearing candidates:
P = CAT Percentile of the candidate
R = Rank assigned to the candidate after normalizing CAT scores
N = Total number of candidates appearing for the CAT 2021
- Step 4 - Rounding off the percentile (P) so obtained by the candidate to 2 decimal places
Difference Between CAT Score and CAT Percentile
CAT score is simply calculated by summing up the correct and incorrect responses given by any candidate. However, CAT percentile calculation is done after the normalization of scores obtained by any candidate who has appeared for the CAT 2021 exam.
For more details, check CAT Score Vs CAT Percentile
CAT Result 2021
CAT Result 2021 will be declared sometime in the month of January 2021. The CAT scores are declared after the final calculation of CAT Scores and CAT Percentile for 2021. For more details, you can visit this page.
- CAT Previous Year Papers
- Best Books to Prepare for CAT 2021
- CAT Preparation Tips 2021
- CAT Admit Card 2021
- CAT Analysis 2020
The most comprehensive exam prep app.
If you are aiming to crack CAT, join BYJU'S Exam Prep Online Classroom Program where you get :
- Live Courses by Top Faculty
- Daily Study Plan
- Comprehensive Study Material
- Latest Pattern Test Series
- Complete Doubt Resolution
- Regular Assessments with Report Card