Solid mechanics is an essential part of the branch of physical science that covers the motion and deformation of continuous solid media with applied external loadings such as displacements, forces, and accelerations that lead to inertial force in the bodies, electromagnetic forces, chemical interactions, thermal changes, and so on. Solid mechanics is an essential topic for important entrance exams like Engineering Exams.
This article covers information on the Solid Mechanics syllabus for GATE CE, Solid Mechanics for computer science and detailed Solid Mechanics GATE notes. There are also many Solid Mechanics MCQ PDF and Solid Mechanics online test available to study in-depth the subject of solid mechanics.
Important Solid Mechanics Topics for GATE CE
The subject of Solid Mechanics is a vast one. Here are the topics covered in Solid Mechanics that are important for GATE entrance exams.
- Equivalent force systems
- Free vibration of single degree of freedom systems
- Particle kinematics and dynamics
- Law of conservation of energy
- Stresses and strains
- Axial, shear, and bending moment diagrams
- Principal stresses and strains
- Generalised Hooke’s Law
- Free-body diagrams
- Castigliano’s Theorems
- Equilibrium equations
- Torsion in circular shafts
- Elastic constants
- Dynamics of rigid bodies under the planar motion
- Law of conservation of momentum
- Thermal stresses
- Theories of failure
- Mohr’s circle for plane stress and plane strain
- Axial, shear, and bending stresses
- Combined stresses
- Thin-walled pressure vessels
- Euler buckling
- Analysing determinate trusses and frames
Tips to Solve Solid Mechanics Questions for GATE
It is important to study each topic in-depth and then solve as many questions answered as possible topic wise so that the student gets complete knowledge about all topics.
- The best way to start preparing for the Solid Mechanics GATE questions is to list all the topics mentioned above and study them from the tough to the easiest.
- There are many Solid Mechanics notes for GATE pdf, and Solid Mechanics GATE questions and answers pdf available online to study each topic in depth.
- Keep a list handy of Solid Mechanics topics for GATE CE to check out done topics.
- It is an excellent idea to solve as many Solid Mechanics MCQ questions as possible.
Importance of Solid Mechanics in GATE
Solid Mechanics is an important subject in Mechanical and Civil Engineering courses. Naturally, it becomes vital to study Solid Mechanics in the GATE entrance exam too.
- This year the weightage of the Solid Mechanic in GATE is around 5. This indicates that the subject is an important one.
- With widespread construction and infrastructure development, solid mechanics is a basis for all the mega projects under construction and planned
- The concept of Solid Mechanics is vital to study other subjects like designing concrete structures designing steel structures, geotechnical engineering, and others.
- Principles of Solid Mechanics are vital in the design and analysis of machine components and structures.
Most recommended books for Solid Mechanics for GATE
The best Solid Mechanics book for GATE related studies are the ones which give you in-depth knowledge about the topics mentioned above. Some of these book names mentioned below -
Strength of Materials
Strength of Materials
Mechanics of Materials
Why prepare Solid Mechanics from BYJU'S Exam Prep?
BYJU'S Exam Prep is one of the best websites to find Solid Mechanics study material for GATE CE. All the details about Solid Mechanics notes for CE and Solid Mechanics quiz are easily accessible from BYJU'S Exam Prep. The teachers designed a specialized study plan to cover all topics of Solid Mechanics. All the study materials available are easy to understand and well presented for the students to plan and prepare a checklist to do it sequentially. There could be a question about the topics of Solid Mechanics in the general category too. Students can solve Solid Mechanics online quiz in the study material given by BYJU'S Exam Prep.
Q. Where can I find previous years solved exam papers?
There are many sources online where you can get solved question papers from previous years. The website of BYJU'S Exam Prep also has a lot of different quizzes and question and answer sets to solve.
Q. What is the best strategy to study for Solid Mechanics for GATE?
The student can attend classes with their regular college to prepare better for GATE as the subjects are the same as the college. It will be a good idea to prepare for both together.
Q. Is it possible to score good marks just by preparing some topics or chapters?
No, you must have a thorough knowledge of the whole subject, because the topics are interrelated. So to understand one concept, the student needs to know the other topics well from other chapters.
Q. Why is the variation of shear strain with radius linear?
This emanates from the fact that the cross-section rotates as a rigid body because of the axis symmetry condition of the cross-sectional geometry and the torque's anti-axis symmetry. Since the cross-section rotates as a rigid body, the amount of rotation is linear concerning the variation in radius.