The operating system is an interface that connects the end-user with computer hardware. Every computer has at least one operating system to run all the programs and applications. The operating system helps in communicating with the computer and gives ease of working. Some of the popular operating systems include Windows, Android, iOS, Chrome, Linux, macOS, etc. Some of the standard features of an operating system include:
- Supervising and protecting.
- Network security of the file system.
- Handling of I/O operations.
- Allocation of resources.
- Detecting and handling errors.
Anybody who wishes to be an IT officer in the banking sector has to appear for the operating system online test for bank exams. The IBPS SO IT officer exam, IBPS Clerk, SBI PO, Indian Bank, Bank PO and Insurance, and other Government papers consist of operating system topics for bank exams. In this article, we have compiled the operating system syllabus for bank exams that would help you while preparing for the exam.
Important Operating System Topics
- Types of Operating System
There are several types of operating systems that work on different hardware and are classified as:
- Single User Operating System: Only one user can use at a time. Example: Windows 9X and MS-DOS.
- Multi-User Operating System: Multiple users can access the computer concurrently. Example: Linux, Windows 2000/7, and Unix.
- Multitasking Operating System: Concurrently more than one process can be executed. Example: Linux, Windows 95, and Unix.
- Preemptive Multitasking Operating System: Through predefined criteria, the computer program can share underlying hardware resources and operating system. Example: OS/2 and Windows 95/NT.
- Cooperative Multitasking Operating System: Each program can control the CPU as long as it needs, in this operating system. Example: MS Window 3-x, Mac OS, etc.
- Real-Time Operating System: They quickly and predictably respond to the events in a predetermined time. Example: Lynx, OS, and HP-RT.
- Embedded Operating System: The operating system which is self-contained in the device and is resident in ROM. Example: Minix-3, Windows CE, etc.
- Batch Processing Operating System: Several jobs are executed together in this kind of operating system.
- Distributed Operating System: The data is stored in multiple locations and can be easily stored.
- Operating System Functions
The operating system has various functions that manage resources attached to a computer system.
- Process Management: This helps with activities of planning, process performance, and monitoring.
- Memory Management: It helps with the allocation and deallocation of main memory.
- File Management: It manages files on storage devices and transfers from one device to another.
- Input/ Output Management: It helps in assigning and coordinating different input and output devices with computers.
- Storage Management: It improves the performance of data resources in a computer.
Tips to Solve Operating System Questions
Our below-mentioned tips will help you in operating system questions:
- Candidates should have appropriate knowledge of the syllabus, and they must be thorough with every topic.
- The best way to learn is through referring to online resources and solving as many previous years’ question papers as they can.
- The short notes of every important topic can be beneficial for candidates. They are appropriate for last-minute revision.
- Practising more and more questions helps in tracking the time of solving problems. It also improves the accuracy of solutions.
Importance of Operating System in Competitive Banking & Government Exams
- The operating system gives basic knowledge of the design of computers and using the computer interface.
- With the explicit basic knowledge of the operating system, it is easy to use advanced versions.
- It is a scoring subject for candidates with proper brushing of topics.
- The questions asked are quite basic and are related to functional aspects of the computer.
Best Books for Operating System in Banking Exams
Candidates can prepare for the exam using online study materials. However, there are various books available in the market that would help in cracking the exam successfully. We recommend studying from:
Book Name & Author
Objective Computer Awareness by Arihant Experts
Computer Knowledge for SBI/IBPS Clerk/PO/RRB by Shikha Aggarwal
Computer Awareness by N. K. Gupta
Computer by Rani Ahilya
Objective Computer Knowledge & Literacy
Why Prepare Operating System from BYJU'S Exam Prep?
At BYJU'S Exam Prep, candidates can engage, learn, and be excited about different subjects. We make sure you get everything under one roof. The data we upload is curated after a lot of research, and all our learning modules are interactive and engaging. Moreover, visually rich content gives lifelong retention. Operating systems are an essential topic in computer awareness. It is a scoring subject in bank exams. Thus, we curate concepts that are tagged at a different level of learning. All our methods strengthen the learning experience for students.
- What kind of operating system is MS-DOS?
MS-DOS is a command-driven operating system.
- What is the primary function of the Windows operating system?
The primary function of an operating system is to make use of computers more comfortable.
- What does multi-processing mean?
Multi-processing means to have two or more central processing units in a single computer system.
- What is the main program of MS-DOS?
The main program of MS-DOS is to boot record.
- What are the most common types of the operating system?
The commonly used operating systems are Microsoft Windows, Linux, and macOS.