Input-Output questions form an essential section of many exams where the candidate can easily score. They usually carry around 5 marks or more. With practice and understanding of the concept, you can easily score in this section. They are easy questions in which a certain operation is performed in a set of inputs, and the candidate has to predict the output by identifying the operations.
Logical reasoning sections have these questions in exams for bank PO and clerk positions. Various other Government and competitive exams have these types of questions. You should excel in this topic if you want to score well in the prelims as well as mains. Here we will cover the important syllabus and tips to ace this portion.
Important Input-Output Logics
Type of Logic
Words in ascending order
A, B, C, D, E, F, G...
Numbers in ascending order
2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12...
Count of words in ascending order
I, Maths, study, English,...
Words in descending order
Z, X, W, S, P, K, H...
Numbers in descending order
30, 28, 26, 24, 22, 21...
Count of words in descending order
English, study, Maths, I,...
Sum of digits in ascending order
1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8 ...
Sum of digits in descending order
61, 51, 32, 21, 11, 10...
These include other functions like addition, subtraction, and multiplication with a fixed or changing number.
Interchanged numerals and words
In this type of question, the position of alphabets, digits, or words is changed in a fixed pattern which has to be identified.
Tips to Solve Input-Output Questions
- Go through the entire question and identify the input and the output results. Look at the first step and the last step keenly. Test it out from both directions that is, from left to right and vice versa.
- As you notice the repetition, you will observe a pattern. It is most important to identify the pattern.
- Check all the options given to you in the question bank and see which result fits the best to the given input as per an identified pattern.
- Input-Output questions are very easy to solve once you identify the pattern. When you are practising, look out for and get accustomed to as many patterns as you can.
- Solve previous years’ question papers to get an idea of the pattern and keep revising your concepts to polish your skills.
- You can also follow online resources and tutorials for extra tips and tactics.
Importance of Input-Output Section in Bank and Government Exams
- The Input-Output questions are given in all competitive exams, including bank exams and government exams.
- They test the logical reasoning aptitude of the candidate.
- Input-Output questions carry 5 or more marks in the questions which can be scored easily.
- Most candidates have a good chance to cover this section and practice can considerably increase your speed of solving.
Most Recommended Books for Input-Output
Below-mentioned are a few books that cover input-output topics for bank exams and input-output formula for bank exams in detail. Refer to them to get a better understanding of the topic.
Name of the Book
M. K. Pandey
Verbal and Non-Verbal Reasoning
Dr R. S. Agarwal
Reasoning Book for Competitive Examinations
A New Approach to Reasoning
B. S. Sijwali and S. Sijwali (Arihant)
Why Prepare Input-Output From BYJU'S Exam Prep?
BYJU'S Exam Prep is a rich online resource of multiple test series and courses, specifically for competitive exams. They have covered all the input-output syllabus for bank exams and input-output questions and answers for bank exams as well. They also provide input-output quizzes for bank exams, input-output notes for bank exams, and input-output tricks for bank exams to deal with the questions through various exercises and tutorials. They have a strong team of experts and teachers who work hard to cater to the needs of the candidates and reach out to them for any kind of problem or confusion. They are available 24 x 7 to provide you with resources. Their input-output online test for bank exams is very beneficial as a practise medium if the candidate wants to excel and score full marks in the exam.
- How difficult are input-output problems in bank exams?
Ans. Input-output questions are not meant to be difficult. Most bank exams ask basic questions
to test a basic level of reasoning and computation. Most of the questions are high-school level
questions, which can be answered easily.
- How to attempt input-output questions in competitive exams?
Ans. You must observe the pull question from various angles to identify. Sometimes the pattern
can be identified in a second, and sometimes it can take more time with the level of difficulty.
Look at all the options you have got and cross-check them to see what fits a set pattern.
- Are input-output questions worth spending time on?
Ans. Yes, input-output questions are very common in bank and other competitive exams.
They can be very scoring if you are good at it. They can easily secure at least 5% of your marks.
- What is the best book to tackle input-output questions?
Ans. Practice the previous years’ question banks to understand the pattern of these questions.
‘A Modern Approach to Verbal Reasoning’ by R. S. Agarwal is a great book to study the
- How do I increase my speed to solve input-output questions?
Ans. Practise can take you a long way in increasing your speed in solving input-output questions.