The present world is an era of information. Every data counts. Every piece of data is valuable. The accessibility to data is possible with the help of a computer. Gone are the times when offices were filled with junks of paper and hard materials. Now a workplace is an automated system run platform that ensures ease of access to data from anywhere at the snap of fingers.
In many competitive exams, the computer is a section. Awareness of certain computer programmings can be an added advantage in helping you fetch the job. But this being a very diverse topic, you might be a bit confused about which area to focus upon to crack the test. So we will be looking upon the fundamentals of computer knowledge required for passing a bank job. This topic is followed by different testing agencies for examinations like IBPS Clerk, PO, LIC AAO, RBI Grade A, B, IBPS RRB Clerk, NABARD Grade A & B, SBI Clerk, etc.
Computer Fundamentals Topics for Bank Exams
The most commonly appearing questions in any bank exams under the head computer are as follows:
Evolution of Computer
Our core area of discussion is computer Fundamentals/Terminology. The fundamental building blocks start with the history and development of computers. The world’s first computer was built in the year 1822 by a great mathematician, Charles Babbage. It was primarily used as a calculating device. With innovation budding up, there developed five generations of computers:
Huge in size
Incapable of multitasking
Used Binary language for data processing
Vacuum tubes were used as memory component
Programming words were used instead of binary language
Less power consuming
Devices were used for input/output processes
Multi-tasking was possible
Computer performance speed was increased
First Microprocessor invented by Intel in 1971
New versions of computers such as laptops, emerged
Overall speed and memory enhanced
Graphical user Interface developed
Artificial Intelligence is widely established on all devices
Easy to use
Types of Computers
- Super Computers-Used for computation of complex data in scientific works.
- Mainframe Computer-Used in organisations where a large number of people are connected to the main server database.
- Workstation- Single user system
- Microcomputer-Designed for personal use.
Other Basic Terminologies
- Bit-Smallest unit of information stored in the computer.
- Boot-The process of loading the computer when it is switched on.
- Database-A space for a large set of stored data.
- Hard Drive-A built-in device which reads and writes data to and from the computer.
- Hardware- Physically visible units of computers like CPU, Monitor, keyboard, etc.
- IP Address-Unique device address of each computer.
- Operating System-It is the software built in the computer that communicates with the hardware to effectively carry out different functions.
- RAM-Temporary storage that is used for a single time.
- ROM-Permanent mode of storage in computer memory.
- Software-The application or a program that allows the computer to perform specific tasks.
- Virus- A purposefully created computer program to hack or destroy data.
Data Storage Measurement
1 byte=8 bit
1 kilobyte=1024 byte
1 megabyte=1024 kilobyte
1 gigabyte=1024 megabyte
1 terabyte= 1024 gigabyte
1 petabyte= 1024 terabyte
Computer Fundamentals Tricks for Bank Exams
- Firstly get an overview of Computer Fundamentals syllabus for bank exams.
- With the help of notes, understand and learn basic concepts and revise them occasionally.
- Test your knowledge with frequent online mock tests.
- Identify your area of weakness and work on it.
- Look into previous five years’ question papers to understand patterns of questions asked.
Importance Of Computer Fundamentals in Bank Exams
- It is one of the essential skills set that a candidate is expected to posses if applying for a job that requires knowledge and usage of computers.
- It signifies the ability to perform the tasks effectively and efficiently.
- It shows how much you are up to date with the growing technical changes.
- Let you stand out from the crowd of other applicants if you can score well in basic computer fundamentals. Firms are in high demand for technically packed candidates which reduce their effort and cost.
Recommended Books for Computer Fundamentals
The below listed are some of the books which help you to access computer fundamentals notes for bank exams. Over the pages of these suggested reading, you can come across numerous computer fundamental quiz for bank exams.
- ‘Computer Awareness for General Competitive Exams’ by Soumya Ranjan Behera
- ‘Computer Awareness’ by N K Gupta
- ‘Computer Knowledge for Competitive Exams’ by Dr P.K.Pandey and Ms Shreya Pandey
- ‘Objective Computer Awareness’ by Arihant Experts
Sample Computer Fundamentals Question And Answers Bank Exam
Which of these was introduced in the third generation of computer:
- Vacuum Tubes
- Artificial Intelligence
- Integrated Circuit
Which out of the following is a permanent mode of memory storage?
Which among the following computers is used for the calculation of complex data?
- Mainframe Computer
What is the smallest unit of memory storage?
Why Prepare Computer Fundamentals with BYJU'S Exam Prep?
BYJU'S Exam Prep is an online exam preparation platform which helps you get ready for the competitive examination. We cover all examinations. Our resources like video tutorials, quiz sessions, previous year question papers and additional courses are an added advantage which comes in a single briefcase. Computer Fundamentals Online test for bank exams is available on our website. You can now study from the comfort of your home with BYJU'S Exam Prep. Invest your money and time efficiently with us. So what are you waiting for? Register with us today itself!
We have thus neared the end of the discussion on computer fundamentals. We hope this information was really useful for brushing up your knowledge from the context of preparation for competitive exams. A few Frequently Added Questions are mentioned below, which you can go through.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to prepare on the topic of computer fundamentals for the bank exam?
Firstly understand the syllabus and the topics covered. Cover up notes based on the syllabus and take time to do revision periodically.
What is computer awareness requisite for a bank job?
Proficiency in MS-Office tools is a minimum requisite. At the same time, possession of additional certificate courses in the field of computers can be an added advantage.
How can I excel in computer fundamentals?
By taking a mock test, you can identify where you went wrong and fix it.
What is the mark distribution for computer fundamentals in the IBPS exam?
Although you will not confront computer-based questions in the prelims, around 30-45 questions may be asked from this main exam topic.