You have completed the syllabus of the SSC JE exam for Strength of Materials. Now BYJU'S Exam Prep brings you the 100 most important questions of the Strength of Materials subject.
Here you will find the 100 most important questions for the Strength of Materials subject of the Mechanical Engineering syllabus. The top 5 questions are attached here rest questions you can find in the below pdf.
1. A closed coil helical spring is cut into three equal parts and the parts are then connected in
series. What is the resultant stiffness of the new configuration?
A. 6k B. k
C. 3k D. 9k
2. A prismatic member subjected to external loading was found to increase in length by 4mm
over a length of 1m and consequently, its diameter was found to change by 0.002mm. If
the initial diameter of the member was 5mm, then calculate the Poisson’s ratio of the
A. 0.30 B. 0.15
C. 0.23 D. 0.10
3. A cube of volume 27000cc is subjected to hydrostatic stress of 1400kg/cm2
. The bulk
modulus of the material is 2.5 ×106kg/cm2
. Calculate the volume change as a result of the
A. 9.45cc B. 15.12cc
C. 23.21cc D. 8.65cc
4. If the ratio of inner diameter (Di) to the outer diameter (Do) is 2/3, then the ratio of torque
carrying capacity of a solid shaft to that of a hollow shaft will be:
(Assume external diameter of both shafts to be equal and the shafts to be made of the
A. 65/81 B. 81/65
C. 16/81 D. 81/16
5. What is the hoop stress generated in a thin spherical shell of diameter 120mm and
thickness 5mm filled with oil at a pressure of 5MPa?
A. 10MPa B. 20MPa
C. 30MPa D. 40MPa
You can avail of BYJU’S Exam Prep Online classroom program for all AE & JE Exams:
You can avail of BYJU’S Exam Prep Test series specially designed for all AE & JE Exams:
Team BYJU’S Exam Prep
Download BYJU’S Exam Prep APP, for the best Exam Preparation, Free Mock tests, Live Classes.