National Safety Day - History, Significance, Theme
By : Neha Dhyani
Updated : Mar 4, 2022, 13:19
The National Safety Day marks its inception from1972, on the day when National Safety Council was founded in 1966. It is observed to celebrate the base of the National Safety Council every year on 4th March. The National Safety Council is a non-profit and self-financing organisation that operates at the national level and raises awareness regarding safety protocols to avoid any accidents and mishappenings. This includes road safety, human health safety, and environmental safety.
National Safety Day is declared a holiday and aims to throw light on safety measures that need to be followed to avoid accidents at the workplace.
Highlights of National Safety Day
- National Safety Day has been observed since 1972 every year on 4th March.
- On 4th March 1966, the Ministry of Labour and Employment set up this day to bring into practise and develop the habit of the voluntary regime on safety, health, and environment.
- This day signifies the protection of society as a whole.
- Every year there is a new theme for National Safety Day.
National Safety Day 2021
- The year 2021 marked the onset of the 50th national safety day 2021.
- The theme for national safety day 2021is ‘Sadak Suraksha,’ and hence it can be better called national road safety day 2021.
- The day was celebrated as a major national campaign across industries, NGOs, departments, and regulatory agencies.
- The primary objective of national safety day 2021is to protect and serve society and foster a preventive culture and scientific mindset among people.
- The National road safety day campaign started as a single-day celebration but got spread over a week, from 4th March to 10th.
National Safety Day Timelines
- 1966 - The government of India established the National Safety Council as a non-profit, self-financing body on 4th March 1966.
- 1972 - The National Safety Day was launched.
- 2000- The National Safety Council was registered as a Public Trust under the Bombay Public Trust Act of 1950.
- 2021- Several leaders and organizations take to Twitter to spread the message of safety on National Safety day through the Adopted Societies Registration Act
Celebrating National Safety Day
Several activities are undertaken to train and make people aware of celebrating National Safety Day. Some of them are:
- Seminars, programmes, and workshops are held.
- Special screening of films on safety is done in employee/ unit colonies.
- Special practical demonstrations are done to train people to use PPE, Fire fighting, rescue, etc.
- Emergency drills are organised.
FAQs on National Safety Day
Q1. What is the vision and mission of the National Safety Council?
Ans: The vision and mission of the National Safety Council of India are to successfully run Safety, Health, and Environment (SHE) campaigns in the country.
Q2. What is special about national safety day 2021?
Ans: The national safety day 2021marks the observance of the 50th National safety day.
Q3. How can I celebrate National Safety Day?
Ans: You can celebrate National Safety Day in India by pledging to take the N.S.C s Safety and Health guidelines to safely commit yourself to your work.