Bank holidays in Bihar 2023 consist of days of special importance. These days include all gazetted holidays, festivals, and other public occasions. Bihar has many significant Hindu as well as Buddhist locations, like the Bodhi Tree at Bodh Gaya. Many culturally important days are observed as bank holidays in Bihar.
Knowing the dates on which banks in Bihar will remain closed can be beneficial for anyone planning their bank visits. So, we have shared a list of bank holidays in Bihar 2023, along with details about some of the most important occasions observed in Bihar throughout the year.
Bank Holidays in Bihar 2023
Bihar is a place of many Hindu pilgrimage sites and many Hindu festivals are bank holidays in Bihar. Located in Eastern India, Bihar shares borders with Nepal and the Indian states of Uttar Pradesh, Jharkhand, and West Bengal. The River Ganges flows through the middle of Bihar. The state is home to diverse communities of people.
By knowing the details of the bank holidays in Bihar, you can get an idea of the culture of the state. All public and private banks also observe gazetted bank holidays in Bihar, like Republic Day, Independence Day, and Gandhi Jayanti.
List of Bank Holidays in Bihar 2023
The second and fourth Saturdays are bank holidays in Bihar, as per the guidelines of the Reserve Bank of India. Here is the list of the other bank holidays in Bihar 2023:
Date & Month
Bank Holidays in Bihar
Type of Holiday
Closing of Bank Accounts
Bakrid / Eid al Adha
Guru Nanak Jayanti
Bank Holidays in Bihar 2023 - Details
The Bihar bank holidays 2023 list that we have shared here will help you plan out your bank visits. To know more about some of the special occasions observed in Bihar, refer to the following information about the bank holidays in Bihar:
Bihar Day (March 22)
- Bihar Day marks the day Bihar was formed out of the Bengal Presidency in British India on 22 March 1912.
- However, this day was officially proclaimed as State Day in 2011.
- This day is also observed as a bank holiday in Bihar, and many functions are organized across the state.
- A dedicated festival called Bihar Utsav that lasts a fortnight is also organized on the occasion of State Day in Bihar.
Chhath Puja (November 17)
- Chhath Puja is a festival celebrated since ancient times.
- This day is one of the most important bank holidays in Bihar 2023 and is observed in the states of Bihar, West Bengal, Uttar Pradesh, and Jharkhand.
- Chhath Puja involves worshipping the sun god, Surya, and to express gratitude towards the god.
- The day of Chhath Puja is marked with prayers and fasting.
Vijaya Dashami (October 24)
- Also called Dussehra, Vijaya Dashami is a major bank holiday in Bihar.
- This festival is celebrated by the Hindu community across many parts of India.
- This day marks the defeat of Lord Rama, who finally killed the demon Ravana to save his wife, Sita, on this day.
Janmashtami (September 7)
- Janmashtami, also called Gokulashtami, celebrates the birthday of Lord Krishna.
- Devotees mark the occasion by fasting, participating in community prayers, visiting temples, and preparing special food.
- On this day, houses are decorated with flowers and lights, and the night is spent with devotees chanting, “Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare, Hare."
- This day is also observed as one of the Bihar bank holidays.
FAQs on Bank Holidays in Bihar
Q1. What are the bank holidays in Bihar 2023?
Bank Holidays in Bihar 2023 include days of religious, cultural, or regional importance. Some of the Bihar bank holidays in 2023 include Republic Day, Holi, Ram Navami, Bihar Day, Good Friday, Ambedkar Jayanti, Idul Fitr, Vesak, Muharram, Janmashtami, Vijaya Dashmi, Diwali, etc.
Q2. Is Chhath Puja a bank holiday in Bihar?
Yes, Chhath Puja will be observed as one of the bank holidays in Bihar 2023. Chhath is observed for four days in Bihar and other states such as Uttar Pradesh, Jharkhand, and West Bengal. It is one of the most important Bihar bank holidays and is celebrated with much enthusiasm in Bihar.
Q3. Which Saturday is a bank holiday in Bihar?
As dictated by the Reserve Bank of India, some Saturdays are observed as bank holidays in Bihar. The second and fourth Saturdays of each month are bank holidays in Bihar 2023. On months where there is a fifth Saturday, it is observed as a working day in all banks.
Q4. What are the gazetted bank holidays in Bihar 2023?
The gazetted bank holidays in Bihar 2023 are Republic Day (January 26), Independence Day (August 15), and Gandhi Jayanti (October 2). These days are directed by the Reserve Bank of India to be observed as fixed public holidays in all public and private banks in Bihar.
Q5. Why is March 22 a bank holiday in Bihar?
March 22 is observed as a special bank holiday in Bihar. It is because on this day, Bihar was announced as an independent state of India. Therefore, this day has been celebrated as Bihar State Day since 2011. All public and private sector banks remain closed on this Bihar bank holiday.
Q6. Where can I get the list of bank holidays in Bihar 2023?
Check out the list of bank holidays in Bihar 2023 here. We have shared the details of all public, regional and religious occasions observed as bank holidays in Bihar here. Browse through the list of Bihar bank holidays and plan out your days of bank visits throughout the day conveniently.