Bank holidays in Chandigarh 2023 include Guru Gobind Singh Jayanti, Republic Day, Holi, Ram Navami, Good Friday, and other days with regional or religious significance. Chandigarh is the capital city of two states, Punjab and Haryana. The city is named after Goddess Chandi, and days of religious importance are observed as bank holidays in Chandigarh.
Chandigarh is known for its brilliant architecture and also for its culture. The culturally significant days are observed as bank holidays in the state. We have shared a list of all the bank holidays in Chandigarh 2023 here.
Bank Holidays in Chandigarh 2023
There are many bank holidays in Chandigarh every month. Some of these are gazetted holidays, while others are just public occasions or festivals observed by different communities. There are also some fixed Chandigarh bank holidays mandated by the Reserve Bank of India for all public and private sector banks. These holidays include:
- Saturdays - The second and fourth Saturdays of every month are observed as bank holidays in Chandigarh.
- Gazetted holidays - These are special holidays observed by all institutions in India. These holidays include Republic Day, Independence Day, and Gandhi Jayanti.
- Every Sunday of every month is a bank holiday.
Bank Holiday in Chandigarh 2023 List
We have shared details about the bank holidays in Chandigarh 2023 here.
Date & Month
Chandigarh Bank Holidays
Type of Holiday
Guru Gobind Singh Jayanti
Closing of Bank Accounts
Martyrdom Day of Guru Arjun Dev
Bakrid / Eid al Adha
Maharishi Valmiki Jayanti
Guru Nanak Jayanti
Bank Holidays in Chandigarh 2023 - Details
This compilation of Chandigarh bank holidays can help you find out which days the banks will remain closed in Chandigarh. Find more details about some of the most significant bank holidays in Chandigarh here.
Guru Gobind Singh Jayanti (January 2)
- Guru Gobind Singh Jayanti is celebrated to mark the birthday of Guru Gobind Singh, the 10th Sikh Guru, and this year was his 355th birth anniversary.
- This is one of the most important bank holidays in Chandigarh.
- Guru Gobind Singh was a warrior, philosopher, poet, and spiritual master.
- Guru Gobind Singh Jayanti falls on a different day each year according to the Nanakshahi calendar of the Sikhs.
Maharishi Valmiki Jayanti (October 28)
- This Chandigarh bank holiday is held to mark the birthday of Maharishi Valmiki, the author of the Hindu epic, Ramayana.
- On this day, Hindu devotees take out processions called Shobha Yatras.
- People dress up as Hindu priests in saffron robes and walk through the streets chanting and singing.
- Temples are decorated with lights and flowers, and devotees distribute free food.
Guru Nanak Jayanti (November 27)
- Guru Nanak Jayanti is an important occasion for the Sikh community.
- This day is also called "Gurpurab" and marks the birthday of the first Sikh Guru, Guru Nanak Dev, the founder of the religion of Sikhism.
- Guru Nanak Jayanti is another one of the most important bank holidays in Chandigarh 2023.
FAQs on Bank Holidays in Chandigarh
Q1. How many bank holidays in Chandigarh are there in 2023?
There are many bank holidays in Chandigarh in 2023, including Guru Gobind Singh Jayanti, Republic Day, Holi, Ram Navami, Good Friday, Ambedkar Jayanti, Idul Fitr, Janmashtami, Vijaya Dashmi, Diwali, Independence Day, Gandhi Jayanti, Guru Nanak Jayanti, and Christmas Day.
Q2. Which is the biggest bank holiday in Chandigarh for Sikhs?
Guru Nanak Jayanti is one of the biggest bank holidays in Chandigarh for the Sikh community. This day is also known as "Gurpurab" and marks the birthday of the first Sikh Guru, Guru Nanak Dev. Guru Nanak Dev was the founder of the religion of Sikhism, and therefore, his birth anniversary is observed as a bank holiday in Chandigarh.
Q3. Is May 23 a bank holiday in Chandigarh in 2023?
May 23, 2023 will be observed as the Martyrdom Day of Guru Arjun Dev. Arjun Dev was the fifth of the ten Sikh Gurus. He was forced to convert to Islam during Jehangir’s rule but refused to be converted. As a result, he was tortured and executed. In his honor, his martyrdom day is observed by the Sikhs diligently.
Q4. How many gazetted bank holidays in Chandigarh are there?
There are three gazetted bank holidays in Chandigarh, including Republic Day (January 26), Independence Day (August 15), and Gandhi Jayanti (October 2). The Reserve Bank of India directs all public and private sector banks to observe these days as fixed bank holidays in Chandigarh.
Q5. Why is November 27 a bank holiday in Chandigarh 2023?
November 27, 2023, will be celebrated as Guru Nanak Jayanti this year. This day commemorates the birth of Guru Nanak Dev, a prominent Sikh guru. Therefore, all public and private banks in Chandigarh will remain closed on this day to celebrate this special occasion.
Q6. Is Saturday a bank holiday in Chandigarh?
Yes, some Saturdays are observed as bank holidays in Chandigarh. As per the guidelines set by the Reserve Bank of India, only the second and fourth Saturdays of the month are bank holidays in Chandigarh. All fifth Saturdays of the month (if any) are observed as working days.
Q7. Where can I find the list of 2023 bank holidays in Chandigarh?
Get the list of bank holidays in Chandigarh 2023 here. It will help you conveniently plan your bank visits throughout the different months of the year. Along with the list of bank holidays in Chandigarh, we have also shared details about some of the most significant occasions in the city.