Every year, World Civil Defence Day is celebrated on March 1. The day was brought into existence by the International Civil Defence Organisation or the ICDO in 1990. We observe this day to honour the people who work for civil defence and make sacrifices to protect their nation.
International Civil Defence Day is also celebrated as a remembrance of the establishment of the ICDO.
World Civil Defence Day History
World Civil Defence Day has a lot of historical significance. Some of these are as follows -
- The International Civil Defence Organisation (ICDO) declared March 1 as International Civil Defence Day in 2012. The organisation chose this date to celebrate the anniversary of the International Civil Defence Organisation's (ICDO) constitution coming into force
- The ICDO's Constitution was adopted on October 17, 1966, and went into effect on March 1, 1972. The ICDO is given credit for the status of intergovernmental organisations (United Nations, Treaty Series, volume 985, registration No. 14376)
World Civil Defence Day Objectives
World Civil Defence Day stands for two primary objectives -
- They make people realise the importance of Civil Protection
- Promoting awareness of readiness, preventive, and self-protection measures in the case of accidents or catastrophes have been brought to the attention of the world public
World Civil Defence Day Significance
- People observe International Civil Defence Day in order to increase public awareness of the need for civil defence in disaster recovery
- It is an important day because it improves citizen awareness of disaster preparedness, prevention, and self-defence.
- It also aims to raise awareness about how civil defence works, how crisis management is taken care of at a federal level, and how citizens can be prepared to tackle emergencies.
☛ Also Read: Weekly Current Affairs
World Civil Defence Day Theme
A different theme is designated for celebrating World Civil Defence Day every year:
- In the year 2021, the theme for the day was "Children's safety, our responsibility."
- This theme highlights how it is crucial for the civil defence systems in the country to take care of its citizens, especially children
- In recent years, child exploitation and child trafficking have seen an exponential rise, and it is the responsibility of the civil defence system to take care of these aspects
- The theme for 2022 was "Civil Defence and the first aider in every home."
- This theme highlights how the civil defence system of the country is the first resort for any problems that you might encounter and that need government intervention
World Civil Defence Day Symbol
The International Civil Defence Organization's (ICDO flag) signifies honour and prestige.
It serves as a reminder to members, observers, and associated entities, of the necessity of working to implement the Organization's decisions and the respect owed to the organisation and its statute.
World Civil Defence Day highlights the importance of civil defence. It also aims to prepare the population for self-defence if any emergency arises. It is an important day from an exam's perspective as it holds a lot of national and international importance.
FAQs on World Civil Defence Day
Q.1. When is World Civil Defence Day celebrated?
World Civil Defence Day is celebrated every year on March 1.
Q.2. When was World Civil Defence Day first celebrated?
World Civil Defence Day was first celebrated in the year 1990.
Q.3. Which organisation started the celebration of World Civil Defence Day?
The International Civil Defence Organisation started the celebration of World Civil Defence Day.
Q.4. What was the theme of World Civil Defence Day 2022?
The theme for World Civil Defence Day 2022 was "Civil Defence and the first aider in every home."
Q.5. What was the theme of World Civil Defence Day 2021?
The theme for World Civil Defence Day 2021 was "Children's safety, our responsibility."