Check out the list of bank holidays in Goa 2023 before planning your bank visits. Goa is a tiny state on India’s west coast. It was ruled by the Portuguese until 1961 but became the 25th state of India in 1987. Goa has a unique culture, and many of its culturally significant days are observed as bank holidays in Goa.
Goa is well-known for its beautiful churches and beaches. It is a major tourist destination in India, leaving everyone awe-struck with its stunning scenery and admirable culture. Learn about the special occasions observed as bank holidays in Goa here.
Bank Holidays in Goa 2023
Several public occasions will be observed as bank holidays in Goa 2023. Goa is the smallest state of India, located on the country's west coast. A number of festivals and celebrations occur in Goa on a regular basis. Some of these special occasions and festivals are observed as bank holidays in Goa.
Some of the days on which banks will remain closed in Goa include all gazetted holidays of India, festivals of all religions, and other public occasions. Get all the details about the bank holidays in Goa 2023 here.
Bank Holidays in Goa - Fixed Holidays
Some of the fixed bank holidays in Goa include certain weekdays of the month. Here, we have shared the details of the days on which all banks will remain closed in Goa:
- Second Saturday - The second Saturday of each month is to be observed as a bank holiday in Goa, as per the directions of the RBI.
- Fourth Saturday - The fourth Saturday of the month will also be observed as a bank holiday in the state.
List of Bank Holidays in Goa 2023
Figure out the days on which banks will remain closed in Goa in 2023 through this list. Check out the list of bank holidays in Goa 2023 here.
Date & Month
Bank Holidays in Goa 2023
Type of Holiday
Closing of Bank Accounts
Bakrid / Eid al Adha
Maharishi Valmiki Jayanti
Guru Nanak Jayanti
Feast of Saint Xavier
Goa Liberation Day
Bank Holidays in Goa 2023
Find out the details about some of the most interesting bank holidays in Goa through the information provided below.
Good Friday (April 7)
- Good Friday is a day of prayer and fasting.
- This is one of the most significant bank holidays in Goa 2023.
- It is the day that Jesus Christ was crucified on the cross.
- On this day, devotees participate in the enaction of the crucifixion of Lord Jesus.
- The churches across Goa hold services, and people throng to worship in great numbers.
Feast of St. Francis Xavier (December 3)
- The Feast of Francis Xavier is one of the major bank holidays in Goa.
- On this day, there are great celebrations at the Basilica of Bom Jesus in Goa, which holds the relics of St. Francis Xavier.
- Devotees celebrate this Goa bank holiday 2023 with great fervor.
- During the feast of St. Francis Xavier, decorations are put up throughout Goa, and the roads look festive.
Goa Liberation Day (December 19)
- Goa did not achieve independence on 15 August 1947. Instead, it continued to be ruled by the Portuguese until 1961, when it was finally liberated after an armed conflict.
- Liberation Day is one of the major bank holidays in Goa 2023.
- It is celebrated to mark the liberation of Goa, which occurred on 19 December 1961, when it joined the Indian Union, ending centuries of Portuguese rule.
- The people of Goa mark this day with great solemnity as they remember those who gave their lives to liberate Goa.
Christmas Day (December 25)
- Christmas needs no introduction to most of us. It is the day Jesus Christ was born.
- The celebrations for this bank holiday in Goa 2023 usually begin the night before Christmas, which we call Christmas Eve.
- On Christmas day, again, congregations gather in churches to celebrate the birth of Christ.
- The churches are gaily adorned with decorations and Christmas trees.
- On Christmas day, people share sumptuous meals, exchange gifts, and greet each other to behold the Glory of God.
FAQs on Bank Holidays in Goa
Q1. How many bank holidays in Goa are there in 2023?
There are many bank holidays in Goa in 2023, such as Republic Day, Holi, Ram Navami, Good Friday, Ambedkar Jayanti, Idul Fitr, Janmashtami, Vijaya Dashmi, Diwali, Feast of Saint Xavier, Independence Day, Gandhi Jayanti, Liberation Day, Guru Nanak Jayanti, and Christmas Day.
Q2. Which are the gazetted bank holidays in Goa?
The gazetted bank holidays in Goa include Republic Day (26 January 2023), Independence Day (15 August 2023), and Mahatma Gandhi Jayanti (2 October 2023). All three of these days are observed as bank holidays in Goa by all private and public sector banks.
Q3. What are the regional bank holidays in Goa?
Goa is one of those Indian states with a large number of Christian population. Some of the regional bank holidays in Goa include Good Friday, Easter, Feast of Saint Xavier, and Christmas. Another regional bank holiday in Goa is State Liberation Day, which is observed on December 19 every year.
Q4. Why is December 3 a bank holiday in Goa?
On December 3, the feast of Saint Xavier is celebrated in Goa, and therefore, this day is observed as a bank holiday in Goa. The main celebrations are held at the Basilica of Bom Jesus in Goa, and the streets and houses are decorated with lights and fresh flowers on this day.
Q5. Is December 19 a bank holiday in Goa?
Yes, December 19 is one of the bank holidays in Goa. This day commemorates the liberation of the state from Portuguese rule. Liberation Day is marked by holding processions and events in which people remember those who lost their lives in the liberation of the state.