How Cyclone Gulab was Named, Its Effect

By : Neha Dhyani

Updated : Feb 28, 2022, 12:57

A cyclonic storm named 'Gulab' made landfall in Odisha in September 2021. Cyclone Gulab initially formed a deep depression over the Bay of Bengal that eventually strengthened into a cyclone, prompting the weather service to issue an 'orange' advisory for the beaches of north Andhra Pradesh and south Odisha. The Cyclone Gulab continued westwards and approached the north Andhra Pradesh-South Odisha beaches between Kalingapatnam and Gopalpur on 26th September 2021, with wind speeds ranging from 75 to 85 km per hour with gusts up to 95 km per hour.

This tropical storm came just four months after Yaas devastated Odisha. In May 2021, the Arabian sea coastline was struck by Cyclone Tauktae which was named after Myanmar and the Bay of Bengal coasts were struck by cyclone Yaas which was named after Oman.

Occurrence of Cyclones in India

India experiences the cyclone season twice a year, from March to May and October to December. Cyclones do, on rare occasions, strike between June and September.

Tropical Cyclone Gulab became the third cyclone of the twenty-first century to make landfall over the east coast in September 2021, following Tropical Cyclone Daye in 2018 and Tropical Cyclone Pyarr in 2005.

Tropical cyclones commonly form in the North Indian Ocean region (the Bay of Bengal and the Arabian Sea) during the pre-monsoon (April to June) and post-monsoon (October to December). Cyclones of extreme intensity have been known to hit the Indian shores around May-June and October-November.

Classification of Cyclones

According to the IMD, cyclones are classified by the maximum sustained surface wind speed (MSW) they produce. They are divided into four categories:

  • Severe (MSW 48-63 knots)
  • Very severe (MSW 64-89 knots)
  • Extremely severe (MSW 90-119 knots)
  • Super cyclonic storm (MSW 90-119 knots) (MSW of 120 knots or more)

One knot is 1.8 kilometres per hour (kilometres per hour).

Cyclone Gulab was a severe cyclone with a maximum speed of 95 kilometres per hour.

Effects of Cyclone Gulab

Cyclone Gulab mainly affected the states of Odisha and Andhra Pradesh and caused about 70% losses in agriculture, and the remaining 30% damage to buildings, residential, commercial, and industrial areas. The cyclone was known to have possibly caused damage worth Rs. 2000 crores, which were majorly borne by farmers in the region.

Cyclone Gulab caused havoc when it made landfall in Andhra Pradesh and eventually moved into the Arabian Sea, intensifying over Maharashtra. These areas faced winds, floods, and destruction in many forms.

More Current Affair Topics
Problems of Indian AgricultureSmallest River in India
State AnimalsState Birds
World Asthma DayWorld Bamboo Day
World Day of Social JusticeWorld Homeopathy Day
World Kidney DayWorld Leprosy Day

FAQs on Cyclone Gulab

Q.1) Which country gave Cyclone Gulab its name?

Pakistan gave the Cyclone Gulab its name.

Q.2) How do cyclones get their names?

Countries in every region are required to name cyclones according to WMO (World Meteorological Organization) rules. The Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) is responsible for naming tropical cyclones.

Q.3) Who will give the next cyclone its name? What will the name be?

Qatar proposed the name 'Shaheen' for the next cyclone.

Q.4) Which nations are members of the Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) and have the ability to name cyclones?

13 Nations are associated with the Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) - India, Maldives, Bangladesh, Saudi Arabia, Sri Lanka, the United Arab Emirates, Oman, Thailand, Qatar, Myanmar, Pakistan, Iran, and Yemen.