Bank Holidays in Orissa 2023 include religious holidays such as Diwali, Holi, and Eid, and public holidays such as Republic Day, Gandhi Jayanti, etc. Orissa (also called "Odisha") is a state in eastern India known for its tribal cultures and old Hindu temples. Hundreds of temples can be found in Bhubaneswar, the capital, including the beautifully carved Mukteshvara.
Some days of cultural and regional significance are observed as bank holidays in Orissa. On those days, all public and private banks of the state remain closed. We have shared the list of bank holidays in Orissa 2023, along with details about them here.
List of Bank Holidays in Orissa 2023
Here, we have shared the complete list of bank holidays in Orissa:
Date & Day
Bank Holidays in Orissa 2023
23 January 2023, Monday
Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose Jayanti
26 January 2023, Thursday
18 February 2023, Saturday
8 March 2023, Wednesday
30 March 2023, Thursday
1 April 2023, Saturday
Yearly Closing of Bank Accounts
1 April 2023, Saturday
4 April 2023, Tuesday
7 April 2023, Friday
14 April 2023, Friday
14 April 2023, Friday
Maha Vishuba Sankranti
22 April 2023, Saturday
24 April 2023, Monday
Panchayati Raj Diwas
5 May 2023, Friday
14 June 2023, Wednesday
15 June 2023, Thursday
20 June 2023, Tuesday
29 June 2023, Thursday
Bakr-Eid/ Eid al Adha
29 July 2023, Saturday
15 August 2023, Tuesday
30 August, 2023, Wednesday
7 September 2023, Thursday
20 September, 2023, Wednesday
28 September 2023, Thursday
2 October 2023, Monday
Mahatma Gandhi Jayanti
24 October 2023, Tuesday
12 November 2023, Sunday
27 November 2023, Monday
Guru Nanak Jayanti
25 December 2023, Monday
Bank Holidays in Orissa 2023 - Details
Knowing more about the bank holidays in Orissa to get an idea about the culture of the state is a good idea. We have shared the details of some of the most significant regional bank holidays in Orissa 2023 here:
Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose Jayanti (23 January)
- Every year on 23 January, there is a regional bank holiday in Orissa.
- This day honours the birth of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose, a key figure in India's independence war.
- On this day, people pay tribute to the freedom fighter by remembering him and his achievements.
Panchayati Raj Diwas (24 April)
- On 24 April, the Indian state of Orissa observes Panchayati Raj Diwas, a regional bank holiday in Orissa.
- This day celebrates the Amendment in Constitution made to the Panchayati system in 1992.
- This day is about acknowledging the significance of the Panchayati system in our country.
Orissa Day (1 April)
- On 1 April, Orissa Day is observed as a regional bank holiday in the state.
- This day, also known as Utkal Divas or Utkala Dibasa, marks the state's establishment as a distinct province in 1936.
- This is an extremely important day for the people of Orissa, who celebrate it as a public holiday.
Pahili Raja (14 June)
- Pahili Raja is an official regional Orissa bank holiday.
- Pahili Raja is observed on the first day of the Hindu calendar month of Asadha.
- This occasion celebrates womanhood and menstruation.
Raja Sankranti (15 June)
- Raja Sankranti is one of the most important bank holidays in Orissa.
- It is celebrated on the second day of the Hindu calendar month of Asadha.
- This is an extension of Pahili Raja and is a three-day festival.
Rath Yatra (20 June)
- Ratha Yatra is a Hindu ceremony honouring Lord Jagannath that takes place in Shri Kshetra Puri Dham in Odisha.
- A regional bank holiday in Orissa is announced on this day.
- Rath Yatra is one of the most significant bank holidays in the state of Orissa.
Jhulan Purnima (30 August)
- Jhulan Purnima is one of the important bank holidays in Orissa 2023.
- It occurs on the Purnima (full moon) of the Shravan month, which falls in July or August on the Gregorian calendar.
- This festival is also known as Raksha Bandhan in other parts of the country.
Nuakhai (20 September)
- Nuakhai is an agricultural festival and is celebrated on the day after Ganesh Chaturthi.
- This day is observed as a regional bank holiday in Orissa 2023.
- This is another important regional festival in the state of Orissa.
FAQs on Bank Holidays in Orissa
Q1. What are the bank holidays in Orissa in 2023?
Bank Holidays in Orissa 2023 include Republic Day, Holi, Ram Navami, Good Friday, Ambedkar Jayanti, Idul Fitr, Janmashtami, Panchayati Raj Diwas, Orissa Day, Vijaya Dashmi, Diwali, Pahili Raja, Rath Yatra, Raja Sankranti, Guru Nanak Jayanti, Independence Day, Christmas, etc.
Q2. How many fixed bank holidays are there in Orissa?
There are three fixed bank holidays in Orissa. These bank holidays include Republic Day (26 January), Independence Day (15 August), and Gandhi Jayanti (2 October). These holidays are fixed by the Reserve Bank of India and are observed by all the private and public banks in India.
Q3. Why is Saturday a bank holiday in Orissa?
Some Saturdays of the month are observed as bank holidays in Orissa. According to the guidelines set by the Reserve Bank of India, the following Saturdays are bank holidays in Orissa in 2023:
- Every second Saturday of the month.
- Every fourth Saturday of the month.
Q4. Why is 20 June a bank holiday in Orissa?
In Orissa, 20 June will be observed as a bank holiday. This is because 20 June is the day of Rath Yatra in Orissa. This will be one of the most important bank holidays in Orissa. On Rath Yatra, a Hindu ceremony honouring Lord Jagannath takes place in Shri Kshetra Puri Dham.
Q5. Where can I get the list of bank holidays in Orissa?
Check out the list of bank holidays in Orissa here. You can find out the dates on which the public and private banks in Orissa will remain closed in 2023 in the list shared here. Moreover, we have also shared additional information about the bank holidays in Orissa here.