What is Adjournment Sine Die Meaning?
Adjournment sine die means releasing a Parliament sitting for an unidentified period. Adjournment Sine Die is understood when the Parliament House is discontinued without selecting a day for reuniting or reassembly.
The House's presiding officer has the power to declare a meeting as Adjournment and Adjournment Sine Die. The officer can call a House sitting at any time, even before the time or date of its discontinuation. He can also summon the sitting any moment after the Parliament House has been adjourned sine die.
Application of Adjournment Sine Die
There should be serious reasons to call Adjournment Sine Die by the assigned authorities. The following reasons can be the reason for such an adjournment:
- Suppose the cases or the court proceedings are not feasible in the future. (Example, if the defendant cannot participate in future legal proceedings because he is in jail.)
- In case the wrong procedure is followed.
Example of Sine Die Adjournment
In the Winter Session 2021, a deadlock was seen between the Government and the Opposition over the suspension of several MPs in the previous Monsoon Session due to alleged unruly behavior in Rajya Sabha.
- The suspended MPs were demonstrating every day in front of the Gandhi Statue in the Parliament complex.
- This demonstration was led by the support of Opposition leader Mallikarjun Kharge and other MPs.
- Due to this, Adjournment Sine Die was invoked a day before the predetermined day.
- Adjournment Sine Die is a powerful device that impacts the working of Parliament and affects the productivity of the Sessions of the Houses.
- It simply is the consequence of the unruly behavior of the members of Parliament or wrong measures used by them to proceed with sittings in Parliament.
Difference Between Adjournment, Adjournment Sine Die, and Prorogation
Listed are the meaning and differences between Adjournment, Prorogation, and Adjournment Sine Die.
- An adjournment stops the task in a sitting for a restricted time, which may be weeks, days, or hours.
- The reassembly time is defined.
- An adjournment does not end a session of the Parliament House and only ends a sitting.
- The management of Adjournment lies with the House of Parliament's presiding officer.
Adjournment Sine Die:
- Adjournment sine die means releasing a sitting of Parliament for an uncertain period.
- Adjournment Sine Die is when the Parliament House is adjourned without designating a time or specific date for reuniting.
- The presiding officer of the Parliament House has the power to declare Adjournment Sine Die.
- Prorogation implies closing a Parliament House session by an order given by the President under article 85(2)(a) of the Constitution of India.
- Prorogation closes both the sitting and session of the Parliament House.
- After the presiding officer declares Parliament House as Adjourned Sine Die, the President publishes a notice of the session prorogation within a few days.
- The President has the command to postpone the House while in session.
|Important Notes for UPSC|
|Aravalli Range||Arbitration Council of India|
|Aditya L1 Mission||Adjournment Motion|
|Consumer Price Index||Dams in India|
|Difference Between NSE and BSE||Difference between Western Coastal Plains and Eastern Coastal Plains|